RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Milk Jug 300 Yard 6.5 Swede

Banned

Larry sorry about the bullets but I do have a .268 RCBS sizer I'll send you to use. Gunked up with LBT lube but if you throw a little heat to it it'll melt right off.

I have been informed Joe has removed all hs posts on this thread.

May I suggest Larry you complete your testing as you planned to do and report your findings on a new thread. You should include your initial results as well.

I will give you time to assemble or acquire as much info as you need from this thread before closing it. Please PM when you are comfortable you have all the info you require from this thread.

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

Oh my my
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

And just when progress was beginning to take place. Oh well the drudgery goes on.

Larry the mould is on it's way. let me know (in the new thread) when it gets to you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I have been informed Joe has removed all hs posts on this thread.

May I suggest Larry you complete your testing as you planned to do and report your findings on a new thread. You should include your initial results as well.

I will give you time to assemble or acquire as much info as you need from this thread before closing it. Please PM when you are comfortable you have all the info you require from this thread.

Take care

Bob
    Wow

I take the wife out to dinner with freinds, come home and find a melt down here!

I will do that Bob, thanks for the extra time. I will sift through what is remaining tomorrow and copy what information is necessary. I will then PM you when finished as you request. With the stuff coming from all the supporters here, including Joe, I will continue the tests and start a new thread. I do hope Joe hasn't decided not to send the sizer and some of his bullets. I thought we were making some progress toward a comprehensive test with all the right componants finally. Sorry about all this, I'll keep testing and trying.

Larry Gibson

In Remebrance

I knew this was too good to be true.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It appears Joe has taken his toys with him, Larry, and therefore will remain in his custody. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Larry I looked and found a new box of Norma brass so will send you 10 of them for your test. I checked the web and they're .477 so that should cancel out the taping part when you're fireforming them to your chamber. If you need the .268 sizer drop me a note and I'll get the stuff out to you asap.
    Last edited by Pat I.; 01-15-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    This started as a VERY educational site. Enough so that I bought a Swede to work with.

I check back this AM to find out that Star Metal got his feelings hurt and picked up his marbles and left AGAIN.

The really sad part is that he was allowed to delete All of the information he had previously shared with many (9400+)

I do not know what was said to make him mad but if you are willing to post something it should stay here as long as ANYONE wishes to refer back to it.

Without a doubt Joe has a vast amount if information earned over many years of study. I think it is a dis service that on a site that is here to help, and educate all who wish to learn more about casting and reloading safely that all of it was allowed to be deleted. If he wished to delete his last post that is OK, but once you put something in print it should stay there. It becomes public property once you hit the submit reply key.

Bad Water Bill he wan't allowed to he did it on his own using the delete key.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    Larry I looked and found a new box of Norma brass so will send you 10 of them for your test. I checked the web and they're .477 so that should cancel out the taping part when you're fireforming them to your chamber. If you need the .268 sizer drop me a note and I'll get the stuff out to you asap.
    Pat

Please send them. I have also started a new thread in the "Special Projects" section that pertains to my tests. I am going to continue testing as planed. I will make further posts there regarding HV loads in the 6.5 Swede.

Larry Gibson

Banned
    Been awhile for this thread but I have some new information and believe some of you will find interesting. swheeler had requested of me to shoot this load over my chrono at 300 yards. I finally got around to doing that today. After I got the information I need I called Sierra and asked the ballistic tech if he would kindly calculate the BC of my 6.5 Kurtz with the conditions I gave him. Upon getting that BC figure from him I went searching on the internet for ballistic calculators. Using Sierra's suggested BC of .280 and my SD figures I got this chart:

What's interesting in this chart to me is the size of the animal suggested that the load is good for per yardage differences. The chart is pretty informative in that it gives the velocity, energies, momentum, time of flight, path, scope clicks, and suggested animal weight. It wasn't until I viewed this chart that I realized how potent that 135 grain cast Kurtz is. Sierra also stated that the flat nose on the bullet contributed a lot towards really bursting the milk jug. The results might not have been so dramatic if the bullet nose was more poWhat's interesting in this chart to me is the size of the animal suggested that the load is good for per yardage differences. The chart is pretty informative in that it gives the velocity, energies, momentum, time of flight, path, scope clicks, and suggested animal weight. It wasn't until I viewed this chart that I realized how potent that 135 grain cast Kurtz is. Sierra also stated that the flat nose on the bullet contributed a lot towards really bursting the milk jug. The results might not have been so dramatic if the bullet nose was more pointed.

