Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: rcbs 44-225 or 240 swc gc in 44 mag rifle

Boolit Buddy

rcbs 44-225 or 240 swc gc in 44 mag rifle

Does anybody shoot the RCBS 225 grain semi-wad cutter in a rifle? I have a 16" trapper and was wondering what kind of velocity I could expect and what loads.

What about the RCBS 240 SWC w/GC in a rifle?

The lightest cast I am shooting now is a 260 but really don't think I need that much for messing around and small deer.

I have shot the RCBS 44-245, the Lyman 429421, the Lyman 429244 ( very similar to the RCBS 240 you mentioned), the Lyman 429415 (215 gr), and the Speer 210 gr Gold Dot hp through my Winchester 94 Trails End with good results. They all feed just fine, and shoot well. My go to load for hunting has been the Lyman 429244, but it could be just as well any of the others, as I doubt the average deer would know the difference. Accuracy has been pretty good with all of those. I just mounted a scope on the rifle, but have been getting 2", and sometimes less, (sometimes larger too) groups at 100 yds with the receiver sights.

Banned
    My marlin 1894 eats those RCBS 240 SWC GC like butter and really pounds the hell out of Feral hogs. I just wish it were not a GC mould

Chaos

Boolit Buddy
    Chaos

What load are you using and do you have any idea the velocity you're getting?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 30hrrtt View Post
    Does anybody shoot the RCBS 225 grain semi-wad cutter in a rifle? I have a 16" trapper and was wondering what kind of velocity I could expect and what loads.

What about the RCBS 240 SWC w/GC in a rifle?

The lightest cast I am shooting now is a 260 but really don't think I need that much for messing around and small deer.
    The most accurate load I ever fired in my 10" Ruger was the RCBS 225 GC (232 with my alloy) over 20 grs of SR 4759 for around 1350 fps. That load would stay on a paper plate at 150 yds and shot 1.5" at 25 yds. It's only moderate in recoil from a sixgun, and can be shot in comfort all day without leading. I could've pushed it faster but with that accuracy....why? Never fired one from a rifle but would be interested in my recipe's performance from someone who does....Dennis

Banned

the swcgc feeds perfectly in my marlins and is the most accurate bullet ive found in the 44p.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 30hrrtt View Post
    Chaos

What load are you using and do you have any idea the velocity you're getting?

Dan
    Starline Brass, WLP primer and a near full dose of Win 296. No Idea on velocity as I dont own a Chrony. This load works very well out of the Marlin as well as my Ruger Handguns.