Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel LEADING

I bought a punch set that included a 1/8" punch. I knocked out all of the parts with that and one in .45
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    Ghostail... the symptoms you describe tell the story of a lube that's not doing its job. That long barrel probably has something to do with it. But the SPG is not that good of a product, either. I switched from SPG and am using Glenn Larsen's (LAR45) 50/50 beeswax and alox now with complete satisfaction. I shoot a .45-70 with a 32 in. bbl. and get NO leading since switching to Glenn's lube. Give a look at www.lsstuff.com/lube Glenn's stuff works and is very reasonably priced. It's better than any commercial lube I've ever used before. If the 50/50 still doesn't make the trip you can blend in some of his black powder or carnauba lube into it easily enough. Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus

Bore leading/Bore pigs

omgb, The bore pigs are a great idea. I had come up with a slightly different idea for making them.
    My plan was to have a section of wool felt in front of the brush and a disc of neoprene behind the brush. The wool felt was to carry the cleaning fluid, the brush would then scour the fouling and the neoprene would squeegee the barrel in one go. A jag could be modified to hold a patch as the bore pig was pushed through.

They would take some engineering but could be done. It is just a little beyond my abilities.

John.

Boolit Mold
    lovedogs
    I will try Glenn larsen's (LAR45) after I try white lightening. But I think some of the problem is getting (any) lube down to the last 2-4 inches, more or less I'm running out of gas. Thats why I was wondering if there was a bullet that carried more lube ( having a bigger gas tank). Yes,there is maybe a lube that works more efficently than others (like driving a four cylinder vs. v8) and that is why I'm willing to try different lubes, but it can become an expensive search. Thanks for your ideas.

Boolit Mold
    I don't know if a bore pig will bypass the fact that I just don't have enough lube in the last 2-4 inches, but I will try it and see if it will cut out the search for a better lubes.

goast tail : one other thing you might try is to season the barrel .If you degrease and then wipe dry you might need to do this .I put a dollop of lube on a patch and then mop the bore a few times . I then put lube on the bullet tips so it is on the bore before the bullet hits it I do this with 6 rounds and any leading issues dissapear. when cleaning I just use water . or at times windex with vinager diluted 4-1 and then dry and wipe with ballisto; . this doesnt change poi on the first round if you run 1 dry patch down bore before firing . I shoot my rifle almost daily so dont need to clean to bare metal every time like a lot do ,but if I do clean that deep I season the bore the next time..........Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Master

More lube

Type in "Big Lube Bullets" on e-bay and see what comes up. I use them but don't shoot over 200 yards, but it might help your problem. They sure hold more lube. There is a 385 grain and a 500 grain version out there. Never used the 500 grainer myself, never felt the need.

Boolit Buddy
    I for one do believe that most often the issue is not the amount of lube, but the surface of lube in contact with the bore. Deep GG's and lots of lube won't help you, as most of the lube will still be on the bullet when it exists the barrel. Don't believe me? Just fire a few rounds over your chrony and check the skyscreens... Lube splatter everywhere. Most bullets will hold more than enough lube for several shots, but as only a small percentage is in contact with the bore, it is completely useless.
    Forme, it rather is a fouling problem - and you still haven't told us what your between-shots routine is, very important too.
    Dressing the bore with lube might make your problem disappear completely - or shortening your barrel...

The funny thing about WL lube is that it requires so little to do the job. Dan even tried plain, grooveless bullets dipped in WL and supposedly it worked without leading. I've never tried it but have no reason to doubt his results as incredible as they seems.

I do know however, that all of my 45 cal bullets work equally well and do not lead when using WL. Lyman deep square grooves or LBT shallow radiused grooves, they work equally well. Any way, that's my experience. I know I'm a happy camper and that's all I need.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Mold
    I drink alot of water while shooting and blow 4-6 deep slow breathes through the blow tube. 4-6 breathes depending on the humidity here in San Diego and I can see the amount of condensation going through the tube. I try not to get any condensation in the barrel. I do see lube hit the chrony and skyscreen especially after shooting lube cookies, but have not shot them enough to know for sure if lube cookies solves the problem with leading and I would rather not have to. I have not tried dressing the bore with lube, its worth a try. I have white lightening on order, so we will see.

Boolit Grand Master

Drill the holes first, with the pad sandwitched between two pieces of wood. Then punch out around the hole.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12