Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Research, Inc.

Thonotosassa, Florida/ Pensacola, N. Carolina

Magnum Research, Inc.

Has anybody had any experience with the BFR 30-30? I saw one at the gun shop in Burnsville, NC and now it is in my dreams! Of course I shoot the Win 94 in 30-30 so it makes perfect sense to have a revolver in the same caliber doesn't it?
    http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...tCode=BFR30-30
    Last edited by Philngruvy; 12-26-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add link

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Philngruvy View Post
    Has anybody had any experience with the BFR 30-30? I saw one at the gun shop in Burnsville, NC and now it is in my dreams! Of course I shoot the Win 94 in 30-30 so it makes perfect sense to have a revolver in the same caliber doesn't it?
    http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...tCode=BFR30-30
    I don't have the 30-30 but have the .475 and 45-70. Wonderful guns and so accurate they are scary. I wish I could buy one of every one they make.

my bfr is a 500 it is very accuract. I will never forget finally being able to hold that big kicking thing on target 10 times in a row. the best group I have ever shot with anything in my life with anything. but I am not a very good shot. certainly can't shoot like 44man. but the gun is awesome. my b/c gap is 003. sorry can't attest to the 30-30. but bfr's are very good guns.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Master
    Bottle neck cases in revolvers have never been a good idea. At anything like normal pressure (IE factory loads) they tend to lock the cylender.
    With factory loads the 30/30 (carbine) and the 44 mag revolver have about the same energy. If you have to down load the 30/30 revolver and limit it to plinker class loads it is far less versatile than a 44 mag revolver. The 44 will also be a smaller revolver not requiring the streached frame.
    A 30/30 revolver would be a novelty but IMO not a practicle choice. Any of the standard revolver cartridges would be a better way to go.
    Our firarms industry hase gone away from making things that make sence to making anything that will sell regardless of how little sence it makes.
    Opinion only? yes maybe so but one that makes sence.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Bottle neck cases in revolvers have never been a good idea. At anything like normal pressure (IE factory loads) they tend to lock the cylender.
    With factory loads the 30/30 (carbine) and the 44 mag revolver have about the same energy. If you have to down load the 30/30 revolver and limit it to plinker class loads it is far less versatile than a 44 mag revolver. The 44 will also be a smaller revolver not requiring the streached frame.
    A 30/30 revolver would be a novelty but IMO not a practicle choice. Any of the standard revolver cartridges would be a better way to go.
    Our firarms industry hase gone away from making things that make sence to making anything that will sell regardless of how little sence it makes.
    Opinion only? yes maybe so but one that makes sence.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS
    I have sent an email to Magnum Research Inc. asking about this problem and how they have made it work. I am anxiously awaiting an answer from them. I must say, I was disappointed to hear the negative comments about the bottleneck/revolver problem, but it is good info to have before spending a bundle on something that doesn't really work well. Thanks for the heads up.
    Ron

I found this on the MRI website on their precision BFR page.

Note: cartridges like the 7.62x39 provide unsafe or poor performance. Generally speaking bottleneck rimless cases will set back and not allow the cylinder to rotate freely. Additionally some military calibers have a huge variety of ammo currently available, some with steel cases and corrosive primers that provide poor function or require extreme measures of care to maintain the quality of the BFR revolver.

the 30-30 has a rim doesn't it? Gun tests gave it a very favorable review. and they of course don't take advertising dollars. They actually tell the truth. does anyone actually have any experience with this thing before they say it doesn't work? I think mri has been selling them for ten years or so. but what do they know?
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 500bfrman View Post
    I found this on the MRI website on their precision BFR page.

Note: cartridges like the 7.62x39 provide unsafe or poor performance. Generally speaking bottleneck rimless cases will set back and not allow the cylinder to rotate freely. Additionally some military calibers have a huge variety of ammo currently available, some with steel cases and corrosive primers that provide poor function or require extreme measures of care to maintain the quality of the BFR revolver.

the 30-30 has a rim doesn't it? Gun tests gave it a very favorable review. and they of course don't take advertising dollars. They actually tell the truth. does anyone actually have any experience with this thing before they say it doesn't work? I think mri has been selling them for ten years or so. but what do they know?

Yes, 30-30 is rimmed. And you make a good point that MRI has been selling them for a while. Note also that they do NOT have any models of bottlenecked rimless case revolvers. I don't see how a rim would make any difference in case setback but what do I really know about it.

I received my reply from MRI today. I think that it was great of them to respond to my inquiry as rapidly as they did.
    Here it is.

Ronald,

Yes, case setback and cylinder lockup can be a problem with any bottle-necked case in a revolver, including the BFR chambered for ..30-30 Winchester. We find that the key to preventing this problem from occurring is to keep the chambers clean and absolutely dry. We clean the chambers with solvent, wipe them dry with a patch, and then swab them with alcohol. Using this procedure eliminates the problem by allowing the brass case to “cling” to the chamber walls during firing. If you run the gun with the chamber walls even lightly oiled, setback and lockup are very common. As you probably know, the reason this happens is because, when pressurized, there is force exerted between the shoulder and the head of the brass case, which causes the case to stretch. If the chamber walls are dry, the sides of the case exert enough friction to prevent excessive case stretching. And, of course, with straight-walled cases, this potential problem is eliminated. Thanks for your inquiry.

Larry Pierce

Magnum Research

Customer Service/Sales

(800) 772-6168 ext. 207

larry.pierce@magnumresearch.com

I wouldn't want a pistol that requires this kind of maintenance. Kind of like some of the women I used to date.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Can't help with the 30-30 but I have the 45/70 and the 45lc/410. I absolutely love both. They are the finest revolvers I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    They are the finest revolvers I've ever owned.
    typical response of a bfr owner. and they don't cost 3 grand either.

Boolit Master
    I got one this year in 475. I put up some ammo, nothing special just ammo with 400gn boolits. Went to my 100 yard range and proceeded to ring the 12"x12" gong without a mis. I have never done that with any other revolver. It just seemed too easy.
    Now if I could only get that kind of power and accuracy in a revolver the weight of a single six!!!
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    I don't own one.
    But, I do wish they would make some in smaller calibers. If they made one in 375 SM I would own one. Same goes for a .22rf.
    The ones I see around here seem to have suffered the same as some of the 500SW, buyers/owners with large egos and small wrist. May also be of the type that don't reload and can't tone them down to a reasonably pleasant level.
    The 375/38-55 is the one I would have of any of their current offerings, then maybe the one in 475. They seem to want to cater to a small crowd it seems to me. I think if they would drop down a frame size they would open theri market up?
    Long story short, the calibers they offer are way over what I need to hunt with or shoot in my monthly matches.
    jeff

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I don't own one.
    But, I do wish they would make some in smaller calibers. If they made one in 375 SM I would own one. Same goes for a .22rf.
    The ones I see around here seem to have suffered the same as some of the 500SW, buyers/owners with large egos and small wrist. May also be of the type that don't reload and can't tone them down to a reasonably pleasant level.
    The 375/38-55 is the one I would have of any of their current offerings, then maybe the one in 475. They seem to want to cater to a small crowd it seems to me. I think if they would drop down a frame size they would open theri market up?
    Long story short, the calibers they offer are way over what I need to hunt with or shoot in my monthly matches.
    jeff
    But there are the Ruger revolvers to fill in. MR has made the Ruger into the great large bores with larger frames and cylinders.
    I understand what you are saying about wanting something smaller on the same platform but the BFR is a super hunting revolver.
    I feel it was so great to have a fine revolver made larger that Ruger did not want to do.

Banned

i am kinda surprised they haven't picked up on the supermags as well.
    the 375 win does seem to be a goodnuff revolver round though.
    but i wonder if it really would beat the 375 supermag in a revolver.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i am kinda surprised they haven't picked up on the supermags as well.
    the 375 win does seem to be a goodnuff revolver round though.
    but i wonder if it really would beat the 375 supermag in a revolver.
    I had a .375 revolver and the big problem I had with mine was the brass. Since only WW made it, I was stuck with all kinds of rim and head space dimensions. I had to file too many cases.

Banned

i am stuck with the win stuff for the high pressure rounds in the 375 supermag wesson of mine, but have never had an issue with the rims.
    i do have to use a different trim length for the brass then what the books call for.
    not really a problem as i only have one gun in this cal.
    must have a bit more room behind the cylinder.
    thinking a bit of counterbore for the rims would help,or maybe win just needs to make better brass.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if 225 brass would work? or have any use.
    38-55, or 375 brass cut down always works...........and 30-30.
    If, someone came out with one, Starline may or could very well jump in on this.

But there are the Ruger revolvers to fill in. MR has made the Ruger into the great large bores with larger frames and cylinders.

I have seen very few unmodified out of the box Rugers that would shoot well. I have always been under the impression that these kind of took the place of the Sevilles to a point. A poor mans FA.
    I understand what you are saying about wanting something smaller on the same platform but the BFR is a super hunting revolver.

When they started using bottle necked cases. 1, they either figured somthing out that others have tried for a long time to fix. Or, 2 they were lacking in sales.

I feel it was so great to have a fine revolver made larger that Ruger did not want to do.

Oh, I honestly think that if the 357max had not caused such a ruckus as to the top strap issues that Bill would have went on to bigger and better things. If the BFR were chambered in one max case, say just the 357 max. I would bet money that one would give all the other combined and sold a run for their money.
    What does one of the BFR rigs weigh, scoped and loaded? 6-7 pounds maybe.
    That is where I have issues. I know not a pistol, but I could have a rifle that weighed what one of these weighs that would shoot a lot better, a lot flatter and a lot further and kill critters just as dead.
    If the BFR's quality is as good as I have been lead to believe, I honestly feel they are missing out on some marketing.
    Heck if they had a custom shop and offered a few calibers that were not normal stock items and gave a heads up that there would be say a year wait. I still think there is a marketable place.
    jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The 375 SM in a 8" Dan Wesson will do anything the 38-55 FACTORY loadings can do. My standard hunting load pushes the Lyman 375248 at 1345fps (Average on my CRONY). I can push a GC version faster but have no need. Whitetails do not need anymore.
    BUT I personally think the .414SM or .445 Sm are far better calibers in a revolver. There is a difference in the impact of a .41 255gr boolit compared to a 255gr .378 boolit. The .375 IS a better long range shooter (200 meters) with the same boolit weight out of my Dan BUT I would rather trade off the 2" difference in trajectory for the better smack on target. Plus the .414 & .445 SM's can launch the same weight boolit as the 375 a bit faster without much efffort plus heavier boolits if needed.
    BUT sadly the Dan's are a dead issue.... THANKS CZ !!! Collectors are taking the prices beyond my pocketbook. Thankfully I have the frames to work with & try out some interesting calibers.
    Next will be a levergun in the Supermag Calibers. Think about a 414SM Winchester Bigbore... I am.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    What does one of the BFR rigs weigh, scoped and loaded? 6-7 pounds maybe.
    That is where I have issues. I know not a pistol, but I could have a rifle that weighed what one of these weighs that would shoot a lot better, a lot flatter and a lot further and kill critters just as dead.

jeff
    That's true Jeff. I often carry my Guide Gun or my Handi Rifle in 45/70...but the bottom line is that as large as the BFR is, it is still easier to carry than a rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast