Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: .256 Newton Ruger No. 1

Boolit Master

.256 Newton Ruger No. 1

Saw a Ruger No. 1 in a gunshop today that was listed as .256 Newton. It looked like it was factory produced, not a rebarrel/rechamber. Did Ruger ever make a No. 1 in .256 Newton?

Can the brass be made from something inexpensive? Did a quick search and found some that was recently made at about $2.00 per case. I seem to remember that Newton brass had a special head diameter.

Any other information about this?

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a rebarrel where the gunsmith took pride in his work.

Cases can be made from .30-06; necked down, shortened, and since the case length is 2.44", probably have to neck turn also.

Hope this helps,

Robert.

Boolit Master

My friend has an old .256 Newton I saw midway had brass a while back I think but don't remember how much per case. I have a lot of .270 brass so that's what I was going to use them to form .256 cases. Sounds like a nice rifle. FB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    Saw a Ruger No. 1 in a gunshop today that was listed as .256 Newton. It looked like it was factory produced, not a rebarrel/rechamber. Did Ruger ever make a No. 1 in .256 Newton?

Can the brass be made from something inexpensive? Did a quick search and found some that was recently made at about $2.00 per case. I seem to remember that Newton brass had a special head diameter.

Any other information about this?
    I sent you a PM. Someone I know is interested if you can get me the contact information. Thanks.
    LC

Boolit Mold
    I picked up 20 or so rounds .30-06, made into .256 Newton, so the small box says they were in, but I'll sell them for $20 plus priority mail flat rate small box plus delivery comfirmation. Let me know and I'll get an accurate count of what I have.

Boolit Buddy
    Never say never with #1's. Those who were Friends of Bill (Ruger) ended up with some unusual factory rifles. There are some serious Ruger collectors out there that'd love to get a look at that rifle--it might be a factory barrel.

I think it was the Sierra manual that said the .256 Newton is about the only caliber that started out as a factory round that died and then attained "wildcat" status (6.5-06). While there is a slight difference in shoulder angle I think, I woud think 25-06 or .270 would be the easiest to form into .256 Newton.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmm I would be intrested in this one myself !

Already have a 6.5-06 on a old Mauser action .

But a #1B in a 256 Newton just might be very very intresting .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

No difference in case head diameter between the .256 and 30-06. The larger Newtons had heads of .523, but the .256 was based on the standard .470 head size.

madsenshooter, nice catch, I didn't see the OP's mentioning of case head size, but yes, the .256 Newton is really just a 6.5-06. According to the Sierra manual, introduced in 1913. Sierra data shows that they used reformed .25-06 brass for their 6.5-06.
    I have a 6.5x257Roberts barrel that I used to have on a Remington 700 that I have given thought to rechambering to a 6.5-06. The .257 Roberts cases were easily necked up by running them into the 6.5 die. Using the 25-06 brass to form the .256 Newton should be just as easy.

256 Newton

Newton Reloading Data

If you need to know anything about .256, .30, .35, and .40 Newton cartridge reloading, visit www.NewtonArmsCompany.com It is an online publicatin/article with notes, pictures, diagrams, reload data and historical information. Also, check out wwwSuncoastGunClub.com for a step by step on case forming the .256 newton and everything!

Moderator Emeritus

256 Newton is the same as person as Newton Arms Company so take the listing above as an advertisement rather than a 3rd party posting. He previously posted a blatant advertisement for his company so this is simply a bit more veiled effort.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/