RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .224 bullets for AR-15

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Starmetal

My answer to 340six was not "off on the twist". I answered his question in relation to his using 225415 which is the mould he asked about. My answer was relevent to the question asked and is correct.

Larry Gibson

The fact is Larry if I can push my slugs faster then the 2100 fps with decent accuracy in my 7 twist you aren't correct that he can go only to 2100 fps in a 12 twist. He should be able to duplicate what I get.

Boolit Grand Master

Joe

You might try reading what I said before you try to ruin another simple thread. I said;

"You can push it to 2100+ fps in the 12" twist. With some other mould designs you can get ball ammo equivelent accuracy at a little higher velocity but that depends on a lot of things."

Thus you can see I also said he could get reasonable accuracy at a higher velocity. You also missed the "+" in the 2100+ fps. If you want to post something then simply do it. It is your incessant denegrating of others that probably accounts for the negative PMs you mentioned on other threads. There have been many, many threads and post regarding 225415s use in a 12" twist .223. None of them mentioned best accuracy over 2100 fps or so. Only some of them mentioned any "reasonable" accuracy over that. I have been shooting 225415 in 14, 12 10, 9 and 7" twists (including the 12, 9 and 7" twist ARs I currently have) since '70 and have never gotten anything close to best accuracy over 2100 fps or so. On occasion I have gotten reasonable (ball equivelent - 2-3 moa) at higher velocity as mentioned.

Again, my answer refelected my and most others experience with 225415 in .223s of various twist. We all understand you shoot everything faster and more accurately than the rest of us. I've no doubt 340six will find his results more like those of the rest of us than like your results.

I am not responding to you any further on this thread. I see nno reason to ruin another thread simply be cause you have developed a great disliking for me. If you want to discuss this further take it to a PM or telephone me, you have my number.

Larry Gibson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Joe

You might try reading what I said before you try to ruin another simple thread. I said;

"You can push it to 2100+ fps in the 12" twist. With some other mould designs you can get ball ammo equivelent accuracy at a little higher velocity but that depends on a lot of things."

Thus you can see I also said he could get reasonable accuracy at a higher velocity. You also missed the "+" in the 2100+ fps. If you want to post something then simply do it. It is your incessant denegrating of others that probably accounts for the negative PMs you mentioned on other threads. There have been many, many threads and post regarding 225415s use in a 12" twist .223. None of them mentioned best accuracy over 2100 fps or so. Only some of them mentioned any "reasonable" accuracy over that. I have been shooting 225415 in 14, 12 10, 9 and 7" twists (including the 12, 9 and 7" twist ARs I currently have) since '70 and have never gotten anything close to best accuracy over 2100 fps or so. On occasion I have gotten reasonable (ball equivelent - 2-3 moa) at higher velocity as mentioned.

Again, my answer refelected my and most others experience with 225415 in .223s of various twist. We all understand you shoot everything faster and more accurately than the rest of us. I've no doubt 340six will find his results more like those of the rest of us than like your results.

I am not responding to you any further on this thread. I see nno reason to ruin another thread simply be cause you have developed a great disliking for me. If you want to discuss this further take it to a PM or telephone me, you have my number.

Larry Gibson
    Bad day Larry?? I don't dislike you, I dislike your rpm theory which has been proven wrong. Don't lead these members on that there is a rpm threshold, as it's more correctly stated as alloy threshold. More and more in the shooting world today the accuracy/high-rpm theory is losing it's old ground.

Another powder you can use, which is uncommon for this cartridge, is 4350. You can't get into trouble with it so choose a load that suits your velocity requirement. It starts the bullet pretty gentle, but is better with the heavier ones. You can use a filler with it too, like the shot shell buffer. When I first tried it I was surprised how well it did. I've even gone as slow as surplus 860 with surprising results. Again, a heavier bullet is preferred.
    Last edited by StarMetal; 03-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    I just ordered the Saeco #221 60 grain bullet with intentions to try it in the AR. I have the 225415 and it is ok but nothing spectacular in MY experience. That and the #221 comes in a 4 cav...
    Any feedback on the Saeco #221? I've had one sitting on my bench for a while but haven't had a chance to cast any with it yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    45 2.1 is suppose to draw up a bullet for the AR's off of dimensions from my Nato chamber in my Colt. He's going to also use some other data.
    What's the status of this??
    I could use a new mold for my AR.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    What's the status of this??
    I could use a new mold for my AR.
    I believe 45 2.1 is in the progress of gathering throat casts of the 5.56 chamber and then will sent them to BABore to cut molds.

Boolit Master
    What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the .22s in the AR?
    I put together a .450Bushmaster thinking it would be the ideal cast boolit upper, (24 twist barrel), and it will consistently do 2 moa with a variety of designs. However, it's been tough to get to 1.5 MOA and so far that's the best I can do. I get many 5 shot groups with three touching, and two flyers. This rifle will keep several condom designs under 1 MOA.

My suspicion is that the gas port is messing with the checks, and I'm wondering if you guys are seeing anything similar in the .22s.
    BD

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the .22s in the AR?
    I put together a .450Bushmaster thinking it would be the ideal cast boolit upper, (24 twist barrel), and it will consistently do 2 moa with a variety of designs. However, it's been tough to get to 1.5 MOA and so far that's the best I can do. I get many 5 shot groups with three touching, and two flyers. This rifle will keep several condom designs under 1 MOA.

My suspicion is that the gas port is messing with the checks, and I'm wondering if you guys are seeing anything similar in the .22s.
    BD
    No on the gas port. I have a bunch of AR's in different calibers and other rifles that have gas ports and none of them are rough or catch the gas check. You can tell by running a tight patch through the barrel if it has a burr...it will catch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12