Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 41 magnum vs 10 mm auto

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, this was really fun to read all the way thru ...sort of a study in ballistics, psychology, humor and a whole lot of opinion all rolled up in one. Of course the 41 Mag is the better of the two...IMHO.

Boolit Master
    yea, yea, Chevy beats Ford and Dodge beats them both. Big deal.
    Some folks like facts and others just want the ideology of mine is better than yours.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master
    Hijo la! I have discontinued use of and the reloading of both the 10mm and the 41 Magnum. Both are fine calibers, quite useful and practical. But my circumstances' totality showed both to be a bit superfluous in light of other calibers also on staff here, and neither of the 2 discontinued calibers was permitted for CCW carry any longer due to HR 218 adoption and agency responses to same. Off they went.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    41 Go BANG
    10mm Go BANG
    BANG good !
    Mongo like BANG !
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    .41 Mag wheel gun= 6 rounds and reload
    10MM auto pistol, mags vary, but my Glock 20=15+1 up the pipe
    Lotta firepower
    The .41 has a slight ballistic advantage, as noted above. I doubt anything you'd shoot a slug into would be able to tell the difference....
    Speaking on my experience at the speed+volume pistol shoots at NCBS where you start with an empty cylinder or clip on the table, you can put a lot more CB's downrange with a revolver than with a clip fed. With a revolver you can load and reload a lot faster plus no worries about "stove piping" a round.

Boolit Mold
    all good data and points. I just have one question.
    a 41 mag and a 100 mm bore is almost identical .5 mm diff.
    the max sami pressure for a 357 and a 41 mag is 35000 psi
    the max sami pressure for a 10 mm auto is 37500 psi. thats an extra 2500 psi.
    if both loaded to max pressure with the same lead, how can a 41 mag pack more punch than a 10 mm??

Boolit Master
    More case capacity for the 41mag, no contest in my mind
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

WOAH... TEN year old post here!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

The .41 mag is in another universive power-wise. Why do the 10mm fan boys make stuff up? I like my 10mm well enough, but it needs to catch-up to the .357 mag, before it even dreams about the .41 mag. Zombie thread should have been left for dead.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I cary a 41 not a 10mm. But learn to use what you got the best you can. Both will do the job. I don't live in what most call bear country but did have a power company employee chased on top of a trailer by a small swamp bear ( small black bear ). Wife said we were moving that day a little closer to the suburbs.

Banned

ya and the 44 mag is in another universe then the 41 but yet fan boys sure like to deny that fact. What it comes down to his how you load them. a 200 grain cast bullet at 1200 fps with the same size metplat as a 210 grain bullet at 1300 fps doesn't have enough difference to even argue. Now if your loading your 41 up to max pressure with a 250 lfn your going to beat the heck out of any 10mm load. Just like if I load my 44 mag up with a 300 grain lfn at max pressure its going to eat a 250 41 for lunch. Now all that said any of the above loads will kill any deer black bear or pig walking on earth. 10 mm fan boys?? No pistol caliber has more fan boys then the 41 mag other then maybe the 45 colt guys. Most of them think just buying a 41 or 45 makes you a sixgun expert. Me I use each and every one of them and like them all. Held against the wall and could only keep one hunting revolver and it would hands down be a 44 mag. Might not be the cool thing for the internet experts but when all the advantages and disadvantages are added up it stands tall. You can go to Walmart and buy a box of ammo and go hunting and never be under gunned. I do like the 45 and freely admit given to an experienced handloader and caster it can out do the 44. But the 41 just never impressed me. Ive owned a half a dozen or so but have probably shot more 44s on any given year then all the 41s ive shot since I got my first 41. to me its like ordering an camaro and getting it with a 6cyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The .41 mag is in another universive power-wise. Why do the 10mm fan boys make stuff up? I like my 10mm well enough, but it needs to catch-up to the .357 mag, before it even dreams about the .41 mag. Zombie thread should have been left for dead.

Boolit Master

A magnum caliber being pitted against one that is not, with the former having a tad bigger cal & case capacity, seems to be a no brainer. All things being equal (bullet design, same gun & powder load), let's see who've done this & what the results are.

