Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch ovens........

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Dutch ovens........

I'm seriously considering giving up my Coleman stove (or at least using it less) and learning to cook in a dutch oven. Lots of great recipies out there! Now, I want to just get my toes wet, so price vs. value is the big question. I've looked at Lodge and just about every import (including Harbor Freight) with the lip around the lid and three legs. I found one made by Universal Housewares (ps193) that's carried by quite a few online outfits like Amazon and I like the design. Rugged looking and has legs on the LID as well as the base....nice idea, but nowhere can I find how BIG it is! There's no dimensions or capacity given (I actually sent an angry email to their corporate offices). Has anyone bought one of these?
    Last edited by 3006guns; 12-19-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Master

These recipies are for a crock pot, but probely adapt them to a Dutch Oven.

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookboo.../index-5b.html
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Smile

Well, their ad says they're 11" so I guess that's the size.
    http://www.universalhousewares.com/f...pfile33_29.pdf

IIRC that's about a 4 or 6 quart, which is the smaller size. I don't know why you don't just look for some Lodge. They're available in that and several other, larger, sizes. Plus they are a known entity.

After some experience, you may very well want to branch out into other brands, and styles, of cast iron.
    Regards,

WE

Moderator Emeritus

If I cannot take the oven out of the box and look at the fit I will not buy it. Right now it is tough to go wrong with a Lodge. Chinese imports have gotten better but most will loose moisture out the lid due to poor fitting. Loss of moisture is the detriment of a dutch oven recipe.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

I'd stick with Lodge and go with the 12 inch 8 quart. I use the 12 inch 6 quart but sometimes a little more depth would come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-8-...ref=pd_sbs_k_6

When you order your oven remember to order a lid lifter too.

What Pat I. said. That Lodge lid lifter is a handy thing to have. A Lid stand can be a handy thing, too. It keeps the grass and dirt off the cooking side of a lid when you need to set it down some place in order to add things to the contents of your pot.

I have good luck with my Cabelas dutch oven.

mmmmm....

Cherry Chocolate Surprise Cake
    1 chocolate cake mix; prepared as
    directed
    1 egg
    1 (20 oz.) can cherry pie filling 3 Tbs. sugar
    1 (8 oz.) brick cream cheese 1 tsp. vanilla
    Pour prepared cake batter into a greased 12" Dutch oven. Spoon cherry pie filling into clumps over cake
    batter. In a small mixing bowl cream together cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Drop
    by tablespoons over top of cake.
    Place lid on oven. Bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 1 hour or until top
    center of cake springs back when touched.
    Serve warm with whip cream as topping.
    Serves: 10-12

found at :http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~p...rychoccake.htm

They have Lodge at Wal-Mart. I looked at them this morning to see what brand they were. It even comes with a cook book.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy

yup I would go with lodge as the rest have said, will level out the learning curve and make it more fun when things come out right, keep the off brand for pork and beans if ya have to have one, good luck and enjoy.

C.B.

Boolit Bub
    I would definately go with a Lodge. The Lodge quality is much beter than the Chinese made ovens. They are a little more expensive but consider you are buying something that will last your life time plus some. Camp Chef makes a pretty good oven too but not as nice as Lodge.

For a starter oven you can't beat a 12" standard oven. Most of the recipes are written for a 12" oven. I like a standard oven as they brown faster than a deep oven. A standard 12" oven will feed a bunch of people. Walmart around here has the best deal on a 12" Lodge. $48. Bass Pro shop has the lions share of Lodge in stock.

An 8" oven is "close" to 1/2 of a 12" and will make main dish for 5 people.

You also will need a lid stand, lid lifter, gloves, and tongs. A chimney starter for the charcoal is great to have too. A carrying bag is handy.

Corbi

Boolit Bub
    I have three Dutch Ovens. Here is my 2 cents worth....

My favorite by a long shot is one made by Camp Chef. It's a Lewis and Clark commemorative. Big deep lid that can be used as a fry pan. Small port between lid and pot where you could place a "meat" thermometer to check temps.

The lid fits perfect. It basically pressure cooks your recepies.

Sportsman's Warehouse has some awesome private label ones. Far ....Far....superior to those retailed by Harbor Freight etc.....

It's a great way to cook. We even use ours during the hot summer months so we don't have to heat us the oven in the house.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

Boolit Mold

looking

Does anyone here have a cooking guide for a dutch oven that tells how many coals go where to cook at different temp's. I have a nephew that has one he keeps in his wallet. He lives in texas and I live in Ms. he was down before christmas and I forgot to get a copy of his. They have a camper and a group of them use the dutch ovens to cook meals in when they camp together each one cooks something different and they make up a meal for the group with their different pots. The guide tells how many coals to put under and on top of the dutch oven to get the proper temp's. He cooks a mean apple cobbler in his and has cooked it several times here and it is always perfect.

Boolit Master
    Wow! Dutch ovens are made for cooking? Dennis

Banned

This might be what you're looking for but you're better off getting a cookbook or searching the dutch oven sites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan10004_594x768.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	18475

This is a pretty good site with some good links.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/
    Last edited by Pat I.; 01-03-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Get a 12 inch Wagner or Lodge. I actually quit using slow cookers years ago after you see what a "Dutch Oven" can do. I use it in the house so not worried about an indented lid. If you can find a 12 inch Wagner with heavy glass lid, grab it and never look back, really great!. Research how to season it and it will just get better every time you cook in it witch will be often once you find out what it can do.

Check out yard sales, the old ons or definitely the best. Do NOT buy one of the "Thin" ones you see at Wall Mart!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    If I cannot take the oven out of the box and look at the fit I will not buy it. Right now it is tough to go wrong with a Lodge. Chinese imports have gotten better but most will loose moisture out the lid due to poor fitting. Loss of moisture is the detriment of a dutch oven recipe.
    I have both 12" lodge ovens and love them. I'm with MT Gianni, if i can't test the lid fit I wont buy a DO. It's that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
    I would definately go with a Lodge. The Lodge quality is much beter than the Chinese made ovens. They are a little more expensive but consider you are buying something that will last your life time plus some. Camp Chef makes a pretty good oven too but not as nice as Lodge.
    I cooked with a couple camp chefs and thought highly of them. MACA makes an excellent oven too. If you want to render a whole hog MACA will have an oven to use. Seriously, they're plop ovens. once you plop them off the back of your pickup that's where you cook. However if you're cooking for an entire troop and their families a big MACA is just the ticket. My neighbor is the district comissioner for scouts and has a MACA that we have done two 20 lb turkeys in.

If you ever have the opportunity to get a lodge bean pot for a good price grab it. I have two and can't conceive of a better pot for doing pot roast, beef stew or beef stroganoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Changeling;788482]Get a 12 inch Wagner or Lodge. I actually quit using slow cookers years ago after you see what a "Dutch Oven" can do. I use it in the house so not worried about an indented lid. If you can find a 12 inch Wagner with heavy glass lid, grab it and never look back, really great!. Research how to season it and it will just get better every time you cook in it witch will be often once you find out what it can do.

+1 on the Wagner. We have 2 but not with glass lids. Didn't know the came that way. Ours' are cast aluminum.

Winelover

Le Loup Solitaire

Dutch Ovens

Lodge is the only remaining manufacturer of cast iron cookware in the US, that is still producing now. In the past century +, names that were well known included Griswold, Wagner, Wapak and others. The problem is that those have become collectibles and the prices on them have gone out of control. The quality of the polished cookware produced by those firms for the better part of 100 years was exceptional. Griswold and Wagner both made DO sizes ranging from 6-13 but many of them are rarities. The true so-called camp or chuck wagon versions were at least size 10, had 3 legs so that they could sit in or above the coals or have coals and or briquets placed under them, They also had s "sailor hat" shaped lid into which coals or briquets could be placed. This provided steady heat on all sides. They are going for $200. and up. If I saw right the last time I looked at a Lodge display there is a similar DO with the legs and sailor hat lid with rim still being produced by them, and it is at a reasonable price. Anyone who is seriously considering DO cooking should consider this model. The Lodge foundry is located in Tennesse and I'm sure that they are available on-line and they probably also publish a catalog that lists dimensions of their wares. They also sell books on cast iron/DO cooking with lots of recipes. The quality of their casting is good, although not quite as silky smooth as the Griswold or Wagner.But once properly seasoned either the old names or the Lodge can and will crank out superb AAA+ chow. LLS

Boolit Master
    I got just about all of my "dutch ovens" second hand. Yard sales, second hand stores, estate auctions and even the Goodwill store. They are even available at fleabay and Goodwill even has an online store. You'd be surprised at how cheap you may find some of the items. The 4 and 6 qt. sizes are most abundant. The best one is the "Lewis and Clark" commemorative and it was a gift from a now departed friend. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

I was thinking about being flippant and saying Le Creuset but they don't make the type of dutch oven you're looking for so I'll agree with the 15 other people who already said Lodge. They are the best VALUE I've seen in cast iron, and are still made in the USA to boot.
    Between midnight and dawn, when sleep will not come and all the old wounds begin to ache, I often have a nightmare vision of a future world in which there are billions of people, all numbered and registered, with not a gleam of genius anywhere, not an original mind, a rich personality, on the whole packed globe. -John Boynton Priestley