Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on 35 Rem Mold

Advice on 35 Rem Mold

Hello I am new to the Cast Boolits forums been reloading and casting bullets for years. I have Rem 35 remington pump 760 its great little gun it shoots jacketed bullets great. I looking for a bullet mold to cast bullets for it, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Judan

Boolit Bub
    Both the RCBS 35-200 and the Ranch Dog .359-190 TL will work very well. The RD might be hard to find.
    Terrier
    Never Forget and Never Forgive

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Judan, Welcome to the forum.
    And yes+1 on the RCBS - 200 boolet.
    When you make your boolets do a search
    on JPW here.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    I shoot 358430 and 358311 out of my Remington M-14. I also have used 358271, 358480 and 358429, but had to load one at a time, as they wouldn't feed. All shot well. 35 Rem is a very easy cartridge to load with cast.

The 35 Rem is indeed an easy cartridge to load with cast. I'm particularly fond of the RCBS 200gr FP bullet in my Marlins. That having been said though, last year I loaded a box of 35's up for my niece's (now ex-) boyfriend. He has a Remington pump--one of the newer versions. He had feeding problems I suspect due to the flat point. A while back I had the Lyman 205 Gr mold that cast a more tapered, round nose bullet. I expect that this profile might be a better choice for 35 pump rifles unless you wanted to do a little gunsmithing to make the RCBS version work more smoothly.

In Remebrance

RCBS 35-200 and the Lee 358-180GC GB we did some time back. Both shoot great in my 35.

Boolit Master

As all of the others have said. You cannot go wrong with the RCBS 35-200 if you do your part well.

Larry

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 358315 in my Marlin. It a 204 grain, round nose with gas check. It's extremely accurate in my Marlin 336. Most guys seem to prefer the RCBS 200 FP but I've never had an occasion to use it. I keep looking for a good deal on one. For plinking I've used most of my .38 cal handgun moulds - WC, SWC and RN.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
    I use the Lyman 358315 in my Marlin. It a 204 grain, round nose with gas check. It's extremely accurate in my Marlin 336. Most guys seem to prefer the RCBS 200 FP but I've never had an occasion to use it. I keep looking for a good deal on one. For plinking I've used most of my .38 cal handgun moulds - WC, SWC and RN.
    That's the mold I used to have and it does work very well in the Marlin 336. So does the RCBS 200FP. I sold the Lyman mold because I didn't think I'd ever need it, since all of my shooting is out of Marlin leverguns and I never use a pump like I referred to in my earlier post. Accuracy-wise, there's miniscule difference between the RCBS or Lyman. If you like a flat nose on something you shoot that has a tubular magazine then you'd feel more comfortable with the RCBS, but as long as they've had that Lyman design out (and the bullets safely used in Marlins, too) either works about as well as the other IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used both the lyman and rcbs design in my 35rem 760. I have not shot it in a while but I rememeber using the rcbs more and had no feeding problems. Thing is, it was mostly 'targets of oppotuntity" use and I tend to single feed. I have a williams reciever sight and it works well. The throat or freebore (or what ever you call it) is very short so you can't have much full diameter sticking out of the case pretty much like a Marlin.
    Brian

Super Moderator

..............The liking for the RCBS 35-200 seems universal, but I happen to have the Saeco #356 which is also a 200 grainer and it shoots very well.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

The Saeco #352 is an excellent boolit too. It's a heavyweight in the 35 Rem, at 245 gr, but is designed to work in that cartridge. It is a small flat nose design.

Boolit Master
    Other bases have been covered pretty well here, so I'll throw out one on the lighter end of the scale. I used to own a Marlin 336 35 Remmy that gobbled up any 158grain gas-checked cast pistol bullet I cared to feed it, and very accurately too. I used 2400 for around 1900 fps, but there are lots of powders that would work here. It's a great cast cartridge, and as long as your slug is gas-checked and large enough--generally 359+-- you'll likely have a decent shooter. As for feeding, that 760 may be more finicky than the Marlin, you just have to check that out.

lathesmith

Boolit Master

358180 question

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    RCBS 35-200 and the Lee 358-180GC GB we did some time back. Both shoot great in my 35.
    Hi Brett,
    Are you talking about the one that 357Max honchoed? I have that one and never tried it in the .35 Remington.
    Last edited by Newtire; 12-25-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: forgot something.(again!)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Hi Brett,
    Are you talking about the one that 357Max honchoed? I have that one and never tried it in the .35 Remington.
    I was not the only one to honcho that design. I think I ran the 3rd lee buy for it. It is a great design for SOME 336 marlins...some have "into battery" issues when seated as designed some do not. Glenn did a great job on designing it when it functions...some require a "deep seat" however. Regardlees of how you have to seat them.....they getRdone. I have shot several deer with that boolit at similar to 35rem speeds in my 357max MGM encore pistol. Performance on game was perfect.

The rcbs 200 is tough to beat for hunting deer type critters, but for pure hunting accuracy at upper cast levels I find the BRP 360-220 rates slightly better accuracy wise in the three 35 marlins I have tried it in. All mine have liked a stiff dose of H335 with the 360-220.

The single most accurate boolit I have fired out of my pre micro 336 in 35Rem is the BRP products 180 grain gas checked version of the lyman 358430. Ahead of a topend load of H4895 it is silly accurate...the kind of accuracy that makes you wonder if you lost count of how many times you shot the paper target. I have some made up with annealed noses just awaiting their turn to make venison. I annealled the nose and sized a small flat on a wd'ed 50/50 boolit because the nose is round as cast and it made me nervous.......time will tell what Mr. Buckeroo thinks of it I spose. I never got the chance to try one out this year...maybe next year. A 358430GC with a shallow dished out HP might be just the berries....will have to order a single cavity and find out some day.

Boolit Master
    Thanks 357. I'll give it a try. I have been using the Ranch Dog boolit with 38 grains of H-335 or 12 grains of Unique. The gas checks don't fit so great on the Ranch Dog but it is a good shooting boolit.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Hi Brett,
    I don;t know who honchoed it. It had to be 4-5 years back, 180 FN GC.

Just a little buyer beware message: If you're thinking about RCBS 35-200, I hope your barrel isn't any wider in the grooves than .358" because 35-200 has been coming out a bit thin lately. I've had two brand new molds over the last year or so and they've both strained to drop a .3585-.3590" boolit in ACWW. Perhaps RCBS has retooled in the mean time or will retool when enough casters send their "undersized" molds back to the factory.

MJ

P.S. Listen to .357maximum with respect to all things .35 and check out the .35 molds here:
    http://www.brp.castpics.net/Rifle%20Molds.html

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    ... All mine have liked a stiff dose of H335 with the 360-220.
    Mike,

I'd be interested in learning your recipe for H335/.360-220. I've gone to 44 grains of Surplus 2520 (which should be in the H335 ballpark, or a tad slower) but I was getting a little sticky extraction while using ACWW. Granted, ACWW may be a bit too soft for 44 grains of 2520 (2200+ fps) but accuracy was there at 43 grains and I wanted a bit more oomph. Yeah, I'm probably being oomph foolish because I gave up good accuracy for 60 fps at the muzzle. Anyway, when my surplus 2520 is gone, I'm going to need a replacement, so your load info with H335 is appreciated.

MJ

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Just a little buyer beware message: If you're thinking about RCBS 35-200, I hope your barrel isn't any wider in the grooves than .358" because 35-200 has been coming out a bit thin lately. I've had two brand new molds over the last year or so and they've both strained to drop a .3585-.3590" boolit in ACWW. Perhaps RCBS has retooled in the mean time or will retool when enough casters send their "undersized" molds back to the factory.

MJ

P.S. Listen to .357maximum with respect to all things .35 and check out the .35 molds here:
    http://www.brp.castpics.net/Rifle%20Molds.html
    I concur about the warning. My 35-200-FN was bought last year and struggles to get to .3585 with ACWW. My .359 sizer barely touches the edges of the part line. I have a 1958 35 Rem that I haven't slugged yet, so I'm hoping it'll be .358 with its ballard barrel. Fingers crossed...