Banned

all things equal biggers allways better. Guess the argument comes mostly from whats more effective 6 41s in a revolver or 15 in a semi auto that have a bit less power or even 10 in my 29 that is easier and lighter to pack. I can probably shoot the 29 10 times as fast as I can shoot 6 out of a smith and definitely faster then a single action and if that doesn't take the fight out of something slam a 15 round 20 mag in it and go back to work. I know this argument is silly and id be the first to say that probably nobody here has had a grizzly attack them but I do know if one did id take my glock 20 or 29 hands down over my 657 or a my two ruger single action 41s. Now for hunting deer bear or pigs the 41 obviously has slight advantage. theres not much that will put more lead and hurt on any animal any faster then a glock 20 unless you want to fan one of my linebaughs. but chances are that second shot is just as likely to hit you as the bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    A magnum caliber being pitted against one that is not, with the former having a tad bigger cal & case capacity, seems to be a no brainer. All things being equal (bullet design, same gun & powder load), let's see who've done this & what the results are.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-28-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Banned

Do you want one or two six plus foot wound channels with a revolver or two or three four foot wound channels?
    I will take something that goes stem to stern.

Boolit Master
    A new member resurrected this thread to ask a specific question about the two rounds. Welcome to the forum Marc3rd !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

Good point
    The thread was silly, but new members are cool

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Marc3rd View Post
    all good data and points. I just have one question.
    a 41 mag and a 100 mm bore is almost identical .5 mm diff.
    the max sami pressure for a 357 and a 41 mag is 35000 psi
    the max sami pressure for a 10 mm auto is 37500 psi. thats an extra 2500 psi.
    if both loaded to max pressure with the same lead, how can a 41 mag pack more punch than a 10 mm??
    Marc3rd,
    Welcome to the forum.

You ask a great question.
    I haven't searched, but if the published data indicates that it's more typical that the 41 can be loaded with a heavier boolit, then that would explain the "More Punch" theory. I would assume a Semi-auto in 10 is more likely to have a limited top end heavy boolit, where as Revolvers don't have that type of limiting factor, but no doubt there is a limit at some point, just not as low as a Semi-auto would have, so one could surmise that it's more likely that the 41 could be loaded with a heavier boolit and at some point, even loaded at a pressure that is 2500psi lower, there will be a point that it will have more punch...of course there are Revolvers in 10...so there's that.

Anyway, as a 41 fan boy, it wouldn't matter if the 10 has bit more punch or not, I'd still prefer a 41.
    that's my 2˘.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 02-28-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    all things equal biggers allways better. Guess the argument comes mostly from whats more effective 6 41s in a revolver or 15 in a semi auto that have a bit less power or even 10 in my 29 that is easier and lighter to pack. I can probably shoot the 29 10 times as fast as I can shoot 6 out of a smith and definitely faster then a single action and if that doesn't take the fight out of something slam a 15 round 20 mag in it and go back to work. I know this argument is silly and id be the first to say that probably nobody here has had a grizzly attack them but I do know if one did id take my glock 20 or 29 hands down over my 657 or a my two ruger single action 41s. Now for hunting deer bear or pigs the 41 obviously has slight advantage. theres not much that will put more lead and hurt on any animal any faster then a glock 20 unless you want to fan one of my linebaughs. but chances are that second shot is just as likely to hit you as the bear.
    I guess the issue evolved to semis vs revs...
    Being a black gun fanboy, got bias with semi-auto vs wheelguns, however, I hate chasing brass, OAL constraints (magazine, feedramp), cycling issues causing FTF/FTE...so apple vs. oranges to me...

Banned

Just go to Buffalo Bore, Underwood, or Double Tap, and you can shine a real bright light on this. Here is Buffalo Bore with specific guns:

HEAVY .41 MAGNUM OUTDOORSMAN
    265 gr. L.W.N. (1,350 fps/M.E. 1,072 ft. lbs.)

➤ 6.5" Ruger
    a. Item #16A - 1379 fps

➤ 4" S&W Mountain Gun

a. Item #16A - 1310 fps

HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
    (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

➤ 1140 fps - Glock model 20 4.6-inch barrel
    ➤ 1175 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5-inch barrel
    ➤ 1201 fps - Para Ordnance 1911 with Nowlin 5-inch barrel

Sorry to dissapoint team 10mm. I like my 10mm, a lot. I just do not fantasize about it.
    Last edited by jmort; 02-28-2019 at 02:28 PM.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    As far as the 10 mm carrying more rounds if 5 41 mags can't stop it i am not even going to try to reload i am going to run as fast as my old fat self can.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast