Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: .375 Ruger

Boolit Buddy

.375 Ruger

Looking for info on loading cast in .375 Ruger cal. have a 265gr gc mould. this is a rather large case. anyone have anything to share here. not a lot of info in the new reloading manuels. from what i see 375 H&H is really close and might double over to some extent. have tried imr-4350, imr 4198, h380, h335os (use 3031 data) even tried red dot. none of the above has given me anything to brag about. sure would like to hear what others are doing. what say you?
    m

Boolit Master
    Correct on 375 H&H crossing over as the Ruger 375. The Ruger 375 case is actually a bit larger regarding capacity (shorter, but fatter). Anyway, you never specified what velocities you are wanting to achieve. You can shoot reduced loads very well with IMR 4759 or Accurate Arms 5744. I've reloaded the 375 H&H with 50 grains of IMR 4064 and have found my best groups. The load using what I assume is the same bullet you are pushing, the Lyman 265 grain GC, shoots a touch over 2000 fps from a 20 in barrel for me. I also use the same powder with a heavy 330 grain NEI bullet at about 1950 fps.

I think that I need more velocity on the NEI to help it stabilze as the accuracy although good is not MOA at 200 yards......close though. Further testing required on the heavy hitter.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks robs
    the bullet is from a custom mould i had veral smith (lbt) make for the gun. the bbl is 24in and i am getting leading with all loads. may still have some jacket fowling. will work on that. i do have a can of 4064. i will give that a try. the rifle has no throat so the 330 bullet is not an option. the short neck makes it hard to load a bullet and keep the bullet base in the neck. i do have the lyman 335 gr. mould. i use it in a 38-55 and it works well. no go in this gun. thanks for the heads up on the 4064. i did try 5744 it was no better. looks like i got a lot of work to do. velocity i think anything over 2000 will be satisfactory for all applications.
    m

Boolit Grand Master

I'll pass on my loads for my 375 H&H with cast, they should be a good place to work from in your Ruger.

I use WW cases and WLR primers. I size .377 and use Hornady GCs with Javelina lube. Alloy is dependant on intended use. Most practice bullets are cast of WWs WQ'd. Hunting bullets are AC'd WW/lead at 50/50.

For small game; a Hornady .375 RP lightly lubed with LLA over 4 gr of Bullseye ( no wad or filler) gives 900 fps and 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards all day long. This shoots this well even if the barrel is J bullet fouled.

Mid range "deer load"; 377449 over 36 gr 5744 (no wad or filler) for 1860 fps and excellent 1 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 yards and 2 moa at 200 yards.

Heavy practice load and/or hunting load; 377449 over 50 gr 4895 with a 1 gr dacron filler for 2200 fps and 2 moa accuracy out to 200 yards (haven't grouped it any farther).

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    thanks Larry,
    i have a can of 4895 i will give it a try along with the 4064.
    i do appreciate everything from everyone.
    m

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'll pass on my loads for my 375 H&H with cast, they should be a good place to work from in your Ruger.

I use WW cases and WLR primers. I size .377 and use Hornady GCs with Javelina lube. Alloy is dependant on intended use. Most practice bullets are cast of WWs WQ'd. Hunting bullets are AC'd WW/lead at 50/50.

For small game; a Hornady .375 RP lightly lubed with LLA over 4 gr of Bullseye ( no wad or filler) gives 900 fps and 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards all day long. This shoots this well even if the barrel is J bullet fouled.

Mid range "deer load"; 377449 over 36 gr 5744 (no wad or filler) for 1860 fps and excellent 1 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 yards and 2 moa at 200 yards.

Heavy practice load and/or hunting load; 377449 over 50 gr 4895 with a 1 gr dacron filler for 2200 fps and 2 moa accuracy out to 200 yards (haven't grouped it any farther).

Larry Gibson
    Just got a Mossberg 375 ruger as I have always wanted to try a bigger bore. Very inexpensive rifle. So far shoots J bullets okay at 100 yards. Found this older thread.
    Questions-
    What is the Hornady RP?
    Do you still use the Bullseye load? I love having a cast sneeze load in my pocket for grouse when deer hunting. Do you envision any changes to the charge for the ruger cartridge?
    Do you know if "the load" for Red Dot would be safe to try in the larger case of the Ruger?

I have some of the 377449 loaded with 5744 ready to try.

Boolit Master
    I deer hunted with my 375 Ruger a couple of years ago and took a big doe with a cast bullet at about 50 yards. The bullet was a NOE hollow point, somewhere around 275 grains I think. The powder charge was 85 grains of one of the surplus 50 BMG powders I bought from Bartlett’s. It chronos at 1900 fps and is plenty accurate at 100 yards. I used a magnum primer but no kicker.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I deer hunted with my 375 Ruger a couple of years ago and took a big doe with a cast bullet at about 50 yards. The bullet was a NOE hollow point, somewhere around 275 grains I think. The powder charge was 85 grains of one of the surplus 50 BMG powders I bought from Bartlett’s. It chronos at 1900 fps and is plenty accurate at 100 yards. I used a magnum primer but no kicker.
    I have some RETUMBO that gives poor accuracy in the 25-06 I bought it for. Wonder if that powder would work similarly to he 50 cal powder, and what charge would be a safe place to start with cast bullets?

Boolit Grand Master

"What is the Hornady RP?"

My bad.....It should read "RB".....for Round Ball. Yes, I still load and shoot them but I have a .375 RB mould now so I cast my own out of pure lead or 40-1.

Never tried "the load" with Red Dot but I see no reason it wouldn't work. May have to be tweaked +/- a bit because of the larger case.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for restarting this thread. I just rechamsbered a Mauser I had put together in 376 Steyr to 375 Ruger. So, now I have to get some brass and work up loads for it. Now I need to decide which NOE mold to get.
    Keep the information coming.
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 12-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Any updates or new info to report? I have a Lyman 335 and Lee 250 grain mold and use WW alloy wq'd. Ruger AK guide gun w/20" barrel. The Lyman chambers nicely at magazine length for a dummy round. Got AA-4350, IMR-4064, 4895, 3031, RL-15, Varget, and WW-760, plus AA-4064 to choose from, also 4198. Not much in Lyman #4, except for two powders I don't have.

75% of .375 H&H jacketed loads as a starting point?

Sailorman
    Recharging an old thread. Are you happy with your decision to rechamber your Mauser to 375 Ruger? I have a Steyr prohunter in .376. I am in love with the rifle. I can shoot heavy charges and surprise ten years off the life of unsuspecting passersby or shoot light loads with GREAT! accuracy. I've shot several deer with light loads and it is like a bolt of lightning hit them with almost no meat damage. I it is without a doubt a favorite rifle. The problem is the worry about future cartridge availability. An answer to a question that shouldn't happen to me is the 375 Ruger since brass is sometimes available. It is also a possible chambering for a mauser action I have too.
    What did you do with your 376 brass?

Boolit Master

For my 375 H&H, Lyman 375449, Hornady Gas Check, Javalina lube,
    CCI 200 primer, 58 to 60 grains of 4831.

Mike

p.s. I see Little Doc has not posted in nearly a year, hope he is doing well
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Sailorman
    Recharging an old thread. Are you happy with your decision to rechamber your Mauser to 375 Ruger? I have a Steyr prohunter in .376. I am in love with the rifle. I can shoot heavy charges and surprise ten years off the life of unsuspecting passersby or shoot light loads with GREAT! accuracy. I've shot several deer with light loads and it is like a bolt of lightning hit them with almost no meat damage. I it is without a doubt a favorite rifle. The problem is the worry about future cartridge availability. An answer to a question that shouldn't happen to me is the 375 Ruger since brass is sometimes available. It is also a possible chambering for a mauser action I have too.
    What did you do with your 376 brass?
    What I found is that the 376 Steyr worked just fine out of a standard length 98 action, but the 375 Ruger needs an action that has been modified for a Magnum round.
    So far, I've rechambered the barrel and installed it on a Magnum modified action. I've bedded it to the stock. It has not been fired yet, though that's coming.
    It does feed very smooth. Barrel is rather heavy and that should help keep the recoil down.