MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cost of H & R Handi-rifle?

Boolit Master

cost of H & R Handi-rifle?

I was wondering what people have paid for the Handi-rifle recently? I am thinking of one in .357, or 500 S & W. I know the pistol caliber models are hard to find. I have chedked MSRP, but I know in reality these can be quite a bit cheaper in the stores. Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Bought one for the little woman 6 months ago in 30-30. Paid a whopping 235.00 for it.

Boolit Bub
    The cost will depend on the action. The SB-1 action is usually found in shotguns. The SB-2 action is on modern center fire actions. The SB-1 type will cost used in the neighborhood of $50.00 to how bad you want it. The SB-2 modern center fire types will go used for $100.00 +.
    If you want a center fire rifle, buy a rifle on the SB-2 action and search the internet for the .357 magnum barrel. The barrels are EASY to mount. A complete SB-2 action rifle will probably go for $200.00 or less. Get one and mount a good used barrel. Many people are getting a .357 barrel and re chambering it to .357 maximum with very good results. Get one and enjoy. Lots of good H&R info on greybeard site.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. .357 maximum is another caliber I had considered.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a 30- 30 249.80$ includes tax out the door. I got it home and ordered a Williams receiver sight with target knobs that added about 95$ I hope its a good shooter

Boolit Master
    Might want to check, I don't think .357 barrels will be available for a while. So ordering one could be a problem, best bet is to try to find one stocked at a dealer or a pawn shop. I've been looking for one too, none so far.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    So, I was thinking about maybe starting with one in 7mm-08 and then getting either a .357 or a S & W 500 barrel for fun (reduced loads). I have heard some barrels don't switch with others. At least something to think about.

I went deer hunting this December for the first time with a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum and an antlerless only permit, when what did I see in a guy's field but a huge buck about 130 yards away (a buddy was with me and he thought that was about how far away it was). So maybe a 7mm.-08 would come in handy?

exile

Boolit Master
    I just bought one a gunshow last weekend. New condition plus Simmons scope and chambered for 357 Magnum. $190.00. I think that I did very well as it is only the second one that I have found chambered for 357. Neil

Boolit Master

I have a 500 S&W I bought this summer
    With reduced loads it is a joy to shoot and accurate enough for me to plink at ground hogs with a 350 gr boolit
    But I have to admit it will get the job done
    My brother used it with the Lee 440 gr GC boolit on 2 deer this fall
    50/50 WW and pure , water droped
    Neither deer made 10 yds

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

My full stock 45-70 Handi was $200 at a gun show.

Money well spent
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Earlier this month new 45/70, $240 , gun store NWPA.

Boolit Grand Master
    NoDakJak, that 357 Handi you bought was a real steal. I have been to many gun shows and NEVER seen a used 357 for sale.
    Exile, that 357max would have been good for that 130yd deer. The performance of the max, in a rifle, is outstanding. You can take the 180gr slugs, like the Hornady ssp or the Rem 180hp up to 2200fps and a little more, at least I can in my 357max, a Ruger #1.
    Be forwarned, they can be kind of addictive, like leverguns and castboolits

Boolit Bub

handi-rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    Might want to check, I don't think .357 barrels will be available for a while. So ordering one could be a problem, best bet is to try to find one stocked at a dealer or a pawn shop. I've been looking for one too, none so far.
    I purchased my .357 barrel from a member of the greybeard site. I mounted it myself. It works ok. I'm leaving mine .357 mag because .357 maximum brass seems to be scarce around here. If you start switching barrels, just make sure the action is strong enough to be safe. My first .30-30 became a .30-40 before use. My next became a .30-30 improved. I just recently mounted a .30-30 barrel on my frame to use as a .30-30. I'm VERY pleased with all of them. If you have difficulty finding a .357 barrel, try some of the other sites. Just stay with cast boolits.
    Tom

New they are around $249 in my area. Used they are going for $135 (low) to $215, or so. I think the Kittery Trading Post in Maine has a used SB2 .357 Mag now for $215. They are online, and I think they will ship to your local dealer. Oh, the web site is www.ktpguns.com

Hmm, I just checked and it isn't up so it is either a recent addition, or it has sold. They have a new one in stock too, but I think that is an SB-1. Sometimes it takes them a while to get used guns posted, and I was there just a couple of days before Christmas.

Boolit Master

I bought a 223 with a red dot on it for $200.00 a few months ago. It now has one on the compact NcStar scopes on it. Have not fired it yet but would like to get a 357bbl also and maybe a 28ga.

Boolit Master
    The reason I started all this was due to the fact that I received some gift certificates to Cabela's for Christmas. I have called all three Cabela's in NE and .243 is what they have. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky once the snow gets down to a reasonable level for travel. I have to admit what I am leaning toward now is a 500 S & W. Those seem to be more common than the small pistol calibers, if you can call the 500 a pistol caliber. Thanks for all your input.

exile

Boolit Master
    Actually I call the 500 S&W a hot loaded 50-70 as they are just about the same size.

Boolit Master
    Hey it's not henry Bowman's 4 bore, but it is as close as I am likely to get.

exile

exil...the Handi rifle's are running in the $235-$255 range round my area...don't rule out the 44 Mag barrel...mines set up w/a 357 & 44 Mag barrel set, bought the reciever used as well as both barrels and stock set...nice set up, I like it.

Boolit Master
    The .44 would be nice. It would be legal to hunt deer with in NE, and I would not have to buy dies, boolits, brass, primers, powder, molds, etc., since I already have that stuff.

exile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast