RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Polyethylene Bullet Lube?

Polyethylene Bullet Lube?

Has anyone read this patent 4465883? I was trying to look around on the internet trying to figure out westcasting's bullet lube. Just wondering if anyone else read this or had some of there bullets and could say a little bit about the coating on the bullets themselves.

westcastings.com is the bullet website.

If you have time check out the patents referenced in the one above too.

Looking forward to hearing what people think.
    Casting Timmy

Banned

This has come up before, I think there is a company here doing it too. I believe it is some sort of paint.

Any of our members from Down-Under use those boolits?

Gear

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I would be leery of any lube that leaves a film buildup in the grooves
    Regards
    John

I really wouldn't be surprised if it works, it kind of sounds like a wax based tumble lube. I think it's neat when someone finds out a use for an existing product.

I don't think that it sounds like something I want to do, but I do like finding out how other people do things. Just always looking to improve what I do.

Similar to Federal "Nyclad"?

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    Westcasting and Hawksbury both use this coating. The Hawksbury ones used to be Blue so we call them Smurfs as it's that shade of blue. Shot a heap out of my 38/55 with no problems.
    Juddy

Juddy
    Can you tell me more about the coating itself? It's not very sticky is it? Sounds like they learned how to make it stick good to the bullet though from reading through the patent.

The reason I'm so curious is that I wonder if this is the basis for some high temp commerical lubes out there. You could probably run this lube through a luberisizer and get a bullet with lube groves filled with a non-sticky bullet lube.

Depending on the costs of the ingredients, it could be a low cost lube. Then again it could be a high cost lube and that's why they coat it on the bullet instead of filling the lube groves up.

Would greatly appreciate hearing anything else you know about this lube or some of your observations about it.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Tim

Boolit Mold
    The coatings are completely dry and cover the entire bullet so I presume it is tumble process.

The Westcastings (Gold Supreme) are a matte gold and the Hawkesbury Blue is a shiny navy blue. The Westcastings seem more durable and I have fired 10s of thousands of them in 9mm and 357. Said to be OK up to 1700 fps and suitable for Glocks with polygonal barrels as there is no leading at these velocities.

Really nice to handle and no lube buildup in seating dies.

Have asked the question on several other forums without success; how do I duplicate this on my own cast boolits.

Who makes this stuff?

If this is the patent that's right for those bullets, they heat them up first. I can't remember how they cover them ith wax, but after coating they remove the bulk of the wax. They said in small batches it could as simple as rolling down a ramp.

It's interesting to note that the Be Square 185 listed in the patent has an amber color when I found the wax through some web site using google. The same web site also listed Be Square 175 as black in color. (The 175 isn't listed in the patent, but I do remember that color from the westcasting website.)

I'm not really interested in using the lube as a coating, but think it sounds like it could be something very similar to hard commerical lubes. (Won't pick up debris and other things.)