On another note I finally got some new powders and have resumed looking for new loads for both the Swede and my Mannlicher. When I discover something interesting and worthwhile I'll report on it. In the meantime for those of you still testing this load, don't give up. Do try some of the other slow powder and try to find that magic sweet spot.....it is there.

Banned

This Is What Can Happen

This is what buffer can cause when it goes wrong.

This was with a slow powder, slower then 4831 and no it wasn't a SEE.

The web bulge is also what can happen when you push the 06 case in the Swede because it's undersized in the web/head area. Same can happen with using the 06 case in the 7.7 Jap and pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    How a pitted barrel can shoot so good baffles me.
    This has been my observation. Rust damaged bores seem to be able to shoot with rediculous accuracy!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

Paydirt Again

Fellows, while many of you may have thought I wasn't doing anything with the Swede, I've actually been out testing and testing and testing...trying to find the sweet spot with different powders. No I still haven't gotten any Accurate 3100, but I did get some H4831, Reloader 22, and Vihtavour N160.

Now before I begin I'd like to say I'm getting fed up with some of the members here accusing me of lying. Mainly Mr swheeler. I get these rotten pm's from him to that effect. I can't understand it as he and I were good friends. At any rate that's between he and I and what you will get here in this report is no fancy book size post from Larry Gibson with his fancy Oehler. You're going to get a condensed to the point honest report.

Okay, the target shown was shot today with five rounds each, one set loaded with 35 grains of Reloader 22, the other five set loaded with 35 grains of N160. Both had the shot buffer in them, the brass was 06 WCC53, and primers Wolf Large Rifle. The bore was cleaned before the shooting. On the group at the upper right was the first shot from the clean barrel. That group is 1 inch. there are two flyers low left. Both these loads shoot higher then my 31 grain 4350 load and they should because they are faster!!!!! Yes you read that right. They are clocking over 2400 fps. No chrono pics, don't believe, tough horse hockey.

Now some more interesting information. Being both those powders are slower then the recommended 4831 and especially the Accurate 3100 by 45.2.1...I did with the first test loads load them as he had specified with the powder a dime thickness below the case wall/body junction and the rest buffer. I had told 45.2.1 that they didn't group well, especially the N160 loads, but they seemed to be really cracking along pretty good. Well I was right. I loaded some for the chrono and they were doing 2879 fps with the N160 powder. Get this, they were staying on the paper, but the group was terrible. They didn't keyhole, they didn't strip and lead the bore, and they didn't fly off into wonder wonder land. This was with AC 50/50 alloy.

So now I'll close in with minute increment changes in the powder to tighten that group. So now we're up to little over 2400 fps with accuracy.

Again I apologize for what seems like arrogance or anger in this post, but you fellows really don't know how much flack I receive in pm's and emails. Now the target:

Banned
    Just to show you fellows how touchy this caliber is for cast I just went out and shot some loads with 34 grains of H4831 to give it another fair shake. No good. Now you seen the earlier group with the R22 and N160, well these 34 grain loads of H4831 went into a round FIVE inch group. I chronographed them too and they were doing 2376 which you see is right in the sweet spot ball park velocity...but no go with that powder.

All we need to see are the loads, the velocity, and the group sizes. That's it...that's all other's need to know to find their Swede's sweet spot.

Super Moderator

.............Joe, what are those 3 holes on the right from? Man, not only are those the cleanest boolit holes I've ever seen, but it's the most consistent example of vertical dispersion ever!

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............Joe, what are those 3 holes on the right from? Man, not only are those the cleanest boolit holes I've ever seen, but it's the most consistent example of vertical dispersion ever!

................Buckshot
    Must of been using 357 for those, they look larger!
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

................Buckshot
    Awwww heck......you've gone and ruined everything now Rick. Y'all going to force me to buy real targets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Awwww heck......you've gone and ruined everything now Rick. Y'all going to force me to buy real targets.
    Pizza comes in a ready to use target holder. If you feel like getting fancy.