Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing a cast iron mold against rust.

Boolit Master

Storing a cast iron mold against rust.

I have some very heavy duty plastic cans with tops that seal absolutely air tight.

Can I just put a cast iron mold in there with a quart of motor oil for safe keeping from rust?

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I will tell you that it is not a good idea for long term storage. The airtight container will condensate and the moisture will collect at the bottom of the container. I have dealt with a lot of machine rollerbearings that were stored that way and were useless when opened due to the rust that developed on the areas of the bearing closest to the bottom. I have seen bearings stored in this fashion that were suspended off the bottom and were in prefect shape, but the oil in the bottom of all these oil containers are always contaminated with water.

Regards
    Everett

one thing i do is coat the mould with fluid flim . it is what the navy uses on deck to prevent rust in salt water so i know it works .
    plus it is easy to clean.
    after the coating of fluid flim put mould in a plastic bagieand store in a ammo can.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Banned

I coat mine with break free, then put in a ziplock bag, then put in a plastic jar turn the lid on tight with some dissecants in it and put in an airtight ammo can.

so far so good.

Boolit Grand Master

I always coat iron blocks with oil and leave boolits in the cavities so the oil is retained against the surfaces of the mould. Usually, I use light oil like 3 in One, gun oil or automatic transmission oil mixed with WD 40.

Once oiled they go back in their box.

I have never had a mould rust and don't have any problems cleaning them for casting.

WD 40 alone does not work in my opinion as it eventually dries up, but it penetrates well and is a good carrier for other oils.

Works for me anyway.

Longbow

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Put some oil on them and store them in your safes with the guns not like they are going to take up alot of room just a thought and no it did not hurt when I had it.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

A cheap under counter 15W florescent light generates enough heat to keep a cabinet that is about 2'X4' dry enough to store all of my 13 casting moulds, #1 & #2 ladles, a 6 qt. Dutch Oven and four homemade ingot moulds dry in South/Central NC dry and rust free all year long.
    EW

Boolit Grand Master
    Coat with oil, put back in the little orange plastic box. No problems.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

spray it down with WD-40 and store it in a ziplock sandwhich bag

I use mold release from Brownell's. Just squirt em down when cool & they go into a drawer w/ all my other molds in the garage.

In Remembrance
    I use LLA everywhere but the cavities on steel and iron moulds. Once lightly coated (doesn't take much at all), I spray a pre-cut piece of old cotton t-shirt with G96 and loosely wrap it around the mould, then set it in a rubbermaid type of shoe box (with the other moulds) that has a handful of dessicants in it.

LLA is cheap, so is xlox from Lars45 (vendor at bottom of page), old t-shirts are plentiful and free, I always have at least two cans of G96 around, rubbermaid shoe boxes can be had at Walmart for around a dollar or so each (and will hold a lot of moulds) and our pharmacists saves all the dessicants and gives them to me.

Easy, cheap and quick storage with no rust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I use mold release from Brownell's. Just squirt em down when cool & they go into a drawer w/ all my other molds in the garage.
    Hi Fred, If I sprayed them down with CLP Gun oil heavily and stored them in my basement in a non sealed box, you think that would be OK?
    Fred is your garage heated?

Recluse- I don't know what LLA is
    Last edited by Changeling; 12-12-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Hi Fred, If I sprayed them down with CLP Gun oil heavily and stored them in my basement in a non sealed box, you think that would be OK?
    Fred is your garage heated?

Recluse- I don't know what LLA is
    I would think they would be fine. I store mine in a steel drawer w/ a desic pack under my casting area. My garage is not heated but again, it's SoCal, so there isn't a lot of moisture except during the rainy season.

Boolit Grand Master

Oil is a pain and all it does is provide a barrier to moisture. If the cans are air tight, place the mold in the can with a desiccant pack and be done. No moisture, no rust.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Kroil works for me.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    It is astonishing that there has been different answers from everyone. I guess the best way to read this is to just use a little logic and everything will be fine as Fred implied.

Something else I thought of today was the totally dissembled rear end from a Jeep from World War 2 that I saw being taken out of wooden storage box cleaned and being assembled. It was like brand new!

What was the magical coating, Cosmoline I think it was called, like grease. I don't even know if it is available anymore. But the parts were PERFECT.

I am just going to use CLP gun oil and store like I do my guns. When I want to use the mold I'll clean it with Hot soapy water in a 5 gal bucket or the kitchen sink, then heat it up in the mold pot like Veral Smith advised till I've burnt off all the oil in the metal pores and start casting.
    Sounds like a plan.

Use a good DRY oil motor oil will work iron needs water, mosture or AIR to rust oil will seal out air but it must STAY on the metal for the time you want protection, grease may also be a good choice, me I us hydraulic or motor oil and put molds back in original box
    no problems.
    bruce

Changling and all

These are the people that made/make cosmoline. This Rust Veto is what we use at Ga Tech to protect machines, when there will be moisture caused by the testing.Rust Veto selector

PS it comes off with kerosene.
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

No sense in reposting the same info so I will link:

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21862

Boolit Grand Master

Now then turbo1889 is a thinking man! That is a good idea!

While I really don't have trouble with the way I have been oiling (and I do believe in coating the iron moulds) this is an interesting idea and obviously works.

I may be slow sometimes but I can still be taught. I will try this next casting session.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast