RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virginian Dragoon 44mag?

Until a month ago I'd never even heard of these but since that time has seen a couple of them in the pawn shops. The first was a stainless 44 and the second was a blued 44 Bicentennial with the box. Both had 7.5" barrels and were selling for right around $300 each in 90% condition. I already have similar Blackhawks so passed but wouldn't mind running into one chambered in .45 Colt..
    Keep moving forward!

i had one .
    and the onlything i can find wrong with it is that i let a gooood friendtalk me in to trade it to him.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master
    I have had 2 of them. Good guns and I would not turn my nose up at one at all.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Okay I did a little research and it looks like these guns have what is called a “Swiss Safety.” Now could somebody please explain what the heck that is and how does it work?
    IIRC, the early ones were made for a few years in Switzerland by Hammerli. For fit, finish and function they are top of the line, although the ones made in the US were also pretty good, especially for the later 1980s runs.

Boolit Master

I have been waiting for a deal on one myself

I have lived within 15 blocks of where they were made (finished, depending on your attitude towards them importing the castings) for ten years now. I would love to have one since the maker's marks have my town's address on them. I've heard very good things about them from locals and know a fellow who spent a lot of time there and knew the folks working there. I'd like any Interarms for the reason above, but I'd be tickled with a Dragoon for their reputation for performance.

I don't need one I guess, but I'd take one for sure. I found a .41Mag Blackhawk with maybe a box of ammo through it last year for $400 out the door, so I'm set for beefy single actions for now.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    I have no beef with the use of imported parts being assembled here. It is still putting Americans to work. Now that I know they are made in the state that I call home I will have to put my hands on one. I always thought interarms was just an importer.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

I have a 44 blued one - always shot well, doesn't rap my knuckles like the SBH did.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a friend with a .44 Mag in the late 60s. Good pistol, accurate, never gave him any
    trouble. Big hog - kinda like a SBH, it had a long bbl, probably 7.5", but it was a LONG time
    ago.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

My first handgun was a Dragoon in .357mag. I bought it when I was 21 yrs old. The first big mistake I made as an 24+ yr old adult was to trade it away for a double action S&W. I had shot near 100k rounds through it over those 3 yrs (young, single, with a good paying job so I could afford it) and got very proficient with it. Unfortunately, the double-action bug blindsided me and in a moment of weakness it was gone. I had taken 3 deer with it with open sites.

I have recently regained my senses and have been looking for one in any of the ".4x" calibers with a 6" barrel. Now, as soon as my pocketbook starts to cooperate...

I'd take the Dragoon over a Blackhawk anyday and twice on Sundays.

Boolit Master
    i have a virginian and an sbh, and i can't honestly tell you which i like better! the virginian is better behaved due to it's heavy barrel, has a much better trigger, and is a classically beautiful revolver! the sbh is a workhorse that handles almost anything you throw at it [which i'm pretty sure the virginian would do, too!], will shoot comfortably with the right grips [i have hogues], and repairs are a piece of cake due to available parts! i'm sure i can list more plusses for both, but you get the idea... i like em both. oh, yah, they both shoot better than i can!

Boolit Mold
    Where can i find parts for my Virginian Dragoon 44mag,
    I am looking for the push rod and ejector assembly, I'm also looking for schematic

http://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf

Quick Googlage
    http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=154

Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. doesn't list all the parts they have in stock on their website; contact them for what you need at help@gunpartscorp.com
    Gun Parts Corporation, 226 Williams Lane, Kingston, NY 12401.
    Or you can order by phone by calling Orders at (845) 679-2417 or our Toll-Free Order Line at 866-NUMRICH (866-686-7424)..

If you strike out with that avenue, check the below listing, starting out with:

www.vtigunparts.com, mail@vtigunparts.com, VTI Gun Parts, PO Bx 509,Lakeville, Ct. 06039

www.brownells.com (parts for certain late-production firearms only)
    www.poppertsgunparts.com
    Bob's Gun Shop at www.gun-parts.com, or www.gunparts@hsnp.com and (501) 767-1970
    Brock's Gunsmithing Inc. www.brocksgunsmithinginc.com Click on "parts"
    www.colt380.com
    Out Back Gun Parts (812) 945-0480
    www.jackfirstgun.com (605) 343-9544
    www.gunpartscorp.com
    Rusted&Busted Bob's Box 24 Whitmore Ca. 96096
    www.yourgunparts.com
    Western Gun Parts, www.westerngunparts.com/default.htm, 1-403-489-5711 (Canada)
    Jim Wisner (206/360) 748-8942 360-748-4590 www.wisnerinc.com (obsolete firearms parts)
    Jim Horvath, P.O. Box 791548, New Orleans, La 70179-1548
    www.sarcoinc.com
    Ken's Parts and Guns in Irving, TX
    www.thedealershowroom.com
    lnh555@sbcglobal.net and randyman@ncidata.com (Broomhandle Mauser parts)
    www.1896mauser.com/index.html (Broomhandle Mauser parts)
    http://www.buymilsurp.com and http://www.surplusbunker.com (parts for various imported and military surplus guns)
    Glend Arms Mfg. Co., PO Box 361, Secane, Pa. 19018 (manufacturer of firing pins)
    Marstar Canada www.marstar.ca (British Commonwealth military arms)
    www.coltparts.com (original and some reproduction parts)
    www.ssporters.com (parts for old handguns, curios and relics)
    Liberty Antique Gunworks, 19 Key St., Eastport, Me. 04631 (207) 853-4116
    (obsolete S&W parts)
    High Standard parts (203) 239-1012
    http://www.savvysurvivor.com/handgun...agazines_f.htm
    Hoosier Gun Parts, www.hoosiergunworks.com
    Marty's Gunsmithing, 371 Spring Valley Rd. Elko, NV. 89801 Ph. (207)738-2666 (obsolete Remington parts)
    www.oldwestgunsmith.com, dave@oldwestgunsmith.com (old handguns, esp. Smith & Wesson parts)
    www.vintagesporting.com
    www.robertrtg.com
    www.leesgunparts.com
    www.ellwoodepps.com
    Tom Heller, Heller Arms, Ltd., P O Box 398, St Charles MO 63302 Phone: (636) 447-3006 E-mail: hellerarms@webtv.net
    www.Bryco-Jennings-JimenezArms.com
    G.S. Armatt,Inc. 335 Gay Road, Zebulon, NC 27597, (919) 269-8449, armatt@aol.com
    Earls Repair Service, Inc. , 437 R Chandler St. Tewksbury, Ma., 01876
    978-851-2656. http://carlwalther.com (Walther parts and service)
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-parts/ (Glock, GSG-5, HK, Kahr, Sig Sauer, Wilson, AR15)
    www.bersafirearmsusa.com (Parts for Bersa, Firestorm (Llama) and Comanche (Llama) handguns)
    Unique/M.A.P.E 10 Les Allees F-64700 Hendaye FRANCE (Parts for French-made guns)
    www.tanfoglioparts.com (Parts for Tanfoglio-made autos, possibly including EAA Witnesses)
    John D. Bush. johnd.bush@yahoo.com and/or amsales@mindspring.com (Magazines and parts for FEG pocket autos and Tokarevs)
    Miga Gun Parts, a division of Midway Guns, PO Box 569, 9754 E Oglethorpe
    Hwy, Midway, GA 31320, Phone: 912-884-5616 or 884-5597, e-mail:
    midwayguns@coastalnow.net, www.galleryofguns.com, Ask for Penny
    Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tenn (Colt and replica handgun parts)
    John A. Kopec (916)472-3438 (Colt grips)
    Egyption Helwan parts: M&M Gunsmithing (703)739-2150
    Old West Parts Bin, 1463 Funston Ave., San Francisco,Ca. 94122 (antique guns)
    Stevens Sight & Tool Co., RD 1 Box 307C, Effort, Pa. 18330 (215)681-5670 (Old Stevens firearms)
    Ed Cox..Circle C X Antiques. PO Bx 2197, Fernley Nv. 89408 (775)575-6205 (old handguns)
    Springfield Sporters, (724) 254-2626, Mon-Fri 0900 to 1700 hrs EST/EDT
    http://www.germanguns.de/exportindex.htm (German and maybe some other European firearms.)
    PHH,Inc., 1330 Center Ave.,Pittsburgh,Pa. 15229 Ph#412-766-6100 (Ruger parts)
    WAFFEN WIESER GESELLSCHAFT M.B.H. at http://web2.cylex.de/firma-home/waff...--4384190.html or http://www.steyrwaffen.at or www.cds.ehrenreich.de (Parts for Steyr, and perhaps other old Austrian or German handguns)
    www.fultonsofbisley.com or Terry Abram +44 (0) 1245 231753 (United Kingdom) (British Commonwealth guns)
    www.thedealershowroom.com (military rifles and pistols)

For more listings go to http://www.brownells.com/categories.aspx?c=4815

Websites that may also have gun parts:

www.auctionarms.com
    www.gunbroker.com
    www.ArmsBid.com
    www.gunsamerica.com
    www.armchairgunshow.com
    www.gunlistonline.com
    www.gunpurchase.com
    www.gunshowonthenet.com
    www.gunsinternational.com
    www.SpokaneGunAuction.com

Uberti model or item number 79900E HAWES LARGE FRAME Base Pin Catch Assembly can also be used as a substitute.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    The first handgun I ever bought was Virginia Dragoon in 44 mag, in 1983.'
    It was a fine piece. Sold it to fund a Super Redhawk after moving to MT.

I have both a Blackhawk and a Dragoon in .44 mag and both with 7.5" barrels. I actually shot them both today. I don't hesitate to shoot "ruger" loads in the Virginian. It is a well built gun.

Here is a picture of my collection. A family of 3. One .357 6" Deputy with fixed sights. A matched pair of 8 3/8" .44 Mag. All in SS. If someone were to offer me a real deal, I could be forced to move on to something else. I think I would like an EAA Witness, steel in 45ACP. Mine aren't half the price of a Ruger and won't be very close to the same price. I like them really well but they are heavy like a super black hawk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	394396339.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	57370
    Last edited by Rolling Stone; 01-02-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add comment
    Every time I'm about to do something, I think "Would an idiot do this?" and if he would, I do not do that thing

Boolit Mold

Virginian Dragoon Parts

Here is a place for Virginian Dragoon Parts-Very cheap I have bought at least 1 of every part they have including barrels:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=154

Anyone in Houston have a Virginian Dragoon for sale in 44? I want another
    I'm machining a new hand for mine about .032" longer on the bottom notch and .075" on the top notch. some gunsmiths I've heard have heated and stretched the hands on them, but I don't like that method. One nice test is superglue plastic to the hand, shape it and cycle the cylinder to make sure the length is right before machining a new one . It's an awesome revolver for about $300.00. I'd much rather have one than a Ruger because it's so stout. For one thing, the firing pin bushing is screwed in and not pined, this makes it easy to adjust with shims if necessary if the primer jams the cylinder. (Here is a little shim trick for end shake and firing pin bushing shims: sandwich the right size feeler gauge in between 2 pieces of wood and drill the hole, then lightly sand the edge on a disk sander to make a washer, works every time)
    I've made 3 sets of grips already, white corian, oak, and walnut.
    I sure would like to know how that guy cracked his forcing cone.
    They also have really cool quotes on the bottom of the handle. I have 5 handles, one is on the gun, "Sic Semper Tyrannis" the others are "We The People" "Liberty Forever" "Yorktown 1781-1981" and "Don't Tread On Me" "Sic Semper Tyrannis" is the Virginia State motto which means "Thus always to tyrants" which is a picture of Virtue with one bare breast and a spear and sword in her hands, her foot in on the neck of tyranny who is laying on the ground dead. Hmm. A joke 200 years ago by Thomas Jefferson was "Sic Semper Tyrannis" meant "Get your foot off my neck"

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent revolvers in my opinion but that front sight can be very dangerous.....let me explain......

Many years ago (around '71 I think) a friend had one and we along with my wife and his girlfriend went shooting at the Four Corners R&G Club in Salem, Oregon. We were shooting the classic Keith loads in my Hawes and his Dragoon. His girlfriend decided she wanted to shoot his revolver as my wife was shooting mine. He demonstrated to her what to do and how to hold it two handed. His girlfriend brought the revolver up two handed between her breasts (as we see a lot of defensive shooters do these days before extending the handgun to fire.....why I still don't know?) But before he could say anything or stop her she quickly cocked the revolver and pulled the trigger!!!!! Now we all know how a SA 44 magnum will rotate up....especially if one has a loose grip? Well that Dragoon with the large SA grip certainly did rotate up and she took the front sight right between the eyes..........blood went everywhere......as bad as the cut was it was fortunate not to hit her in the eye........unfortunately it also ended that relationship......and my friend sold the revolver.........

Was and is a good revolver none the less but every time I see old Sheriff Wilson on one of the shooting shows or other shooters bring the handgun to center chest I shudder because of the memory...........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    I have a SS "Liberty Forever" in .44. Love it, fantastic trigger and will digest anything with excellent results.

Boolit Master
    Interestingly enough, I just ran across a December 1980 Shooting Time magazine with a picture of the Interarms .44 Magnum Virginian Dragoon. Their take on it was it was a big, well made gun, accurate handgun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Excellent revolvers in my opinion but that front sight can be very dangerous.....let me explain......

Many years ago (around '71 I think) a friend had one and we along with my wife and his girlfriend went shooting at the Four Corners R&G Club in Salem, Oregon. We were shooting the classic Keith loads in my Hawes and his Dragoon. His girlfriend decided she wanted to shoot his revolver as my wife was shooting mine. He demonstrated to her what to do and how to hold it two handed. His girlfriend brought the revolver up two handed between her breasts (as we see a lot of defensive shooters do these days before extending the handgun to fire.....why I still don't know?) But before he could say anything or stop her she quickly cocked the revolver and pulled the trigger!!!!! Now we all know how a SA 44 magnum will rotate up....especially if one has a loose grip? Well that Dragoon with the large SA grip certainly did rotate up and she took the front sight right between the eyes..........blood went everywhere......as bad as the cut was it was fortunate not to hit her in the eye........unfortunately it also ended that relationship......and my friend sold the revolver.........

Was and is a good revolver none the less but every time I see old Sheriff Wilson on one of the shooting shows or other shooters bring the handgun to center chest I shudder because of the memory...........

Larry Gibson
    My youngest boy was shooting my Super Blackhawk off bags and not holding it securely enough and had that happen last Fall. Front sight caught him just above the hairline and he laughed it off, cocked the revolver to shoot again, then the blood dripped in his line fo sight. The cut looked worse than it was, but we stopped shooting and I took him to see if it needed stitches dreading what the reaction of the Fort Riley ER staff would be to a shooting accident with our nanny state being what it was. Turned out the doc who took care of him was an avid shooter and we all had a pretty good laugh over it and some mentoring about how to grip a powerful handgun in the future. All's well that ends well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast