MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Cavity or 6 Cavity

Boolit Bub

2 Cavity or 6 Cavity

I am looking at casting 1500 to 2000 .38 and 9MM each per year. Would I be better off with 2 cavity or 6 cavity molds. I will probobly be looking a Lee molds but not engraved in stone. Your comments will be most helpful.
    Thanks,
    Terrier
    Never Forget and Never Forgive

Boolit Master
    Since Lee molds are cheap, the 6 is the way to go. Production rules!!
    A six banger can do 600 boolits per hour without trying to hurry. I mean like a slow stroll.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

For as few as you need, you will probably have at least three times the problem with the six cavity mould. It takes a steeper learning curve and more heat to keep 6c flowing hot enough. I can turn out 350 to 400 per hour with fewer rejects with the 2c mould. I have 13 moulds, up to a 10c H&G, I'd just as soon cast with the 2c mould.
    YMMV.
    EW

6 bangers are twice the price, but I think they are made a little better in the long run with the features of the bushings and pins, and handled sprue plate. True, they take a little longer to heat up and learn, but are not too bad.

With two cavities, you can buy two molds (or three if you count the handle) and have different styles of bullets for a variety. Two cavities will be a minimal investment if you- or your gun-decide you don't like the profile or weight.

My two cents.

6 bangers are a better mold. I make alot of boolits with a 2 cavity lee, but the 6 is a big upgrade. Better alignment, better sprue plate.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I cast for my 38's 44-40's and 45acp. All with a 6 banger. No problems and VERY few rejects.
    44wcf

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

molds

have used several makes in past and find the 6 cavity Lee to work as good as any
    better than the 2 cavity.yes it takes more heat to opperate it,but in the end makes good bullets.I have several 6 cavity.some people cant work them and curse them but none of mine have had any problems.I spend maybe 15 minutes preping them which is stoneing faces and breaking the sharp corners. I really dont clean them that well and they work.
    for what you pay for the others you get more from Lee.
    WILDCATT

Count me on the 6-banger bandwagon. First 4 molds I bought were all Lee 6-cavity molds.
    -Bob

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
    Enduring the Obamination.

Boolit Master

I guess I'm wierd. I absolutely love my Lee 1 cav.

One perfect boolit, everytime.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    The Lee 6-bangers are made better than their 2-cavity moulds. You have to buy the handles separately, but they're only $12-13 from Midsouth Shooter's Supply. Since the Lees are made of aluminum, even their 6-bangers are lighter than anyone else's 2-banger iron moulds. They have a lever-operated sprue plate which is much easier to deal with than using a stick to beat the sprue plate open on a standard mould (I have dozens of standard moulds, but I like the Lee 6-banger lever sprue plate). Between the light weight and lever sprue plate, you will experience less fatigue when casting a large lot of boolits compared to a standard iron mould. One caveat, though. Be sure to get the sprue plate on the 6-bangers closed all the way before casting. Otherwise the lever camming action won't work and you'll end up breaking the sprue plate lever handle. Experience speaking.

If you buy a 2-banger, then later try a 6-banger, you may regret buying the 2-banger. If you start with the 6-banger, even at twice or more the price of the 2-banger, you won't regret your purchase. It's just a better tool.

Learn to cast fast enough to keep heat in the mould. Aluminum moulds cool quickly, so you have to keep casting to keep heat in them. Low mould temp = bad boolits.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

With Lee molds, 6cav is the way togo IMO. If you want 2cav, go w/ an iron mold from RCBS, Saeco or Lyman. You can do 300/hr w/ a 2cav so for 2000 a year, pretty easily done.

Boolit Master
    All I have is the two cavity. All I need and more.

Another vote for the 6 cavity molds!

Boolit Grand Master

Really it's up to you. If you don't like to spend allot of time casting get the 6x and if you don't mind spending a few hours a couple times a year get the 2x. I started getting the 6x and still use them but find myself liking the 2x more.
    Aim small, miss small!

Go with the Lee 6 bangers
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

I started casting just this year and my first molds were the 2 cavity, and didn't take long before I bought a a six cavity. Since The first lee mould I bought several used Lyman/RCBS 2 cavity molds from members here and like each a every one the same. I now have several new 2 cavity Lyman/ Rcbs molds with a new gas check RCBS 358158 coming for a Christmas present. To me each mold is a little different and has it's own personality, and I still enjoy the 6 bangers quite well, just get ready to stay busy for awhile.
    NRA Life Member

I read all the threads about bottom pour and 6 cavity molds, and I never understood what the big deal was. I was happy to ladle along with my two-holers. Recently I bought 3 Lee 6 cavity molds and a Pro 4 20. I understand now. Three times the production in half the time. In my first session with the TL358-148WC, I filled a 1 gallon coffee can. I don't know how many boolits that is, but it's a bunch. Later Don

Boolit Master
    if you tend to be OCD, get the six cavity so you will run out of lead and return to a normal life sooner. Also aquire various storage boxes and what not, to keep your 1000s of boolits in.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    I am looking at casting 1500 to 2000 .38 and 9MM each per year.
    Sir, you don't understand how addictive and rewarding casting really is.

Let's adjust that figure a bit, shall we?

I am looking at casting 1500 to 2000 .38 and 9MM each per month.
    There, that's more realistic.

lwknight speaks the truth...heed his sage words.

Boolit Master
    First two were .38 and .40 two bangers, which worked well. Thought I was dropping lots of boolits, until I got a .44 six banger. I was surprised at how easy it was to cut all six sprues, and the boolits pile up really quickly.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast