Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .224 bullets for AR-15

Boolit Buddy

.224 bullets for AR-15

I have 2 AR's one 20" barrel H-Bar that is more accrate than I can shoot and one older Car-15 thats just afun plinker.
    Was looking at the Lyman 225415 55gr is that the best one for what I need as the cost of 55FMJ is way out there for me.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=104009
    I do not want a mould that extends the lube grove out the brass.
    Or that is problem when feeding.
    I think (99% chance} all will be cast with linotype or half lino half ww mix
    unless someone else has a better idea
    Last edited by 340six; 12-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.

I am new to casting for the ARs and have a lot to learn. I have the mould you are interested in along with the 225450. They are both gas checked. The 225450 lube groves are set a little farther down than the 225415. The 225415 gives you a pretty short completed round. However, they both seem to feed fine in all my ARs. However, I have yet to find an accurate load for either of them that will fully cycle the action. When I get the velocity up to guarantee reliable cycling of the action, accuracy starts to suffer big time ... 2"+ at 50yrds. I have a lot of work to do to find the right combinations of powder and bullet - will have to wait for a while until the weather starts to improve. BTW - I have only used straight WWs water dropped as the alloy. Got any good loads for these bullets you wish to share?

You might want to try the 225415 with the front lube groove empty & exposed above the case neck. I find that with a good lube, like Lyman Super Moly, I only need to lube the rear groove on that boolit.

I also find that the smaller diameter boolits are more sensitive to being seated out near the rifling than the bigger boolits are. In general, accuracy seems best below 2500fps. Some people say that the faster twists limit that to an even lower speed. I'm loading for a single shot. I don't know how much umph you need to cycle an AR.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    You might want to try the 225415 with the front lube groove empty & exposed above the case neck. I find that with a good lube, like Lyman Super Moly, I only need to lube the rear groove on that boolit.

I also find that the smaller diameter boolits are more sensitive to being seated out near the rifling than the bigger boolits are. In general, accuracy seems best below 2500fps. Some people say that the faster twists limit that to an even lower speed. I'm loading for a single shot. I don't know how much umph you need to cycle an AR.
    Jim,

I have a few AR's but let's talk about my Colt HBAR one. I put an adjustable gas valve on mine. Let me tell you that it doesn't take much umph to cycle it. Most AR's are over gassed to insure full operation under all conditions. Think about the system. The bolt/carrier system is directly linked to the bore pressure. I have the figures from Colt what the pressure is in the cylinder/piston area which you know the carrier and bolt make those up.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Think about the system. The bolt/carrier system is directly linked to the bore pressure. I have the figures from Colt what the pressure is in the cylinder/piston area which you know the carrier and bolt make those up.
    Actually, I don't know. I haven't messed around with AR style rifles at all. I really don't know anything about them. I was just commenting on the .223 cartridge in general.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    There is currently a group buy open below for a 60 gr Boolit that should be close to perfect for a AR

I just received the one of the NOE 5 cav. molds for a 55 gr FN should be dropping Boolitz soon with it. Just unpacked it today

Ken

Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    There is currently a group buy open below for a 60 gr Boolit that should be close to perfect for a AR

I just received the one of the NOE 5 cav. molds for a 55 gr FN should be dropping Boolitz soon with it. Just unpacked it today

Ken

Central NY
    Don't think the current group buy for the 60gr would be suitable for the AR -- I would suspect feeding problems .. bullet length maybe a problem. Check out the thread before committing on this one ...

Banned
    45 2.1 is suppose to draw up a bullet for the AR's off of dimensions from my Nato chamber in my Colt. He's going to also use some other data. I can tell you that the 70 grain NEI .224 bullet can be loaded to feed. The bullet 45 2.1 will draw up will be in the vicinity of 65 grains, but don't quote me on that.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered the Saeco #221 60 grain bullet with intentions to try it in the AR. I have the 225415 and it is ok but nothing spectacular in MY experience. That and the #221 comes in a 4 cav...

Boolit Buddy
    A week or so ago I got a brand new 225415 but have not used it yet.
    I may process some ww and lineotype 50/50 I have here and make a 100 or so or at least thats the plan.
    So far all I have done is find lead and store it, whe the weather is better i will process it into 1pound lyman ingets.
    I have not poured one bullet yet but sure have enough stuff lead/pot/moulds and handles.
    I have loaded tons of ammo for my dad and son {my son did most if not all of it and is a good kid!}
    Keeping teens busy halps keep them out of other things that would be bad.
    So mostly what is done was process lots of brass {clean/size/expand necks/prime} and bag them for later use

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    I just ordered the Saeco #221 60 grain bullet with intentions to try it in the AR. I have the 225415 and it is ok but nothing spectacular in MY experience. That and the #221 comes in a 4 cav...
    What were the probelms?

Boolit Buddy
    Best load with 2400 shoots about Minute of Squirrel at 50 yards for me(averaging about an inch). Not really a problem but it doesn't get me excited either. I tried a few different powders and came back to the 2400. Bullets are water dropped WW. Never got around to shooting the load over the crono.
    I meant to put some of my loaded 225415 into a mag this afternoon to see if they would at least feed in the AR. I Forgot all about it. If I get a chance tomorrow I will let you know.

Boolit Buddy
    CWME please do
    FYI this mould makes me sad that I sold off my TC with 2 barrels to buy my 29 Classic 44 as one barrel was .223 on day I will own another

Boolit Buddy
    Any Updates?

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefully your H-Bar has a 9" twist and even better if the older Car-15 has the 12" twist. Both are much better for accuracy with functional reliability than the 7" twist of many newer ARs. I suggest you size the .225 and use a good lube like Javelina, Carnauba Red, LBT Blue soft or a few others. I use Hornady GCs. Start at 17 gr of H4895 and work up in 1/2 gr increments until you get reliable functioning. Use a 1/3 gr dacron filler over the powder. Expect reliable functioning to come in the 1800 - 2000 fps range. You can push it to 2100+ fps in the 12" twist. With some other mould designs you can get ball ammo equivelent accuracy at a little higher velocity but that depends on a lot of things.

Larry Gibson

Larry, I made a 1/12 barrel for one of my AR's uppers from a {take off} barrel for 34 gr J-words bullets. Would you have a suggestion for a cast, I have a Lyman 438 and will have a 55 Bantor when Midway gets them. Thanks

Banned
    I have a preban Colt HBAR with the 7 twist and it's scoped. Actually Larry is off on that twist because I can push mine with decent accuracy with a 55 grain NEI and a 72 grain NEI. I'm talking between 2000 and 2500 fps. I use rifle powders not pistol/shotgun powders. Been a while since I've been out with being tied up with the 6.5's right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I bought a Brand new Sporter to shoot and wanted one that shot well.
    I ordered up what the store owner said was best bang for my buck.
    What I ened up with Colt Sporter Match H-Bar Cal .223 That has the bayonet lug ground off {or what ever they do so ya do not have one}
    Ser. # MH004106
    Then since I had a great shooter "Got One For Fun" used.
    Colt AR-15 Model SPL Ser.# SP133949 Has the Colapsical stock and bayonet lug and in new cond.
    All I have ever shot in them was my own reloads plenty of 55gr fmj and 50-60rnds heavy balistic tips
    Now is a time for a change

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    Larry, I made a 1/12 barrel for one of my AR's uppers from a {take off} barrel for 34 gr J-words bullets. Would you have a suggestion for a cast, I have a Lyman 438 and will have a 55 Bantor when Midway gets them. Thanks
    The 55 gr bullet will probably be the better one. Go with the load using H4895 (it is a medium burning rifle powder the last time I checked not a shotgun or pistol powder) I suggested to 340six. It is the quickest way to get some decent accuracy out of the AR with cast. Once you get a handle on loading/shooting cast in the AR you can experiment with slower burning powders.

Your H-bar should have a 9" twist and the older Car-15 should have a 12" twist. Colt usually marked the barrel on top just behind the front sight with the caliber and twist.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Starmetal

My answer to 340six was not "off on the twist". I answered his question in relation to his using 225415 which is the mould he asked about. My answer was relevent to the question asked and is correct.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast