WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peep sight on Puma 92

Boolit Master
    I have an FP 94/36 waiting to be installed on my Rossi.

I recently saw one from XS Sights that looked compact and interesting. The one from Steves guns is also nice looking and compact, though I wonder how accurate it is if there is any play in the bolt...?

A bolt peep is just as accurate as any other - which is a LOT more accurate than most shooters are able to tell the difference between.

If an M92 rifle has a bolt which can be moved when in battery, that rifle has other problems. Even my 1907 vintage Model 92's bolt has no discernable play.

BTW - Skinner now makes their LoPro peep sight with a 6-48 stem, making it a snap to either D/T the Rossi/Puma bolt top 6-48 on the bolt C/L atop the rear half of it, or file the bolt safety ears & bottom lug off before D/T the center of the safety plud 6-48 for the sight.

Every LoPro I've installed on an M92 zeroed within 5 shots, since it mounts directly above the FP, which is inline with the bore C/L.
    On ONE of the rifles using the LoPro, the front sight required less than 1/16" side movement to adjust for windage zero - the other rifles were good to go as is.

Last edited by pietro; 09-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I think a little good epoxy might do the trick with a Williams.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    I want peep sight on a puma 92. WHAT WILL WORK!
    I ordered a Skinner barrel mount aperture sight after looking thru the sights on a shooting pal's new Ruger 9mm carbine. He also gave me a very simple solution to fitting the sight into the dovetail on the barrel. There is actually no need for any safe sided triangular file. Just sand off the bottom surface of the dovetail. As you sand away, the dovetailed area becomes smaller. i started out using a file but caved in and got out my Makita orbital sander. Made short work of it so take it easy. It works great. Better if you take out the aperture and just use the big hole as a ghost ring. I know this is an older thread but people looking for advice on how to do something don't really care about how old a thread is-doesn't make any difference really.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skinner Sight on Puma.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	226683

Here's the scoop on Steve's offerings: https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...nrrpaod9utg5i3

Boolit Master
    For hunting go to the Williams Peep mounted on the action (thats if you can drill and tap the rossi action ok) I have one on a Browniig 348 and also on a Winchester 94.
    Have Soule style tang sight on my 1876 and a sharps - they are strictly target sights tho. A tang sight will interfere with your hand grip if you get to hurrying shots.

Boolit Master
    Steve'sGunz site - look in store, click on picture - $59.95 for sight that fits into Safety hole

My Rossi M-92:

I mounted a Williams 5D receiver sight made for the Winchester 94AE (angle-eject, with factory mounting atop the rear receiver sidewalls).

I D/T'd a single 6-48 hole atop each receiver sidewall, then removed/plugged the bolt top lawyer safety so the bolt could pass at the lowest peep position (my self-made plug clears the peepsight by 1/16").

The rifle zeroed in 5 shots (100yds) using the issue front sight.

The receiver was the HARDEST receiver I've ever D/T'd.

Last edited by pietro; 09-06-2018 at 02:44 PM.

No pics but I went the ersatz route years ago on one by mounting a Williams 5D on the Right rear of the receiver and reversing the windage slide on top. It worked great and I concur on the hardness of the receiver!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If the Puma rear sight is anything like the buckhorn on the Rossi 92 I wish anyone luck.
    I could never get that sight to work for me so went with Marbles Tang.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

My rifles are Marlins. I use factory open sights on my 32-20 but I use Williams receiver sights on my 39A and my 357 cowboy, with Lyman 17 front sights. My brother has a Rossi 92 in 357 and one of the matches we shoot is CLAS, and under CLAS rules the sights have to be manufactured for that rifle. Rossi's are D & T for tang sights, but not receiver sights, so thats what we fitted to his rifle. A marbles tang at the rear and a Lyman 17 at the front. For precision type shooting, like 5 shots in 2 minutes, it works great, but for rapid fire lever action matches where we shoot 5 shots in 15 seconds he struggles a bit because the tang sight will flip back under recoil and he has to flick it forward after every shot. With the tang sight on a 24" barreled rifle you get about 30" of sight radius.
    If this is a hunting rifle and it has the butt ugly wingnut on the bolt, I'd go with the StevezGunz replacement peep on the bolt, set for the range I like and be happy with that, but for competition shooting at ranges from 40 yds to 200 yds, like my brother and I do, I would go with something that gives lots of repeatable adjustments.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I had a gunsmith drill and tap for a Marbles tang sight. Works awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12