RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 41 magnum vs 10 mm auto

Boolit Master

Well, being a 10mm guy, I can't go with the Tokarev. (I've got a broomhandle, which is nearly the same thing - same cartridge, just loaded at a lower pressure.)

I'd prefer the 30 Armco, loaded with 224" bullets in sabots. 30 Armco is the 10mm necked down to 308" caliber. This is a larger-boiler-room cartridge than the Tok, and would probably out-perform it. (Though I've never tried it yet...)
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

I'm not knocking 10mm (I proudly own one *SW1076 FBI*), but it's not in the same power class as a .41 Mag.

You can load heavy cast bullets all the way up to 300 grains in 41 mag.

You can't do that in a 10mm.

Boolit Buddy
    sheeesh - I never thought about using the internet to argue with people - I thought that's what wives were for!
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    .41 Mag wheel gun= 6 rounds and reload
    10MM auto pistol, mags vary, but my Glock 20=15+1 up the pipe
    Lotta firepower
    The .41 has a slight ballistic advantage, as noted above. I doubt anything you'd shoot a slug into would be able to tell the difference....
    I think that properly loaded 41 (loads over SAAMI spec; no thanks) has bit more to offer than "slight ballistic advantage" over 10 MM;

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    I think that properly loaded 41 (loads over SAAMI spec; no thanks) has bit more to offer than "slight ballistic advantage" over 10 MM;

Yawn....
    Yer nearly a month late....
    You might want to start a NEW dissention, not bring an old beaten horse back from the dead.

Boolit Master
    I shoot both cartridges. The .41 Remington Magnum is clearly the more powerful of the two cartridges. The 10mm can be loaded to mid-range .41 Remington Magnum levels. However, the .41 Magnum can (and does) drive heavier bullets to higher velocities.

Such is life.

Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    I really like the 10mm--I wish my old agency authorized it for carry. My thoughts on the 41 Mag/10mm comparison is that there is none, really. The 10mm bridges whatever gap exists in the minds of users between the 357 Magnum and 41 Magnum revolver rounds. That is no mean feat for a recoil-operated semi-auto pistol system.

The most-blooded deer rifle in my safe is the 1873 Winchester in 44-40 WCF (mfg. 1897) that has collected many dozens of deer during its service life as a ranch rifle, and at least two black bears that my grandmother saw getting kanked. From its 19" barrel, its 200 grain bullets did and do well to achieve 1250 FPS. My S&W Model 1026 in 10mm can run 200 grain boolits with better sectional density to 1200 FPS without strain. It may not be the equal of the 41 Magnum, but it is no slouch in the game fields either. In deer areas where lead boolits are kosher in CA, the 10mm loaded with Bruce B softpoints has sought out venison with me, so far to no avail. It will happen, though.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Wow, nothing like reviving a two year old thread...

Boolit Master

Since it sounds like you're looking to purchase a revolver for one or the other. . .

. . .and with this being a casting forum. . .

. . .you're going to be better served with a .41.

You won't have to deal with moon clips on a .41, there seem to be more and sexier molds for it (i.e. the Keith 220's), and, as already stated, the round simply has more chutzpah.

I LIKE my 10mm and like it a lot. The notion of an almost .41 holding 15 rounds has definite appeal - especially for someone like a mountain state cop who might have to deal with a drug dealer one minute and a grizzly bear the next.

I figure if you've already got a 10mm auto, there might be something to be said for a wheelie in the same caliber, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a stand-alone revolver so chambered.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a well thought-out response, BigSlug.

The Glock 20 is one fine combination. I can't think of a better carry gun for a game warden or rural-area sheriff's deputy. I also have a very nice S&W Model 657 x 6" that was worked over by Cheshire & Perez prior to my purchase. What a NICE WHEELGUN. It goes with with me to the local condor-cuddling deer zone where unleaded ammo is de rigeur, 180 grain Barnes coppers at 1450 FPS getting the nod. Accurate and flat-shooting as can be to 50 yards.

For a hunting gun, the 41 Mag revos are a more powerful and more flexible option. For social events or mixed business, the 10mm seems a better option, and the Glocks the most available platforms.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting 41 since the 70s and my M57 is 8 3/8". I bought a Marlin 1894 in 41 and it's a great shooter. I never got into the 10mm mindset until recently. Although I don't yet own or shoot this cartridge I am giving it serious consideration. I have a friend with a Delta which would be sweet. Ted Nugent swears by his Glock 10mm and the ammo he markets is reportedly potent stuff. I for one would be hand loading rather than buying factory.

The topic of this thread was revolver vs revolver. 20+ years ago, Ruger made a convertible BlackHawk with two cylinders, 10mm and 38-40. I even have a Guns and Ammo article talking about that gun. 10mm can be warmed up in a stout revolver like the Ruger. Also, the 38-40 can be warmed up (and has been) to 41 performance. When loading for a strong revolver you dont have to worry as much about springs and slide velocity.

I think it comes down to case volume. The 41 has more volume that the 10mm, albeit not by much. Someone mentioned rechambering a revolver for 10mm mag which would close the gap so to speak. I have a Vaquero in 38-40 with a 40 S&W cylinder. I could rechamber for 10mm or 10mm mag. At this point I'm thinking more of getting an additional cylinder and having it chambered in 10mm and keep the 40 S&W cylinder. I would also seriously consider getting the Glock because I like them, but wouldn't shy away from a Delta if a good deal came along. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    My thoughts exactly.... Isn't this the same argument as a 40 v. 45?!?!?!?! Enough already.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banned

I guess i think a bit differnt. I like moon clip guns. There fast to reload. Carrying extra ammo is easy and picking up brass in clips of 6 is nicer then picking them up individualy. I can go to the range with 50 of them loaded and shoot them up and take them home to deal with unclipping them. My thoughts toward power are this. Most here shoot cast. I know i do. Most who shoot cast usuually dont push there loads much over 1200 fps anyway. Most of my 41 mag ammo is loaded with 200-220 grain cast at between a 1000 and 1200 fps. A glock 20 or a smith 610 will easily shoot 200 grain cast bullets at 1200 fps so yes although the 41 is capable of more power at least at my house is seldom loaded that way. Im a revolver guy but will be the first to say that in self defense mag capasity means something. If it didnt police depts would still be using 357 revolvers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I can not see any logic in having a 10mm revolver. The good ammo is no more plentiful than 41 magnum. Plus you have to mess with moon clips.

Banned

I chuckle as ive seen more then once when a question was asked someone kind of rudely suggesting using the search button. Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread. New guys come here all the time that never saw the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post

Banned
    [With respect to velocity] Two .357s come to my mind that could safely leave a 10mm dead with 200 gr. slugs. But the .357 ain't in the runnin', here.

To wit:

FA 353
    RH .357
    Last edited by Gibson; 09-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.

The .357 Mag and 10mm are ballistic twins from equal barrels. Neither is comparable to a .41 Magnum.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned
    The RH or the FA 353 will destroy the 10mm velocity wise. You can load either to unbelievable pressures quite safely.

Chop 'em to equitable length, ~5", and load them up. They are NOT the run of the mill .357.

The 10mm will be in pieces if it tries to run with them vis-a-vis velocity with a 200 gr. projectile.

And I have one inbound, a G20, but no sense in deluding myself. However, I mostly agree (not totally) with good solid .357 mags, but not these animals.
    Last edited by Gibson; 09-22-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Exceeding SAAMI MAP, yes. Staying within SAAMI MAP, they are ballistic twins. I think when 99% of shooters discuss ammunition performance, even handloads, the discussion is held to SAAMI MAP.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned
    99% of shooters were not at issue. I specifically posted that those two firearms popped into my mind, as to "357s" that can take extreme pressure.

My post CLEARLY states the two firearms I am discussing. Both are nominally .357 magnums and both are exceedingly overbuilt.

SAAMI MAP is meaningless when discussing the FA 353, it's downright silly. Anyone who discusses the FA 353 as if it is imperative to talk only in terms of SAAMI then they are just blowing smoke, for internet or print. They de facto know that it is silly.

However, both handguns were available commercially.

[Edit: The FA 353 will outrun the cartridge; the RH is not too far behind. The guns are both built to SAFELY achieve FAR greater pressures than SAAMI lists, for say a 586/686. The End.]
    Last edited by Gibson; 09-23-2012 at 12:46 AM.

You miss the entire point. I'm done talking to a brick wall.

Live generously.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast