Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 41 magnum vs 10 mm auto

Banned
    I can shoot 14 from my 10mm GRAND and reload 13 more faster than you can shoot 6 from your S&W and reload 6 more. AND I have a green laser too.

Wonder who is last man standing ?

Boolit Master

I love zombie threads!

I'm a big fan of the 10mm. Awesomely versatile cartridge. A Glock model 20 is a capable platform.
    Loaded with an LBT 200 gr WFN at 1250 fps gives me plenty of confidence in the backcountry.

That being said, I am pretty sure that my next revolver will be in 41 magnum. Not sure why, but I'm intrigued.

Banned

vitals on most animals hunted with either both 2 legged and 4 legged only need about 6 to 8 inches of penetration to get to the vitals or central nervous system. I guess it may be an adavange if your blazing away and deer running away from you. If your seriously using either for dangerous game backup then you have a bigger set then me. There both pop guns when a grizzly is looking you in the eye. PLEASE GOD give me the sense to have a 475 or 500 of some kind on me when that happens or better yet don't make me so stupid as to leave my rifle sitting out of reach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    I can shoot 14 from my 10mm GRAND and reload 13 more faster than you can shoot 6 from your S&W and reload 6 more. AND I have a green laser too.

Wonder who is last man standing ?
    Whoever makes the first decent hit.

Banned
    And how many Griz bears have you confronted in MI ? In WY we actually have a LOT of them. If you believe a Buffalo Bore 10mm load will not kill a Griz bear or anything else in the lower 48, you are misinformed.

Then there is the inconvenient fact that I can get off 3 shots with the 10mm in the time a SA hand cannon can get off one. AND have 11 more while you have 4.

I know NO outfitter who carries a 5 pound 5 shot SA revolver as a backup weapon.

A handgun is always the weapon of last resort in bear country. My horse carries a 300 WinMag semi auto in hunting season and an 870 stoked with 3" Brenneke Blacks otherwise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Whoever makes the first decent hit.
    Yes, and less recoil, faster repeat shots and better sighting usually wins the day.

Banned

yup and I can find some 44 numbers to show you you should leave your 41 at home or even 475 numbers that make that 44 look like a pop gun. fps and ftlbs don't kill putting a bullet into the vitals or central nervous system does. Stem to stearn. Well a 220 hardcast 401 bullet probably is pretty close in bc to a 250 grain 41 bullet. One things for sure. If you've actually hunted with cast bullets you know as well as I do that pushing a cast bullet more then 1200 fps doesn't allways relate to more penetration. More times then not a bullet out of anything short of monotype hitting bone much faster deforms and you end up with less penetration or at least a bullet that deflects on its "stem to stern pass"

Penetration isn't allways a caliber or speed game. I shot my 5.5 in accusport bisley 44 at a Linebaugh semiar years ago in the penetration tests. I was loaded with a 340 lfngc cast out of lineotype and pushed to a bit under 1200fps. It was beat by only 4 guns that year. two 475 loads (one was a punch bullet that I knew I had no chance against) and the other two was my own 458 shooting win 500 grain solids and a 458 lott shooting solids. Point is what you load is as important as what gun your using. Numbers don't mean much other then to mathematicians .

Another thing that was kind of an eye opener there was the charging bear target. Now you have some of the best handgun shooters ive met there and watch them with a single action or double action with just the pressure of people watching that aren't going to eat them and most were lucky and I mean lucky to get two hits on it. What dominated that shooting was a few with 1911s and a couple guys with glocks. Many of them got 5 or 6 hits and some even that many in the vitals. I got 4 in the vitals with my 1911 and one in the vitals with my 500 and another one cranked off that might have hit the moon. I know many who couldn't hit a paper target at 25 yards shooting da every time let alone if you rush them at all. Sure theres guys that do well with long da trigger pulls but there pretty darned rare. Most of the jmort fantasize about that. https://www.range365.com/best-bear-defense-handgun
    Just go to Buffalo Bore, Underwood, or Double Tap, and you can shine a real bright light on this. Here is Buffalo Bore with specific guns:

HEAVY .41 MAGNUM OUTDOORSMAN
    265 gr. L.W.N. (1,350 fps/M.E. 1,072 ft. lbs.)

➤ 6.5" Ruger
    a. Item #16A - 1379 fps

➤ 4" S&W Mountain Gun

a. Item #16A - 1310 fps

HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
    (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

➤ 1140 fps - Glock model 20 4.6-inch barrel
    ➤ 1175 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5-inch barrel
    ➤ 1201 fps - Para Ordnance 1911 with Nowlin 5-inch barrel

Sorry to dissapoint team 10mm. I like my 10mm, a lot. I just do not fantasize about it.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-01-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Banned
    Shooting at targets, even "charging ones" is a lot different than confronting a real threat in real time.

My 329 stoked with 310 gr hardcasts and max load of H110 is being retired in favor of the Grand with Buffalo Bores.

I have shot them sided by side, deploying from El Paso Tanker holster. There is no comparison after shot #1.

Were I confident in one shot, I'd carry my 45-70 Contender.

Banned

Shooting at targets, even "charging ones" is a lot different than confronting a real threat in real time.
    yes sir your correct. Point was that just the stress of a charging piece of paper rattles most even very experienced handgun shooters. Now replace that paper with something that wants to eat you. take a roll of toilet paper and some handwipes along with you. Closest I came was a 300 lb bore that came at me (well I think it did anyway) I shot a sow and the bore that was with her came right at me. I don't know if it wanted me or the hole in the brush behind me it dove into. I had one of my 475s in my hand and didn't even have time to aim at it. Matter of fact it ended up in the dirt. I just jumped up and it went right through my legs. Buddys got a good laugh. far from an 800lb grizzly bear coming at you. All this dangerous game back up fantasy's is just walter middy stuff. Much it by guys who have shot a deer or two with a handgun (if even that). heck im guilty myself. I own a 458 mag. Aint know elephants in Michigan last I checked. Only thing its killed is a 200 lb black bear in a tree that could have been shot with a 357. I can at least have some repect for you opinion Sven. You live in bear country and even if you haven't had to face down a bear you've probably at least talked to people who have.

Boolit Master
    About the buffalo Bore chart listed above....the numbers do give a way to compare in similar terms even if it is not as accurate as to real life. There are almost always bigger more powerful handguns. The .500 and .475 are normally going to be at the top.. from there it is pretty much down hill. Now that does not make the lesser .45s, 44. .41 useless just as with most things.. one has to use what they have on hand when it is needed. I have a 10 mm and it is a powerful black gun. I would rather have it than nothing at all.

Banned

"Most of the jmort fantasize about that."

English please?

Banned

About 10 years ago the O/P asked a simple question about the difference in ballistics between the .41 magnum and a 10mm in a revolver. Simple question. Simple answer. Lot of long-winded posts that have nothing to do with the question.

.41 is pretty nice, like having a one handed 40-65 that's almost not one handed any more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.41 Rivet Trial Loads 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	237214

Looking forward to testing that boolit in the single shot rifle too.
    The load on the left was a humdinger.

The .41 magnum is the .41 Magnum. The 10mm is more like a high capacity .41 Special. To me.

Banned

About 10 years ago the O/P asked a simple question about the difference in ballistics between the .41 magnum and a 10mm in a revolver. Simple question. Simple answer. Lot of long-winded posts that have nothing to do with the question.
    lets see. I post 7 times on this thread and your posted 17 times!!! truth be told 8 wasted pages. the original question could have been answered easily with two words PRACTICAL NO
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-03-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Banned

"Most of the jmort fantasize about that."

English please?
    My apology, the jmort was suppose to be middy. now im up to over half as many as you!

Boolit Grand Master
    I just love a good Caliber War. It has sold a whole lot of gunrags and sucked up a bunch of bandwidth online.

I love the 10mm. I have at least 20 years of experience with the caliber. I wish like Sheol I could have carried it on duty when I was chasing bad guys for a living. Is it a "Magazine-fed 41 Magnum"? Not quite, but close with the right loadings. Is it "Only a magazine-fed 357 Magnum?" It can be, if you choose to limit yourself to its medium-intensity factory loadings. Is it "No better than the 40 S&W"? It can be that, too--if you opt for the FBI-touted 10mm Lite loads by Federal.

The 41 Magnum is a GREAT CALIBER--if you handload. Its adherence to dimensional integrity among its makers impresses me a lot. I think this has been the key to its popularity over the years, a trait it shares with the 38 Special and 357 Magnum. The 44 Magnum and 45 Colt can be.......dimensionally poetic, let's just say--and often require some gymnastics with platform or componentry and tooling to get their best performances. The 10mm has had a similar close adherence to dimensional standards IME. This GREATLY assists those engaged in working up handloads to feed their sidearms with that are accurate and reliable.

My thoughts--if a person only wants to buy one revolver or autopistol caliber for general usage, you could do far worse that to make your choice either or both the 10mm Auto and/or the 41 Magnum. Autopistol vs. revolver? I used to think that the self-loaders were superior in all respects to the wheelgun as felon repellent. I am not as convinced of that superiority as I once was, though I do feel that the autopistol's advantages still outweigh those of a revolver in a Big Picture overview--with the proviso that its user keep his or her skill set sharpened. I have ZERO DOUBT after many years as a trainer that autopistol skill sets are FAR more perishable than are D/A revolver skill sets.

So, a 10mm if you are willing to hit the range monthly. A S&W M-57 or M-58 if your habits are more relaxed. I do like calibers that start with the number "4" in their decimal descriptor.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

^^^^^^^^^^
    good post

Boolit Mold
    Nice post 9.3X62 Al. I am always amazed how we can spend days comparing apples and oranges. And naturally, if I like oranges better I will come up with many things to prove they are superior. I do hope the OP, got some answers out of all this. I better go and get my 50 BMG there is another red squirrel in my bird feeder. Cheers
    Christian, Father, Husband

Boolit Master

Couldn't agree more 9.3...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw