MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .41 spl

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    Doesn't he offer a 10mm conversion for the 686 too?
    I’ve contacted them and they say no, the 686 forcing cone can’t handle the pressure.

Seems odd given the L-frame is chambered in .44 mag, but 10mm does operate a little higher pressure.

Boolit Master
    The L frame M69 has a 2 piece barrel like the 500 mags. Lots thicker barrel extension than a standard L frame. I am curious about the GP 100 10mm, I saw a picture that seemed to show something different than my 44 special.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    The L frame M69 has a 2 piece barrel like the 500 mags. Lots thicker barrel extension than a standard L frame. I am curious about the GP 100 10mm, I saw a picture that seemed to show something different than my 44 special.
    Ah, thanks for the insight.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't find much info on it, but the 10mm auto version has some kind of hexagonal barrel extension that is quite thick. The 44 special version is nothing but a reamed out 357 mag version, and leaves it very thin. Fine for 44 special, but not magnum.

I'm still very much hoping Ruger comes out with a 5 shot 41 magnum GP100, but I'm starting to think about the 10mm auto version, and rechambered for 10mm magnum.

Boolit Master
    That was what I noticed, would be nice if someone who has the 10mm GP could post some detailed photos. If it is what it looks like then it should be able to handle the 41 mag, at the barrel extension anyway. May have too short a cylinder for the 41mag, may hold a 41 mag along my special cyl and see what’s what. The 41 and 44 special do all I need in my world, so it’s kinda academic for me. Besides, I have a 22 oz titanium tracker in 41 mag that scratches that itch quite well! Still curious about how Ruger did the 10mm GP barrel.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure the GP100 will handle the 41 magnum no problem at all. Gary Reeder has been doing conversions for years. 41 magnum is specified to the same OAL as the 357 magnum, so of course the cylinder is long enough. It would be nice to have a cylinder long enough for the Keith bullet, but I could manage.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pocketace View Post
    not to hijack BUT....

what performance does the 41 special actually offer over say a right loaded 38 special +p, 38/44, or a 357 magnum with factory 158 grain jsp?
    Offers full 41caliber holes, bigger wider meplat's for increased frontal shock, and bullets can be had in 250 grains or higher. It enables a midframed-gun ease of carry, that can pack damn near the punch of magnums, only it does so at lower pressure, with less powder, in a smaller package.

Guy gets big-bore, game worthy performance leaps and bounds over the best 357 and does it on the very same packable platform everyone prefers for long hours or daily, all-day use (the 357-frames). You get a 250gr bullet @970fps & ability to turn that up to 1200fps if desired ... and actually, in a round about way, it's the favoured, timeless 44 special arguments all over again, only this time it's without old historical guns to be of concern in hindering it's pressure threshold should SAMMI & the manufacturers bring it to market in factory form. It's the perfect scenario really for a new "factory" product the likes of what the market's cried for the last 100 years... (being a 975/1000fps factory, store shelf 44special)

Done right, some company could hit a real home-run far as I'm concerned... 41 special is a great, very versatile round. Smaller guns. Lighter & handier. No muzzle flash or shock like the 357's have. True Big bore. It's just a best of all worlds kind of arrangement... have to try it

Boolit Grand Master

I have two Questions .
    Can regular 41 Magnum dies be used to reload the 41 Special cases ?
    Usually the shorter cases can't be crimped in dies made for the longer Magnum case .

I wouldn't mind buying some 41 Special brass and loading up some 41 Special Loads , I have the 41 special data , but not if I have to find some way to shorten the crimp die ... I have no tools or machine skills to do it with .
    Anyone making 41 special seat/crimp dies ?
    How do you load them ?
    My avatar is a 41 Magnum,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I don’t remember doing anything to my Lee 41 mag dies to load my 41 specials. It had the adjustment range needed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    Offers full 41caliber holes, bigger wider meplat's for increased frontal shock, and bullets can be had in 250 grains or higher. It enables a midframed-gun ease of carry, that can pack damn near the punch of magnums, only it does so at lower pressure, with less powder, in a smaller package.

Guy gets big-bore, game worthy performance leaps and bounds over the best 357 and does it on the very same packable platform everyone prefers for long hours or daily, all-day use (the 357-frames). You get a 250gr bullet @970fps & ability to turn that up to 1200fps if desired ... and actually, in a round about way, it's the favoured, timeless 44 special arguments all over again, only this time it's without old historical guns to be of concern in hindering it's pressure threshold should SAMMI & the manufacturers bring it to market in factory form. It's the perfect scenario really for a new "factory" product the likes of what the market's cried for the last 100 years... (being a 975/1000fps factory, store shelf 44special)

Done right, some company could hit a real home-run far as I'm concerned... 41 special is a great, very versatile round. Smaller guns. Lighter & handier. No muzzle flash or shock like the 357's have. True Big bore. It's just a best of all worlds kind of arrangement... have to try it
    A 250 grain at 1200 fps, I have my doubts that is at lower pressure or less powder. I say cut out the middle man. I want a real 41 magnum GP100, come on Ruger!

Boolit Master
    I get 1175 with 13 gr of 2400 with a 230 gr LFN HP out of my 6inch GP100. Going to drop that back a bit as I was only wanting 1000 or so. Shoots lights out, and deer don’t go far. I suspect that load is running in the 22,000 psi range, more than I like in the mid frame gun. Plenty enough for Tennessee. I have a 41 mag to tracker, actually shoot the same load in it, plenty enough in a 22 oz gun!

Would seem to me that if Ruger did the same barrel design( whatever it is) that the 10mm uses then 41mag could be in the cards. Cyl will be about like the tracker, full 41mag but needs short nosed bullets, or special brass. Kinda like the 327 single 7, long enough but crowded. My 41 special is 6 shot, a factory 41 mag would doubtless be 5. One for the deer and 4 spares

Boolit Grand Master

That was the old argument, they would never have a 41 magnum because they would need to make it a 5 shot. Well they have had a 5 shot 44 special for years now. Then they beefed up the barrel for the 10mm auto. All they have left to do... is do it. The short cylinder length shouldn't be a huge problem. It's not like the single 7 where you can't go one idota over, you can run up to 1.650" OAL in the GP100, which shouldn't be a huge detriment to all but the very heaviest of bullets. As you say, things get abusive fast in a lighter gun, I think 250 grains is plenty heavy in a 36-38 ounce gun.

Boolit Master
    "A 250 grain at 1200 fps, I have my doubts that is at lower pressure or less powder. I say cut out the middle man. I want a real 41 magnum GP100, come on Ruger!"

...before you get what you wish for...you may want to pull the trigger of a GP-100 MC 10mm with 200-220grain Buffalo Bore or Underwood Hard Cast... My loads are running 1250 with a 200 grain from a semi and are NOT peasant to shoot in the GP...

And that would be the nice thing about getting a "modern" Special...one could make it "special"...like instead of 17-20K psi for the .38 and .44 get SAAMI specs of 30K psi and watch the thing rock...

Bob

Boolit Master
    RJM52, seems you have a 10mm GP100. Could you post a couple closeups of the barrel extension? I have never been able to put hands on one and wondering what they did to beef that up is driving me nuts! If you know any details about that design or a link it would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    "A 250 grain at 1200 fps, I have my doubts that is at lower pressure or less powder. I say cut out the middle man. I want a real 41 magnum GP100, come on Ruger!"

...before you get what you wish for...you may want to pull the trigger of a GP-100 MC 10mm with 200-220grain Buffalo Bore or Underwood Hard Cast... My loads are running 1250 with a 200 grain from a semi and are NOT peasant to shoot in the GP...

And that would be the nice thing about getting a "modern" Special...one could make it "special"...like instead of 17-20K psi for the .38 and .44 get SAAMI specs of 30K psi and watch the thing rock...

Bob
    I've shot both a 200 grain that went 1225 fps and 220 grain that went 1145 fps from my 357 magnum GP100. They weren't bad at all. Unfortunately, and contrary to any stability wisdom, the 220 grain seems to shoot better slower, but nothing has been as good as the 200 grain bullets, and I still can't really find either a benefit over the 175 grain Keith. I've only tried the 220 grain 10mm auto in a Sig P220 semi auto, and they sure had some pop!

I currently have a S&W model 57 for 41 magnum, and it does shoot very well. It is also shorter and sleeker than my 44 magnum redhawk, but in reality is not lighter. Unfortunately it starts having cylinder rotating problems with bullets around 240 grains. It's not the end of the world, but my current accuracy load is a 220 grain at 1150 fps. Is that enough of a boost over my 357 magnum load of 175 grain at 1225 fps to justify a gun that is almost 30% heavier? I'm not so sure. A 41 magnum GP100 would not be a shoot all day gun. It's compact power.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have two Questions .
    Can regular 41 Magnum dies be used to reload the 41 Special cases ?
    Usually the shorter cases can't be crimped in dies made for the longer Magnum case .

I wouldn't mind buying some 41 Special brass and loading up some 41 Special Loads , I have the 41 special data , but not if I have to find some way to shorten the crimp die ... I have no tools or machine skills to do it with .
    Anyone making 41 special seat/crimp dies ?
    How do you load them ?
    My avatar is a 41 Magnum,
    Gary
    The only .41 magnum crimp die that won't crimp a .41spl is the RCBS. Dillon, Lee, Hornady and Redding will all crimp with no alteration. This is my experience.....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    A 250 grain at 1200 fps, I have my doubts that is at lower pressure or less powder. I say cut out the middle man. I want a real 41 magnum GP100, come on Ruger!
    The trick to it is bullet selection. There are 41mag bullets 250+ that have more bullet below the crimp than others (which eats up case space, cuts capacity & therefore raises pressure) but there are also heavies that are designed to give maximum case capacity instead, which allow pressures to stay moderate while peaking performance at civil levels compared to what the full house magnums do ... and THAT is what makes it viable in the mid-frames. It's the same thing that makes this caliber so desirable in place of a big bore magnum too. Like I already stated, it's true 40+ big bore performance suited for the handiest most pack friendly guns out there. It's the ideal all-arounder for an outdoorsman, and could even easily cross over to CO's & LEO's the way the 41mag was intended but failed to do due to manufacturers frame-size choice and where the ammo companies set the original loads to be. They overshot it then, and missed the mark right off the hop. The "special" could right that wrong for good this time.

Truthfully, I don't believe 250's @1200 are even making 30,000psi in the 41special... I would argue they're more in line with the 44special Keith load that tests in the 25,000psi range long as the loader choses their bullet design correctly. Done right, in the right guns, the calibers potential in the midframes is enormous. The single action midframe market is without a doubt, an untapped market for something a step above what the 357 can do, but below the bellowing bronc buster big bores from 44 & up. It's about the last perfected shooter/packer avenue left undone anymore.....

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to be loading to 30,000 PSI, just accept the great 41 magnum. No need to reinvent the wheel. I load down my 41 magnum, there's nothing you can't do with the magnum cartridge, that you can with the special. I simply do not see Ruger ever introducing it. 41 magnum is a long term commercially offered cartridge of moderate popularity, it is a good choice. If Ruger were to introduce an odd ball, they would be much better off reintroducing the 401 powermag, and calling it the 400 Ruger or some such. They would only need to lengthen the chambers of their 10mm auto versions.

Boolit Grand Master

I don’t remember doing anything to my Lee 41 mag dies to load my 41 specials. It had the adjustment range needed.
    Thanks for reply .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    The only .41 magnum crimp die that won't crimp a .41spl is the RCBS. Dillon, Lee, Hornady and Redding will all crimp with no alteration. This is my experience.....
    Thank You,
    My dies are older ..1 set is Herter's and the other are Bonanza , picked up for $2.00 .
    One of the crimp dies should work .

One of the reasons for loading 41 Special is the empties eject fully and cleanly and they are easy to distinguish from magnum loads .
    As if I need more stuff to load.
    Yeah ... it's just an excuse but I can't help it !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast