Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 311410

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 311410

I purchased and received today from MT Gianni a nice double cavity Lyman 311410 mold. I at one time had ( and since sold ) the same mold except the one that I had cast bullets with a bevel base , which I never cared for.

I questioned MT Gianni about this mold before I purchased the mold. He confirmed that the mold cast a true flat based bullet.

I'm wanting to shoot these bullets in my many 06's and 308 Win. rifles for a cheap , inexpensive plinking load.

The bullets drop from the mold at .311" , I'm sizing to .310 "

I don't' remember the lube groove on my previous mold being as generous as this one. I think I'm going to like this one !

I plan to shoot these in the 1,100 - 1,200 fps range.
    I've got a grandson that is coming up that might like to go out and move a few tin cans with these.

Went to the range today , March 31, 2010.
    I fired 50 rounds of the plain base 311410, sized .310 from my 1903 Springfield, 308 WIn. bench gun. Lyman 48 rear, 17 A front. Military barrel , 4 groove , that has been set back and re-chambered to .308 Win.

Last edited by Ben; 03-31-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add range trip photos

Ben, Are you getting tricky in your old age and running an offset on that sprue plate?
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    HORNET :

Come to the head of the class, you get an " A " today. Very observant. Yes, a tangent cut off. I'm hopeful that this technique will improve the base of the bullet. I guess we'll see if it was worth the extra effort when these head down range.

Ben

Super Moderator

..............Ben, that was one of the first moulds I'd ever bought and it has a flat base. I bought it to use in a Ruger BH 30 carb. My example drops slugs at .312" and it's proven usefull in a couple Argentines basically unsized (used a .312" lube die) and a couple 30 cal rifles (30-30 and 30-'06). In the 30-30 I found 6.0 grs of Red Dot to be fun.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick:

7.0 - 8.5 grs. of Red Dot or the same of B'eye will most likely be my starting point in the 30 / 06.

I thought that the bullet might have some potential as a " training round " for my grandson down the road in time.

Thanks,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-30-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

You been busy, Ben. I'm glad it's casting well for you.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Many Thanks,

A very nice mold, should fit my needs well.

Ben

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    HORNET :

Come to the head of the class, you get an " A " today. Very observant. Yes, a tangent cut off. I'm hopeful that this technique will improve the base of the bullet. I guess we'll see if it was worth the extra effort when these head down range.

Ben

AND y'all better behave or Ben may swat ya.

He is the Principal don'tchaknow ...

Boolit Grand Master
    Pat:

I'm a " Use to Be ", I'm out of that chair now. Retired , shooting and casting now.......much more fun ! ! !

Ben

Banned

-Still got the paddles? ...

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 311410 last year. I don't know what I had in mind for it when I bought it, but I got it anyway.
    A training round, huh? OK, maybe I have a use for it now. Our girls will surely want to shoot someday.
    I'll load some up, show them the targets in Ben's post, and sit back and wait for them to bring me some just like 'em.

Right?

My mould has the bevel base. A pretty pronounced one at that.
    I've never been brave enough to try removing any metal from a mould, but maybe this is the time since it's not being used at all as is.

Boolit Grand Master
    My friend fired my rifle with these loads. He looked at me and said ..........." Gee....this would make a great training round for a young person.....very accurate, low recoil, low noise. "

Ben

In Remebrance

someone had one of those done over into a HP. I thought it looked like a good idea for mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    There seems to be an over abundance of criticism for this bullet. I suspect that like the 311413, many are trying the push the bullet way beyond its limitations. I have found it so far to be just as accurate ( with mild loads ) and many of my other .30 designs.

Cheap shooting, FUN !..., that is what it should be all about.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Could be.

I've not shot any of mine yet. I just didn't know what to do with a .30 cal bullet in that weight.
    That may be part of it's lack of popularity. It's heavier than a soupcan-type for close range practice and lead-saving economics. And it's lighter than what most want for other uses.
    Beats me.

When I got my 311410 mould, I thought I'd try it in my .300 Savage 99. Maybe in the 7.62x39, but I don't remember if it cast them anywhere near big enough. I know some use it in the .30 Carbine, but I have an RCBS 30-115-RN that does OK there so don't know if I'll bother trying anything else or not.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think when sized to .001 - .002 larger than the bore of your rifle and the speed is kept " Sub 1,400 fps ", that the bullet has a lot of potential as a plinking / training round in many of the .30 cal. cartridges ( 30 -06 , 308 Win., etc.)

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-20-2020 at 10:54 AM.