RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 452-200-RF in a 1911

I have the lite weight version of that .45 cal RNFP. I think it's 160-grain. It works well in my 1911. I'm using wadcutter magazines. If you don't know what those are, look back in some of the older posts. You should be able to find pictures. If you can't find them, let me know & I'll troll through the old posts for you.

Edit:
    Post #5 of this thread shows the difference in a wadcutter mag. - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=wadcutter
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 12-31-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: add info
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Mold
    HI 35 rem and lylejb,

I've not yet slugged the barrel or shot commercial through it, so i'm not sure how those factors will give an indication of what's going on.

It is an original WWI service issue pistol, which was refurbed with a new slide and High Standard barrel at Ogden Arsenal for WWII issue, so I won't want to do any modifications to it, as in my mind that would ruin its history.

I will run a box of commercial FMJ through it to see how it performs, but after that I intend to only shoot cast through it, so as not to further wear the barrel.

as with you lylejb, mid velocity / plinking loads are all i intend to use in it, but i would like at least a bit better accuracy from it if i can by modifying loads / etc.

cheers for your help!

Ralbsy

Boolit Mold
    Well, I shot a box of Norinco 230 grain FMJ through my 1911 today, grouping the same as the cast bullet (boolit) rounds i'd put together, so the question is, is it the pistol or is it that i can't shoot pistols for toffees...!?!?

or both

Ralbsy

Boolit Master
    Well, that's a tough question to answer from this side of the pond

I would suggest firing from sandbags, or get to know someone with a ransom rest, if possible.

Of course, this "research" would be enough excuse for lots of practice
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Mold

I'm Thinking of using this boolit is Percussion Revolvers

Would any one know if this bullet the Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt (Long Colt) (452 Diameter) 200 Grain Flat Nose is the same length as the LEE 200 grain Black Powder bullet? If so than it should fit under the loading rammer with out having to remove the cylinder. If it is I like the design, I was planning to design almost the same thing for my Black Powder Percussion Revolvers, Uberti/Piettia 1858 NMA Remington, Colt 1860, Dragoons and the Euro Arms Rodgers and Spencer I like the flat noise design this would be for hunting Big Game, Deer Bear etc.

I have had good results using that bullet in several 1911s as well as my XDTAC. Loaded to a short 1.175"OAL, which just covers the crimp groove & then TC. You should back off your charge wts about 5% from loads w/ a 200grLSWC that is loaded longer.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    I shoot the Lee round flat nose 90697 (452-200) in all of my standard config 1911s (not the Clark guns!), and in both of my Sig P210s with about 2% tin and 3% antimony (foundry type) (perhaps a bit less FT; this is an easy bullet to cast) added to range salvage.

The sig won't feed an H&G 68, and since the LEE is easier to cast, that is what my guests get to shoot in the 1911s.

Boolit Master
    As to the OP’s original question, I’ve used the Lee .452” 200gr RFN in my Springfield Armory 1911 and it fed fine.

Accuracy was however not up to nearly that of the 200gr H&G #68 style SWC. Most likely due to an undersized mold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12