Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Cast muzzleloader boolit for sabot

Boolit Buddy

Cast muzzleloader boolit for sabot

I have been casting for my auto handguns for about a year and would like to find a good cast boolit for my in-line .50 caliber, 1:32 twist in the .452-.457 range, 300-330 grain and either a large metplat or a hollowpoint for deer hunting out to 125yds.

The Lyman 457122 "Gould Express" really intrigues me, but I'm thinking that I should be looking for either a gas checked design or bevel base so the sabot will release clean.

The Keith Nose .452-300 looks about ideal, but it looks like a custom mold.

I'm curious as to what others have found successful as a saboted cast boolit.

Boolit Master
    GMT210,
    Take a peek at the ".451 projectiles" thread here in the muzzleloading section. Lots of related stuff there.

The cheaper Lee 457-340F might be a pretty good choice. Shoots great in .45 caliber muzzleloaders with 1:28 or 1:30 twists when sized to .451. I don't see why it wouldn't do well in a 50 1:32 sized to either .451 or .452 and launched in a good sabot. I would probably try the Harvester short black.

I don't think you need worry about a bevel or gc design. A flat based bullet fits most sabots very well. Few sabots are made for bevel base. That Lyman 457122 bullet would probably git er dun too.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Banned
    FYI

BRP ...down in the sponsor thread area has a couple of on the shelf designs just for this purpose.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    The only one I've tried is the Lee 200 gr SWC on a lark. Did ok but nothing to get excited about.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I did happen to notice that the Harvester "crush rib sabots" would do better with a bullet that did not have a bevel base, I have some sabots that came with Hornady 300 grain xtp's that do not interface well with the supplied sabots due to a radius in the bottom of the sabot pocket, the same bullet drops nicely into the crush rib sabot.

I see Harvester also has a sabot for boat tail bullets.........
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    Been using a Lee 300 gr (as cast) then sized to 451 in my 50 cal. Using 100 gr of pyrodex R will shoot thru and thru a big deer. shot one last year that was facing me and the bullet entered the chest taking out the heart lungs liver and ending up just under the skin of it's left hind quarter, expanding to almost an inch in dia and loosing about 5 grains. the deer was about 40yards distance. As for accuracy, ragged one hole at 50 yards, but shooting 80 grains accuracy fell off. That was using a black sabot or red sabot, either worked well. I don't remember who makes these sabots.