RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 Legend Woes

Boolit Buddy

350 Legend Woes

Purchased a set of Lee Dies as they were available. Sized brass will not drop into case length gauge. The 3 that I sized all stop about the same place. Factory new rounds drop right in.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Are you using a press that cams over ? If so double check that you have set the die to the highest point in the stroke not full stop of the handle.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

But how does it fit your rifle chamber?

I have never bought or used a case gauge and see absolutely no purpose in my relaoding process for one. IIRC, a case gauge is on the minimum SAAMI spec to assure that the ammo will fit all SAAMI chambers. If you are a commercial reloader or reloading for a firearm not in hand, then a case gauge will assure that the ammo will fit the firearm not in your possession.

I have loaded for many firearms. I set up the dies based upon the cartridge fit for minimal headspace (shouldered cases) to prolong brass life. For straightwall and pistol brass, I load for the chamber to assure it will plunk. I do not oversize my cases, as it will shorten case life, sometimes signicantly. I do not screw my dies down to touch the shellholder, unless my measurements require it for proper fit.

I am fairly certain that some of my reloaded ammo would not fit a case gauge and I could care less. It has always functioned 100% reliably in my firearms, which is all that I require.

Boolit Master

Factory new rounds sometimes are blown out several thousandths in width and length. If you ever measure a factory new cartridge or case and a fired cased you might be surprised in the difference in measurements (how much smaller the new case was). A resizing die, even a small base die will never bring that case back to factory new size(or possibly only on the extremely rare occasion with tight, out of spec die).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Are you using a press that cams over ? If so double check that you have set the die to the highest point in the stroke not full stop of the handle.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
    What he said. Your die probably isn’t adjusted properly.

Boolit Buddy
    Die is adjusted properly. I have never used a case length gauge other than an 8mm mauser that I purchased and started loading for over 30 years ago. I have read about terrors this 9mm long cartridge brings, so I purchased a gauge.

These rounds were fired out of a factory Ruger Ar. They were factory loaded rounds. The resized brass falls right in the chamber of the Ar as well as the bolt gun. Gauge will become a trotline weight. Thanks for the replies

Boolit Master

Some of these case gauges are made to the absolute minimum specs.

I have a Wilson case gauge for 9mm Luger that I thought would great to check reloads, because I load for half-dozen 9mm pistols. It was really an aggravation, as loaded rounds passed the "plunk" test with a factory barrel would not go more than 3/4 of the way into the case gauge.

When loading cast bullets sized to .356" or .357", the Wilson gauge is useless for me. Jacketed .355" bullets work better in it.

I now use an old 9mm barrel that was replaced by new one as my case gauge.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    Die is adjusted properly. I have never used a case length gauge other than an 8mm mauser that I purchased and started loading for over 30 years ago. I have read about terrors this 9mm long cartridge brings, so I purchased a gauge.

These rounds were fired out of a factory Ruger Ar. They were factory loaded rounds. The resized brass falls right in the chamber of the Ar as well as the bolt gun. Gauge will become a trotline weight. Thanks for the replies
    If the die were sizing properly they would drop right in. If you can’t get it to work, call Lee. Either you have a bad die or it’s not set up correctly. I have two 357max dies that size the cases .003” difference. Both fit the gun, but one shoots better than the other one.

You may need to get a small base die that sizes the head of the case. I don't think lee makes one. But RCBS does.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    You may need to get a small base die that sizes the head of the case. I don't think lee makes one. But RCBS does.

ACC
    It falls into the chamber of both rugers with the ever so slightest nudge. Id imainge it jumps in there with a slug loaded.

Boolit Buddy
    It falls into the chamber of both rugers with the ever so slightest nudge. Id imainge it jumps in there with a slug loaded.
    I was wrong. With very little fouling in the chamber she don't function. I guess that is on me for trusting LEE to anything again.
    . Been burned with molds and now their Dies are trash.

Before anyone gets Butt-Hurt. I spoke to Lee. They want me to send the Die back to them. I am going to deposit it into the nearest Garbage receptical. I got a Hornady die set. Yes it cost more money, but damned if it isn't correct the first time. Everything I own from LEE is now dumpster fodder with the exception of an APP press. I modified it to size slugs as fast as I can cram them into it.

First pic is sized in LEE trash.
    Second Pic is in a Hornady. BOTH ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FULL LENGTH SIZERS. Lee is NOT.

Loaded rounds now function flawlessly.

Did I mention that LEE produces JUNK?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Case gauges have their place. I use a Hornady case gauge for 300BO, I found 2 cases that wouldn't seat in the gauge after loading b/c I think the shoulder got just a little bit buckled. I pulled the bullets, ran them through the sizer with the decapping pin removed, reassembled the rounds and they went into the gauge no problem..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Case gauges have their place. I use a Hornady case gauge for 300BO, I found 2 cases that wouldn't seat in the gauge after loading b/c I think the shoulder got just a little bit buckled. I pulled the bullets, ran them through the sizer with the decapping pin removed, reassembled the rounds and they went into the gauge no problem..
    Apparently my 2 rugers are rather tight. Tighter than the Lee die will size them.

Geez Elp, trash all Lee stuff! Didn’t Lee offer to have you return it? You made the decision to do something else. If you reload long enough, with enough different calibers, you may find that your new RCBS, Lyman, Hornady dies are not quite right. Happens! Ask me how I know. But just toss them all in the trash, that fixes it? I have lots of Lee dies and other items, love their old round hand primer. Have a Lyman black Orange crusher, RCBS powder measure and electronic scale, Pacific/ Hornady balance scale and powder measure. I’ve had things I didn’t care for, sold them and got something different, mostly second hand. Live and learn. But glad you got your problem solved.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Geez Elp, trash all Lee stuff! Didn’t Lee offer to have you return it? You made the decision to do something else. If you reload long enough, with enough different calibers, you may find that your new RCBS, Lyman, Hornady dies are not quite right. Happens! Ask me how I know. But just toss them all in the trash, that fixes it? I have lots of Lee dies and other items, love their old round hand primer. Have a Lyman black Orange crusher, RCBS powder measure and electronic scale, Pacific/ Hornady balance scale and powder measure. I’ve had things I didn’t care for, sold them and got something different, mostly second hand. Live and learn. But glad you got your problem solved.
    Yes Sir. Into the Dumpster it goes. I have had smallish problems with different brands. The Lion's share of Issues have Been with Big red Lee.

I started Handloading 35 years ago. I have been around the block a couple times.

I had a Lee Safety Scale that was Off years ago. I since ALWAYS verify with 2 scales.

I was gifted a Lee progressive 30 years ago. Nice concept. Poor execution with the plastic bushings on the rod that rotated everything.

I have had a slew of lee molds. The two bangers are dixie cup trash....lightly constructed. I have a 5 hole that I still use. One cavity was junk right out of the box....thus making it a 5 holer.

Hell, they used to be a Forum on this website. "Leementing a mould" on account of you gotta work on them the day you get them.

With these Dies, they guy told me they were within spec before I could articulate my problem. They would however be happy to adjust the die to fit my needs.
    I could have taken the die or the shell holder to a Belt sander and fixed the problem. Why bother? I wouldnt waste the fuel to peddle a bicycle to the post office to return them.

I am just over this whole Lee Mess.
    Last edited by Elpatoloco; 12-10-2023 at 02:06 PM.

Boolit Master

Yes Sir. Into the Dumpster it goes. I have had smallish problems with different brands. The Lion's share of Issues have Been with Big red Lee.

I started Handloading 35 years ago. I have been around the block a couple times.

I had a Lee Safety Scale that was Off years ago. I since ALWAYS verify with 2 scales.

I was gifted a Lee progressive 30 years ago. Nice concept. Poor execution with the plastic bushings on the rod that rotated everything.

I have had a slew of lee molds. The two bangers are dixie cup trash....lightly constructed. I have a 5 hole that I still use. One cavity was junk right out of the box....thus making it a 5 holer.

Hell, they used to be a Forum on this website. "Leementing a mould" on account of you gotta work on them the day you get them.

With these Dies, they guy told me they were within spec before I could articulate my problem. They would however be happy to adjust the die to fit my needs.
    I could have taken the die or the shell holder to a Belt sander and fixed the problem. Why bother? I wouldnt waste the fuel to peddle a bicycle to the post office to return them.

I am just over this whole Lee Mess.
    Just send all of your LEE stuff to me! I'll gladly pay for the shipping costs+. I use it to get new loaders into the hobby. I actually prefer LEE dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Just send all of your LEE stuff to me! I'll gladly pay for the shipping costs+. I use it to get new loaders into the hobby. I actually prefer LEE dies.
    Why would you even entertain getting new loaders into the sport with equipment that Is Junk. I am not claiming that ALL LEE stuff is junk. I am claiming that I have had many items that are complete Junk from Lee. It would be hap hazard of me to send you dies that I know are garbage. The Bullet molds are in a pile in my shop in the next town over. I may very well send them to you if you want them. P.M. me your address. I damn sure put my money where my mouth is.

I love my Lee reloading equipment, you should have taken them up on sending the die back. They would have taken care of you, they would have also seen firsthand what the issue was and learned/corrected it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I love my Lee reloading equipment, you should have taken them up on sending the die back. They would have taken care of you, they would have also seen firsthand what the issue was and learned/corrected it.
    Ya I have been down this road with them myself. You have to pay for the shipping and the old man claims NOTHING IS WRONG. Get him to check it on the phone and he gets mad and claims he will send another one. I have done it several times and I have said NO more. I loose money on the shipping and they will not do anything about it. I have the same love hate relationship with Lee reloading as the rest of the world. When will we learn?
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    It has been 3 days since I responded to your post. I did not get a P.M. with an address to send the fine quality LEE molds. The molds are on the curb for the garbage man to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast