WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 416 Remington Magnum on 1917 action

Boolit Mold

416 Remington Magnum on 1917 action

I bought this rifle in a package deal, along with a Ruger 96 in 17HMR. I don't know what kind of barrel it has, but I assume it's a good one. I don't think this is a caliber that a guy could whomp up in his home machine shop, so I'm thinking it was made the right way by a company that knows what it's doing. The rifle stock is walnut and a little short for me, but it looks nice. It's got an ebony forend tip, and carved oak leaves where you would ordinarily expect to see checkering. The action is glass bedded into the stock.

The rifle cocks when the bolt is lifted, and it has the controlled round feed style of extractor. I loaded the magazine with 8mm Rem Mag rounds, and was able to get 4 of them in without any trouble. The front sight is a gold bead that I'll have to replace, and the rear sight is the express style, with a fixed 100 yd sight, and 200 yd and 300 yd flip up sights. A nice inverted muzzle crown and integral muzzle break finishes the barrel out. I think someone put some money into building this rifle up.

I don't have any ammo for the rifle, but I think I can find what I need to put some ammo together. At this point I like the rifle, but I haven't shot it yet. Bloody noses and fat lips would probably do a lot to influence me in the other direction.

Boolit Master
    Depending on the weight, it probably won't be nearly as bad as you think. My .416 gets your attention, but hasn't bloodied anyones nose....Yet. Welcome to the forum!

Boolit Master
    AKRAY,

If you like real rifles, and by the way real rifles start at .375 and get bigger, you will love your .416. What's not to like about 400 grain bullets at 2400 FPS. My .416 is a Rigby on an Enfield action. I've never shot head of game with it, but do have plans on taking it to Alaska to try it on a big bear. A word of caution, once you start shooting it you will be trying to figure out where you can go shoot something so big or tough that you can justify using it.

Enjoy.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I have found favor with two boolits in the 416. One is an NEI 400gn DD/GC and the other is the RCBS 350gn FNGC.
    From the 416 Rem I get excellent performance with the 400 NEI at 2400 fps velocity.
    It a lot of gun for sure. I have now sold the 416 and settled on a custom Browning B-78 in 405 Winchester. I get 2000 fps from the 405 with the same NEI 400gn boolit.
    I set a 3/8"thick piece of angle iron at 100 yards and hit it with the 405/400/2000fps and it drilled a perfect round hole through without bending the steel. I questioned, what more do I need for my purpose? The 405 has now accounted for three bull moose and I consider it about perfect for such. The recoil difference between the two 405/400/2000fps and 416/400/2400fps is substantial to say the least.
    Enjoy your big gun! I am a way big fan of big gun conversions on the p-17 actions.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Mold
    I live in interior Alaska and I'm having trouble thinking of an animal that would be big enough to use this 416 Remington Magnum on. I guess a big moose could be big enough. I've been wanting a big rifle though, on the order of a 458 Winchester Magnum, and this one came along at a bargain price. I'll try it and if it shows any promise I'll keep it. It's not very practical for my situation but it should be fun. If nothing else, it should make a pretty good grizzly bear or bison rifle.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I have a 416 Rem built on a P-14 myself,, pac nor bbl and a timney trigger setting in a B&C stock with a 2-7 on top. It is a sweet round in my preferred action for these rounds.
    You can use the RCBS 416-350 over a nice dose of powder and have a mild load or go on up to whatever you can handle, but the beauty of cast is the ability to tone down these critters for general purpose use.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    I have a 458 on a 1917, trade ya?

Boolit Master
    Dan have you sized the RCBS 413-350 down to use in your 405? I have a Ruger No. 1 in 450-400 and have thought that would be a good boolit for it if it will size down that much.

Boolit Master
    Yes I have. I size it to 415" and it shoots equally as well as the NEI 400DD.
    Oh looking back at your post I see maybe not.
    Your question is do I size down the RCBS 413/350. Do you mean the 416/350?
    What is the groove diameter of your 450/400?
    My 405 is .4125" and I have found that sizing to .415" works best in my rifle.
    It now has three moose to its credit and seems well suited to the job.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Mold
    Hi Dan. I know who you are, and you'd know me by sight if not name. I used to share tables with my father in law Stew. Years ago he had a nice collection of Steven's Boys rifles, and he would display them on a big display board that he made. I don't want to trade right now, but I'll be happy to bring this rifle to the next show where I have a table and show it to you.

Boolit Master
    Dan guess I should keep the reading glasses close. My ruger measures .410.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    I have a 416 Rem built on a P-14 myself,, pac nor bbl and a timney trigger setting in a B&C stock with a 2-7 on top. It is a sweet round in my preferred action for these rounds. You can use the RCBS 416-350 over a nice dose of powder and have a mild load or go on up to whatever you can handle, but the beauty of cast is the ability to tone down these critters for general purpose use.
    I have a rifle similar to yours; it was my first custom rifle, built for me over 20 years ago by a local gunsmith, and I told him to go with a blind magazine. Now, I wish I'd have had him go with a detachable-magazine setup. What configuration do you have? With mine, I can only get two rounds in the magazine and can close the chamber on a third if I push down on the two rounds. Feeding has never been reliable. I'd really like to make this gun feed *RELIABLY.* May I ask who did your work?Thanks.Russ

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Sounds like it was set up as an Alaska brown bear or more likely Africa rifle. Great cartridge by the way! I've noticed that many of the African rifle stocks (as preferred by PHs, etc.) do have slimmer, sometimes shorter dimensions.

For certain I'd gather up some factory 350 or 400 grain ammo to see how it acts- both feeding out of the mag and for accuracy. If you are confident of the accuracy potential with the chamber and barrel, then go straight to reloading for it.

The only downside I see to your rifle is the porting. After all they are not a bench gun with full house loads and the trigger and bench time needed with them can be mitigated with a dense extra pad at the bench. Muzzle blast via the porting is not conducive to good shooting. The recoil felt the few times shooting in the field or hunting is of little consequence but the porting is never good for your shooting or hearing or the hearing of others no matter where.