Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolits won't drop from new MP 40-160 brass mold

Boolits won't drop from new MP 40-160 brass mold

I have a brand new brass 4 cavity MP mold that I set up with the round hollow point pins. I cannot get the boolits to drop off at all. The first two rounds dropped ok. The third was tough and the 4th are still stuck on the pins while I let the mold cool off to see how stuck they are. I need some ideas.

I am not new to casting.
    My pot is 670 degrees digitally maintained. (Lyman Mag 25 pot)
    Alloy is an approximation of Lyman #2.

The mold and melt needs to be significantly hotter. I cast hollow points at 800-850°F melt temp verified from rotometals thermometer. I wipe the mold with a 2 cycle oily cotton rag, it needs to be hot enough to steam -aprox. 400-450ish°F mold temp.

ADMIN

I cast at 750 but adjust the timing to keep the boolits in the mold longer to keep the mold hot.
    Synthetic 2 cycle oil is your friend
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I cast at 750 but adjust the timing to keep the boolits in the mold longer to keep the mold hot.
    Synthetic 2 cycle oil is your friend
    I absolutely agree! I have several MP brass molds, and they like to be very hot, and like HATCH said, that small bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil that comes with the molds, is a must on the underside of the sprue cutter as well as the top of the mold, just a little goes a long way!

Like everyone else said, you are not hot enough. I cast these molds at 750-800 degrees. Are you preheating your mold? This is important because it seems that your pins are not hot enough. It takes some trial and error to get your hotplate set at the proper temp. A brass mold needs a higher setting.

When it comes to oiling your mold, a little goes a long way. Don’t use any oil until your mold is up to temp. A tiny drop on the male alignment pins, and a tiny bit on the parts that slide the hp pins is needed. I also keep a rag with a small amount of oil handy when casting. When you fill the mold for the first time, wipe this rag across the top of the mold (while the bullets are still in the cavities) and bottom of the sprue plate. This will stop lead from sticking on top of the mold.

There are some good suggestions on the MP website that have been very helpful to me in the past. One other thing, never beat on the mold with your mallet. Only tap on the handle hinge point. Tapping on the mold is a good way to ruin it. Good luck. Be patient! It will come around.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

This is not my first MP brass hollow point mold and 670-680 degrees has always worked fine for every Lee, NOE and MP mold I own. Yes, the mold is fully preheated. Please help me to understand how lubing the spruce plate and mold alignment pins affect the castings releasing from the hollow point pins? That is the only issue.

FYI, you guys casting at above 750 degrees are into the temperature where lead vaporizes and causes poisonous fumes. 800-850 degrees F is just crazy in my book.

I was just trying to help. I have no idea of your casting experience. Maybe this will help .[URL="http://https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/tip-on-easier-release-of-hp-pins/"]http://https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/tip-on-easier-release-of-hp-pins/[/URL]
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

I could not get the round hollow point pins to release their casting no matter what I did. I swapped them out for the pentastar pins and life is good. Back to 670 degree F pot temperature, normal mold temperature and no sticking boolits. I'll go with these for now.

Boolit Master

I have spun the round pins in drill and light polished with flitz or worn out fine emory cloth. Coat with a pencil (graphite) and reinstall. Usually the polish does the trick. The graphite coating doesn't hurt. They stick when pins are cold/cool.

Use a graphite pencil to color the tips of the pins. I also use some 400 grit sand paper to polish the pit tips too if they look rough.

BK beat me.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I get impatient sometimes and if the graphite doesn't release the lead bullet, the next time I take a propane torch and make sure the hp pin is heated.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like there are some tiny machining burrs on the round pins. Even a burr that's almost microscopic can cause a bullet to stick in the mold. I'd suggest that you buff those pins lightly with some Scotchbrite or fine sandpaper (400 grit) to smooth the surface. On all my new molds, before I use them I rub any sharp edges with an ink eraser to remove any machining burrs. An ink eraser doesn't damage the mold cavities, but you have to thoroughly clean the molds afterwards because any eraser crumbs left in the cavities will create a defect on the cast bullet.

Both brass and iron mold blocks loose heat much more slowly than aluminum molds. You can work at a more leisurely pace with with either brass or iron. Under some circumstances people might need a hotter temperature melt when using aluminum molds, especially when casting smaller diameter bullets. I agree with 6622729 that 800 to 850 deg. is excessive. There's casting them "hot", and then there's "way too hot".

Yes, I would say I need to polish the round pins. There are definitely machining marks on them you can feel with a fingernail. In the meantime the penta pins are working perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	324792

Name:	40-2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	324793
    Last edited by 6622729; 03-21-2024 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Yes, I would say I need to polish the round pins. There are definitely machining marks on them you can feel with a fingernail. In the meantime the penta pins are working perfectly.

Name:	40-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	324792

Name:	40-2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	324793
    Wow, those are very pretty

Boolit Grand Master

Another great pin release agent is Liquid Wrench Dry Lube #L512 ...
    I use the liquid and apply with a Q-Tip ... also a great boolit release agent in general as it doesn't contaminat / wrinkle the cast boolit .
    Polishing the round pins is probably all you need ... but as strange as it seems the Liquid Wrench Dry Lube is a good release agent and prevents rust on steel mould parts .

Those Penta-Pointed Boolits are freaking Awesome !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Another for graphite is your friend as a pin release. I have some powdered graphite that I used to tumble buckshot that I now apply with a Q Tip, I have used a pencil before and both forms of graphite make a significant difference. My guess is Liquid Wrench dry lube is graphite based.

Although I doubt any release agent will overcome a burr or rough surface.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Thank you for the kind comments about the boolits. I've now cast more than 500 with the penta pins. They shoot very accurately loaded to 1.125" OAL and 4gr HP-38 in my KKM barreled Glock. I'm using those recently available small pistol primers from Argentina. As always, work up your own load. Do not blindly do what I do. I am only sharing what I am doing, not telling you what you should do.

I might never mess with the round pins again but if I do I'll chuck them in the drill press and polish them a bit. Red Scotchbrite you think?

Boolit Grand Master
    My 432-640 large pins were like that, but a quick touch with some 800 grit sand paper while they were spinning made them slick and smooth. Conversely, I have not been very successful in getting good boolits with the Penta point pins.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    This is not my first MP brass hollow point mold and 670-680 degrees has always worked fine for every Lee, NOE and MP mold I own. Yes, the mold is fully preheated. Please help me to understand how lubing the spruce plate and mold alignment pins affect the castings releasing from the hollow point pins? That is the only issue.

FYI, you guys casting at above 750 degrees are into the temperature where lead vaporizes and causes poisonous fumes. 800-850 degrees F is just crazy in my book.
    No, not until about 1,200 degrees or more. My several MP hollow point molds run best at around 850 degrees. Much below that and I have problems like you are. I can assure you that members here are not crazy.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    No, not until about 1,200 degrees or more. My several MP hollow point molds run best at around 850 degrees. Much below that and I have problems like you are. I can assure you that members here are not crazy.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    This is the first thing that comes up when I typed in "Lead vaporization temperature":

752 degrees F
    The problem is that lead starts to vaporize when heated over 752 degrees F, and you can end up breathing in the poisonous fumes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast