WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: can lee tl boolits be lubed?

Boolit Master

can lee tl boolits be lubed?

i am getting a ranch dog mold that is designed to be tumble lubed. can this just be put thru my lyman 450 using BAC or should i be using liquid alox?

I've lubed some .30 cal gas checked Tumble Lube boolits with Lyman Super Moly in a lubrisizer & fired them at about 1800fps from a rifle with a chrome bore & got good results. No leading. Good groups.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

In Remembrance
    You can run it through your lubesizer if you wish.

On the (extremely) few occasions that I'll lubesize a TL boolit, I first run the boolit through the appropriate Lee or Buckshot or Lathesmith push-through sizer. Then I run it through the lubesizer for lubing only.

But this is how I size ALL of my rifle boolits anyhow--push-through sizer first to set gas checks and size, lubesizer for lubing only.

I have The RD mold in 460-350 GC. and 432-265 gr. GC. and I lube-size both in a Lyman 450. I use a 460 Lyman size die for 350 gr. 45/70 bullet and a .431 RCBS size die for the 265 gr. 44 bullet. With the 45/70 size lubed bullet I have gotten consistant 1 inch groups at 100 yards in my Marlin 1895 LTD-5 rifle.
    In the 44 mag, I am still doing test work on increasing the accuracy. Best so far is 1-1/2inches at 50 yards. I am sure that I am going to have to open the sizing die to .432 or .433 to get better results. I was only getting 2 inch or more groups until I decreased my 296 powder down from 22 grains to 20 grains and saw about a 3/4 inch decrease in group size. I expect to see better groups when I get to opening the die 1-2 thousands after the holidays are over.
    I am using BAC 2200 lube and have not seen any signs of lead buildup in both rifle bores. In the 45/70 I am shooting the bullet at 1800 FPS and was over 1600 FPS in the 44 mag. I have also used Alox for both loads when I sized them in the lee die set up and no leading either while using that lube. Go ahead and experiment with sizing and lubing them and you might find the load you are looking for. Makes for a good fun project during the winter months when hunting season is over and you have the time to develope a top load.

yes, you can lubrisize them, and use the lube of your choice. l.l.a. is good in some applications, and not so good in others. if it does not work in your app, grease it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes you can.

It defeats the purpose and whole idea behind the Tumble Lube boolit mold and lube technique.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    It defeats the purpose and whole idea behind the Tumble Lube boolit mold and lube technique.
    Ah, but sometimes when you're lucky enough to finally get that difficult to find mold, but it's a TL, it's nice to know that you can still use other lube.

I've been pan lubing or hand rubbing Felix lube on my RD TLC432-265-RF boolits with good results.

Sure would be nice to have a lubri/sizer though.

Randy