Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep sight on Puma 92

Peep sight on Puma 92

What do you guys think is best? I am a Marlin user first, I've had a Win 94 in 356 w/ a peep loved it but lost in a house fire. On my marlins I use a receiver peep but don't know what works on the 92 action. I think the Skinner sights that mount on the barrel may be too far forward. The tang sights seem to be an option.

OPINIONS Please.

Thank you Rod

Boolit Master
    I have two Puma 92s with Williams receiver sights and one other with a Taurus tang sight and all three shoot very well.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Grand Master

I just put a Williams receiver peep on a Rossi 44 mag today. The sight required drilling and tapping tow 6-48 holes. The sight works just fine althought it is marked 94-336. I will try an post pictures tomorrow. This in combination with a folding rear sight makes a nice hunting rig for the 44 mag and is for some folks a little easier to use than a tang sight, not to mention a whole lot cheaper. The tang sights can be installed on the Rossi's and will require drilling and tapping the front screw. The only problem i have found with the Rossi and a tang sight is that the tangs are sometimes a little off orund and the sight cants and either has to bo lapped in or shimmed to stand straight.

I do not recomment a peep on the barrel as then you lose all optical advantage of a self centering peep. Either a tang or the 94 Williams can be used as a ghost ring if needed. The advantage to the Williams is that it is more sturdy than a tang and there is no chance of firing with it partly folded on a follow up shot. If you can remember to keep the staff straight the tang is OK too. When you put the Williams on the Rossi remember to keep both screws to the front of the locking lug cut outs and debur the screw holes if you drill through. I drill to depth and then use a bottoming tap.

Hey Sarge, how do the receiver sights mount on the puma? Drill and tap the side of receiver?

Thanks, Rod Reichert
    SGT US Army

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I just put a Williams receiver peep on a Rossi 44 mag today. The sight required drilling and tapping tow 6-48 holes. The sight works just fine althought it is marked 94-336. I will try an post pictures tomorrow. This in combination with a folding rear sight makes a nice hunting rig for the 44 mag and is for some folks a little easier to use than a tang sight, not to mention a whole lot cheaper. The tang sights can be installed on the Rossi's and will require drilling and tapping the front screw. The only problem i have found with the Rossi and a tang sight is that the tangs are sometimes a little off orund and the sight cants and either has to bo lapped in or shimmed to stand straight.

I do not recomment a peep on the barrel as then you lose all optical advantage of a self centering peep. Either a tang or the 94 Williams can be used as a ghost ring if needed. The advantage to the Williams is that it is more sturdy than a tang and there is no chance of firing with it partly folded on a follow up shot. If you can remember to keep the staff straight the tang is OK too. When you put the Williams on the Rossi remember to keep both screws to the front of the locking lug cut outs and debur the screw holes if you drill through. I drill to depth and then use a bottoming tap.
    Jim,

Back in the 80's I bought a new blued Puma 357. I too mounted a Williams sight on it. I had bought brand new drills and taps from Brownells at that same time. I will tell you, to date that has been among some of the hardest steel on a firearm I have ever drilled an tapped. Of course the usual's are like the Jap rifles for example and the Springfield surface hardening is hard to get through, but we know ways for that those huh Jim. I'm asking was this Puma you just done hard or even slightly hard?

Thanks
    Joe

KCSO I agree that the Skinner type sights that replace the buckhorn standard sight are to far forward. I grew up shooting target 22 LR and the peep was touching my brow. A williams peep on a Win or Marlin is a good compromise. I Have never shot with a tang sight. It seems to compromise the grip on some rifles. I want to know about the Rossi Puma 92 with tang sights. I won't be shooting reduced loads, this is my bear protection gun I carry in Alaska on my boat and on the beach fishing.

Fishing Rod

Boolit Master

for KCSO

I hope this isn't a hijack'
    Why do you advise keeping the mounting holes for a receiver sight on the Rossi M92 to be located forward of the locking bolt raceways?
    This puts the eye piece too far forward, much like the bbl mounted sights.
    Thanks for your input.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

No Hijack this is what I want DISCUSSION

I want peep sight on a puma 92. WHAT WILL WORK!

Boolit Bub
    I went with a Marble's Tang sight on my Short Rifle, and a Marble's Bullseye on my little 16" barreled gun.

Super Moderator

...............Also see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=69585

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I did not get on with the buckhorn sights on my 24" octagonal barrel Rossi .357 mag. I fitted a Skinner front blade and dovetail mounted peep and found it worked just fine , certainly a lot more accurate than the factory buckhorns .

About 6 months ago I fitted a Marbles folding rear sight and a Lyman Tang sight . The Tang sight required shimming to adjust windage which was easy enough . The Tang sight has improved my on target accuracy and consistency no end and out hunting it has been nothing short of a revelation . I am picking up a sight picture quicker than I thought possible and instinctive is the only word I can come up with to describe running shots at game .

When I bought the Lyman Tang sight I was a bit short of cash and impatient . If I had my time again I would have bought a Marbles Tang sight for it's windage adjustment . I would not have needed to use shims . My Rossi was drilled and tapped from the factory for a Tang sight and I had to buy the correct replacement Tang screw .

I have a Williams FP on my Marlin 1894 .44 mag , great sight but I do prefer the Rossi , it just handles better for me

regards Jacko

Boolit Master
    My 92Puma had the safety. I took it off and made a replacement that I drilled and tapped 10/32 If I remember. Took the threaded part of a 10/32 bolt and brazed on a round piece of steel with a hole and put a jam nut on it and put the parts back where the safety was. You have to use the front sight for windage but I didn't have to move mine. The rear is adjustable in half turns for elevation and it seems to be fine enough. Any way, if you have a lathe, it is a simple project

Boolit Buddy
    Disagree with KSCO, I have Skinner barrel mounted peeps on 3 rifles and they center the front sight just as well as a rear mounted peep. Dr. Skinner even made them with longer bases which brought them back to right in front of the action. I changed out the peep assembly with a 1/2 Lyman which makes for a darker thicker ring. They are wayyyy faster to pull up and shoot than with a tang mounted sight especially if it is folded down.

[I want peep sight on a puma 92. WHAT WILL WORK! ]

A Williams 5D-94AE or FP-94AE, a top-mounted sight which requires that 2 holes be D/T'd in the top of the receiver side rails/walls ILO on the left side as for a side-mount peep:

Or, if your M92 has the bolt safety:

I made the bolt peep from a Skinner Lo-Pro, but one ready-made can be purchased from www.stevesgunz.com

Last edited by pietro; 12-13-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    I looked all over http://www.stevesgunz.com/ site and couldn't find the safety replacement peep sight listed. Do you have to call on the phone to order one? Do you know what the price of it was?

Here's a link to a thread on Leverguns .com

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=22047

regards Jacko

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    I have TANG sights & RECEIVER sights on lever guns & I am hard pressed to say which is best or faster for me. They both do the job very nicely. When I buy a lever action I install whichever sight it is drilled & tapped for as fast as I can get one.
    As far as tang sights are concerned I prefer the Marbles tang sight with the windage adjustment over the Lyman.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Where did you find a dovetail mounted peep sight for the Puma lever gun?
    I need one.
    Thanks
    Oliver Holder

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    snapthecat, try stevesgunz.com, there may be something there you like.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast