Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: part # 1 paper patching the ML

Has anyone tried the Hornady #6617 bullet in their 1/60t PRB barrel?? I would like to try this bullet or similar 240gr in my 1/60 GPR, sized to bore and patched up maybe?? Simply something different to PRB. I do love PRB too though.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master

bigted
    I have some (a BUNCH) of Minie that I wanted to try and wondered about the tail and the HB of the boolit. Guess the picture you posted solves that.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    This thread hasn't been updated in a long time.
    I'm still paper patching the same way after many years. Some rifles and boolets I do a little different but the Lee 500 S&W boolets are still the same.

This Bull was my 2020 bull. Had some bad luck health wise and got to go only a couple times. Not seeing much for elk, when I saw this one I went after him.
    I ranged the shot, set the sight, and dropped him in his tracks.

The boolet was a Lee 500 S&W hardened to about 7 BHN. It weighed 458 grains. I wrapped them with 9# onion skin and sized to .501

This is the Boolet I took out of the bull.

I held for a high shoulder/spine shot. The elk was very close to private land and had to be anchored where he was to keep him from entering private.

This load has been so consistent that I have never looked for any other load. It just works.

Congratulations! That looks like a nice bull and a successful hunt.

Boolit Master
    You use that pretty regular for killing stuff as usual ,congrats /Ed

Banned
    nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Whole lot of meat !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There are times I think what would have happened if I had not ever developed this bullet for a muzzleloader bullet. I honestly don't know where I would have landed. I'm just glad I got to here with it.

Super Moderator

...................Excellent!

Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

BTW, the Lee 405 HB still has a fair amount of grease grooves on it after being sized down to bore size, so could be shot naked and lubed if you like. - Nobade
    Should this is have a wad under it ? I know nothing about black powder, is the hole in the bottom small enough to not worry about? I just got a .45 from a member here and have nothing else to put in it yet. Thanks

Beautiful bull and great story, also thanks for all your contributions here, I really enjoy it and appreciate you all!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    BTW, the Lee 405 HB still has a fair amount of grease grooves on it after being sized down to bore size, so could be shot naked and lubed if you like. - Nobade
    Should this is have a wad under it ? I know nothing about black powder, is the hole in the bottom small enough to not worry about? I just got a .45 from a member here and have nothing else to put in it yet. Thanks

Beautiful bull and great story, also thanks for all your contributions here, I really enjoy it and appreciate you all!!
    I'd try it both ways and see which worked better but would suspect that no wad would be best. If the wad sometimes sticks in the hole and sometimes doesn't, it won't be accurate. BTW, lube it first before sizing down so you don't collapse the grooves.

Thanks a ton! Ever use the Lee REAL boolits for muzzleloaders? I have limited experience with them, tumble lubed in white label 45-45-10, they worked fine, very easy clean up. I really want to try paper patching. Thanks again
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Been following this for years and have been thinking about something for a while. What if one were to set up on mill/drill and open GC area up almost to band on one of the holes to or at a couple over to be sized up during final push. Throw center of gravity off to tail of Boolit even though made for check? I think we all know and seen what bad tails can do, does this act like a kind of boat tail as cast or would a square tail fly well? Guess I need to get me on of them there molds.

Boolit Master
    I would only be guessing if I told you that I know what would happen. I thought about doing just what you are talking about. What I ended up doing is nothing. The bullet is a fantastic game bullet as it is. It is accurate, and consistent, both on game and on target as it is.
    I have shot a ton of big game with muzzleloaders. This is the only bullet that I know for a fact works every time.
    I have shot deer with Hornady bullets and they died, but with the Lee 500 S&W bullets they die in their tracks not at the end of a long trail.

Boolit Master

Hi guys. Just finished reading this thread and am chomping at the bit to try PP handgun boolits in my 45 hawken. Can any of you gents who have one of them and have done this, enlighten me as to what paper and size die I will need for this endeavor? I'm thinking I'm supposed to size down to .451 and then patch up to .459. Am I ok to use regular (12bhn) alloy for these boolits, or will they be too hard to push down the bore? Thanks for your help.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    All of my rifles shoot best with a bullet that is slip fit. Use 9# onion skin or Strathmore tracing paper works great in my 45's. You will want a finished size of .446 to .448
    The hardness you will want is between 8 and 12 bhn. You can tweak that to your needs.

Boolit Master
    Many moons ago, I owned a Mowrey .45 ML with a fast-twist barrel (1-28) and shot a 380gr PP bullet which was originally designed for the 45-70. I recall that it was accurate but oh my Lord, the recoil was horrible with that thin, curved butt plate. I wound up selling it to a friend who carried more than shot...

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I recently purchased an H&R inline .58 ML, along with some round balls - so I'll have to figure out a good diameter in the bigger caliber. I'm probably going with a modified Minie ball, since a long design will consume a huge amount of lead and probably kick like a bay mule.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I'm not eager to pummel myself senseless with the brass buttplate on this hawken. Been down that road many years ago with a 50 and 54 hawken. I'm thinking of using 200-250 grain SWC's at moderate velocities, for medium game and cheap plinking.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    I cut the Cresent plate off mine and put a limbsaver pad on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been PP my cartridge guns for a while using a BACO slick flat base and the patch just turned over the edge.
    All the posts I have read on here have had a tail on the patch and usually a hollow base slug.
    I would like to use the same bullet and patch combination in my ML target rifle 1-16 twist.
    Has anyone used a folded base and does it load OK without coming off? I thought about sitting it on a wad when loading and the wad might stop the base unfolding.
    Keith

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast