RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: One home smelting production setup

gotta love this mass production processing

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the board, Marine Sergeant. Some of these smelting set-ups are monsters, and I'm in awe of the skill and ingenuity displayed by their makers and users.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Nuthin special, just another turkey fryer with a dutch oven.

Fluxed, ready to pour ingots.

Results! This set-up works well, I'm a little leary of filling the pot all the way up. I had 90 pounds in it without a wiggle.

Super Moderator

.........There ya go. That's what it's all about.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Smile

Thanks for the tips. Still learning.

Boolit Master

I did about the same thing with the base from a turkey fryer and ducth oven. It may not be able to hold hundreds of pounds, it does about 100 pounds. I do like the tap idea to pouring the lead.

Great idea!

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Mold
    I'm not new to casting been doing it for years on a small scale. These are some of the best ideas I've seen. This web site is the best.

Sam

Well here is my home made humble but useful set up. I cut a piece of 12" pipe about 14" deep and welded a flat plate on the botttom made a small pour spout on the top edge and put a couple apposing handles on it. Works well on the turkey cooker stand we melted down almost a 1000lbs today of WW my back is a little sore but Ill be in good shape for a few months...

This was most of the catch from the last 2 months
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Had to reopen my account at photobucket here are the pics

Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Old back needs a new plan

Hey Guys
    Nothing new for smelting down hundreds of pounds of WWs and other scrap but I can't be the only geezer who doesn't need to be constantly bending over. The picture shows my answer. Some blocks and a small gate puts the ingot moulds up to counter top level. Roofing steel has since been replaced with some diamond plate and a homless traffic sign. The gate and sheet metal act as a heat sink to cool things off more rapidly than dirt or wood and easy to keep free of debris. This rig also shortened the distance between hot alloy and waiting ingot mould. Spills aren't contaminated with dirt near as much and are easier to reclaim in just a few minutes. Been doin it this way since my early fifties. The waste cans are being used as a wind break only. Roy
    [ATTACH]10267Attachment 10269 HTH

Boolit Mold
    Here is my.

Here's my setup, burner also used for Beer

bayou classic burner for cooking lead and beer!

adding 2 oz 67/33 solder and when application demands, 1-2 lb magnum shot to alloy the wheelweights to a harder bullet

flux with sodium tetraborate octahydrate flux (do NOT stir)-it will crystallize as a glassy crust around contaminats-easy to remove- and flux when casting with beeswax/alox scraps

use rowell ladle from Antimonyman and cornbread stick ingot molds

50 lb of wheelweights makes a heckuva lotta these lil' 118 gr pills

add magnum shot to harden the rifle bullets

yodar

Boolit Buddy
    Wow nice setup. I've got a cast iron dutch oven fired by charcoal in the bottom of a scrapped Weber smoker. Works very well but chews through charcoal at a fairly high rate. I've been dipping with an SS ladle and it works OK thus far. Just having trouble getting all of the trash out of the melt. It's mostly pure WW but there's always a few black dots on the top of the ingots.

Made about 50 lbs of ingots over the weekend and my back hurts like hell!

Nice setups. I've been going the Dutch oven and turkey fryer route, but I'd like something a little more "aggressive." I'm thinking about picking up linotype remelt unit that runs off of natural gas. If I can find a few other casters in the Middle Tennessee area it might be worth the expense.

Boolit Mold
    hi,
    Goatlips You presented a very nice presentation, It would have suckered me in!
    It all looks familiar and common to the low budget reloader/caster as myself, You use what is at hand to get the job done.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Boolit Mold
    hi,
    Goatlips You presented a very nice presentation, It would have suckered me in!
    It all looks familiar and common to the low budget reloader/caster as myself, You use what is at hand to get the job done.
    Thanks,
    Tim

I wish I had found this web sight about 2 years ago!!!! The ideas are racing through my head a modified goatlips setup.... now I need more ww.

Boolit Bub
    All dandy and effective...

Goatlips gets the prize for a great presentation!

Thanks!

Boolit Mold

Finished this yesterday, holds 550 lbs of alloy. This is just a batch mixer, note 25 lbs of 50/50 solder melted in the bottom.

In the foreground are two wheel weight pigs 115 lbs each. I'm waiting for an ingot mold before I melt the whole soup up.

The valve is all 300 series stainless except for the ball on the handle and the hinge bolt. I'll use an infrared thermometer to know the temperature, any thoughts on the best temp? When I melted the WW they got pretty hot, I'm sure there is zinc sponge in the pigs, that's why I want to pour at low temp.

Note the bullet trap in the background, just finished it last week. I shoot in the shop.
    parts

The infrared thermometers are calibrated to read the temperature of a flat black surface. The readings that they give on liquid lead are pretty far off. You might get away with pointing one at your black pot. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal to weld in a thermal well for a plain old mechanical thermometer.

Zinc is pretty hard to get out of a mix once it's in. I've been told stories by people that have claimed to reduce the zinc contamination by skimming off a soupy mess at a specific temperature, but I've never been told a story about anyone getting it all out.

You can see my boolit traps here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29648
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 03-05-2009 at 02:47 AM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast