Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "115 grain .32 H & R magnum loads?"

To: 9.3X62AL and the rest of you 32H&R Mag. Nuts,

I have that RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No.1 ...I believe 9.3 is refering to page 133, which has 19diff. powders & loads listed for the 32-098-SWC, 98gr bullet.

Anyone that would like a copy, send me your e-mail address by PM and I will scan and email it to you. I do not have a FAX, but can scan and e-mail.

BTW, I have a 32H&R, S&W Mod 431PD, 2". I use 3.2 Bulleye behind a 103 gr SWC.

Let me know if you want a copy of the Data?
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'll take a copy. Does it show any other boolits?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

32 mag

I've had two of the 32 magnums, a TC Contender and an H&R revolver. I used Bullseye in them. It took 1.4 grains to reach 50 meters in the TC barrel (10").

That load is light and almost subsonic although it still rings my ears. I then checked it out to 100 meters with another 5 loads and came up with 1.9 grains of Bullseye. I couldn't see any difference between 1.9 and 2 grains though.

My little 32 mag revolver with 4" barrel liked the 1.9 better, the slower load seemed to generate heat and drag through it more. Most 32 magnum loads are toned down for the little NEF H&R handguns they were intended for. Mine is one of them.

Without earmuffs, the sharp snap should tell you that it's magnum and breaking the sound barrier.

Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

GT Bullets makes a 115gr cast hollow point if anyone is looking.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post

In my experience, 90-100 grain bullets give better accuracy in the 32 Magnum than do 110-120 grainers. Your revo being a 327 Federal gives at least one new variable that might change that all around.

/\ agreed

It has been quite some time since I played with the 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Mag but my experience was that you wanted to be right around the 100 gr bullet weight.

AND - WOW is this an old thread !

Banned

8.5-9 grains of wc820 (aa9) has been a sweet spot when I want full power loads.

Boolit Master

This is an old thread but has great info. I just picked up a Ruger Bisley 32 H&R and am working up possibilities with the 100 gr boolit. I also have the 115 gr boolit also but starting with the 100gr.

Thanks,
    gmsharps

Boolit Master
    I know this ia an old thread but I would like to issue a caution. The load data for 32 cartridges is really messed in several manuals. The earlier Lyman manuals listed 3.5 grains of Unique as a minimum load for 32swl. I tried this in my Colt Police Positive and it sounded and kicked like a 357. The older Speer manual l had called for almost as much powder. I am away from my data now but can't and won't tell you what to load in a 32. If I want 38spcl performance out of a revolver ,the woods is full of them.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I know this ia an old thread but I would like to issue a caution. The load data for 32 cartridges is really messed in several manuals. The earlier Lyman manuals listed 3.5 grains of Unique as a minimum load for 32swl. I tried this in my Colt Police Positive and it sounded and kicked like a 357. The older Speer manual l had called for almost as much powder. I am away from my data now but can't and won't tell you what to load in a 32. If I want 38spcl performance out of a revolver ,the woods is full of them.
    Reference load data for the 32 S&WL my earlier #3 manual lists 3.5 gr as a max load under a 115 gr cast stating the maximum loads are for solid frame revolvers only. The "start load" of 2.1 gr Unique is recommended for top break revolvers. My #4 Lyman CBH lists 3.1 gr Unique as max under a 93 gr cast bullet. The #4 manual also does not recommend any of the listed loads for use in top break revolvers anymore. While I prefer 2.7 gr Bullseye under the Lee 90 gr SWC in my S&W M30 I have shot a few loaded with the 3.5 gr Unique load under a 115 gr SWC. I find them no where near as boisterous out of my 3" M30 as I do 158 gr "standard" 38 SPL loads out of a 2" M36 38 SPL.

Also I thought this thread was about the 32 H&R Magnum? I've several magnum loads that exceed max charges in manuals. Those max manual charges along with the SAAMI MAP for the 32 H&R were developed for the top break H&R revolver. While it is wise to stick with the listed max charges for use with an H&R revolver new more modern solid frame S&Ws and Rugers can use heavier loads safely. Not any different than using "Ruger level" loads in the 45 Colt.

What I want out of my 32 H&R Magnum Ruger SS (original run) with 32 magnum level loads is magnum level performance using either SAAMI MAP level loads or the heavier level "solid frame" revolver loads that are safely developed (I pressure test them in a Contender barrel using the Oehler M43 PBL). If I want 32 S&W or 32 S&WL performance I will use my M30........
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-25-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    May be the right thread at the right time for me. I have been reloading 32 S&W Longs and 32 H&R Magnum loads for the last 30 years off and on with a stash of Remington swaged 98 grain swc's, but since I started reloading them in earnest over the last few months, my supply has dwindled.

My cousin who had a gun/pawnshop ended up with a Lyman double cavity mold #311008CV which throws a .312" 115 grain Keith type swc. In trade the same fellow gave him about 100 rounds apiece of loaded 32-20, and 32 H&R Magnum loads, all loaded with the same 115 grain Lyman bullets. Since my supply was dwindling my cousin gave me the Lyman mold with handles. I have noted in this thread and other sources that the 115 grain swc's are "not handled well" in 32S&W Long or 32 H&R Magnum. By the way the feller's load for the 32 H&R Magnum was the 115 grain bullet sitting on 4 grains of Unique. I shot a few of his loads in my S&W 631 and they seemed a bit hot.

But I am trying whether to decide to cast from the Lyman mold, or get another mold - say, the Lee mold that throws a 98-100 grain swc.

Question regarding 'not handling well": is the normal rifling in 32 revolvers too slow to stabilize the heavier 115 grain bullet, or are there pressure problems with the 115 as against the normal 98-100 grain bullet?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Those looking for 32 hr brass should try brassman https://brassmanbrass.com it is not listed on website but give him a call i got 500 cases for something like 40 or 45 dollars shipping included. Last time i purchased from him he had a good quantity of 32 sw long also. Easy and honest fellow to deal with.

Boolit Master

For some real screaming magnum loads I remember a fellow called Paco Kelly came out with loads for the 32 Mag when it came out years ago. These were for Rugers only and NEVER to be used in the H&R's or Smiths. He used the 115 grain 3118 and I think too much 2400. Tried a couple of his top loads and learned fear real quick. I forget exactly what they were nor would I even pass them on if I did remember but if you like living on the edge I know they are out there.
    Facta non verba

I've been playing with an LCR in 327 Fed Mag and a Smith 432PD in 32 HRM and have been enjoying both. I guess I need to get some 100 and 115 grain GT cast hollow points and try them in ballistic gel.

Boolit Master
    When changing to a heavier bullet, the bullet hardness as well as the sizing play an important part in pressure generated by a load.
    A thousandth larger on a heavier bullet cast from a harder alloy than the original load can put you in dangerous territory.
    The reloader who said he used 3.5 grains Unique or 4 may have had a larger bore than yours in the same caliber, so he shows a safe load.
    Remember: each gun is a law unto itself and no two are the same except for the exceptions to the rule.
    So many variables, so many choices, so many drinks and flavors.
    How anyone can say "it worked for me. I can't understand WHY YOU are having trouble."
    Its just all part of the experience.
    Those who understand what I mean always only start with the minimum load and only load a few because the stated minimum may not be correct for your gun. Harder alloy, different size ,different style-shape-ogive or no ogive, different lot of powder, smaller cartridge volume, hotter primer, and more variables.
    Its more than bullet, case, primer, and powder. Reloading is dangerous.Really flying by the seat of your pants when you venture outside just reloading to factory specs ,using the standard supplied bullet, powder, case and primer.
    Using common sense, if the reload is too hot, stopping right there and backing up is only logical.
    Reloading data is never gospel and has been tested, just for the average gun.
    Being above or below average is what this is all about, I think.
    We just have to be able to tell the difference and make the right choice for our gun.
    I like what you all had to say.
    Keep experimenting. We all live and learn. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting .32H&R Mag for 25+years. Never had any problems finding brass or Data. I also load for an old Police Positive in .32S&W Long, and .32Short and Wimpy for my Grandmother's old S&W LemonSqueezer.
    .32ACP too.

Never had a problem with any loadings for any of these Cartridges. Used to have a little H&R in .32Mag, the factory loads were uncomfortable to shot, so I traded it off, and got the Ruger SSM 5 1/2". It shot great with the .32 H&R Mag factory loads. So I just stuck with them.
    I bought 8 boxes of once fired .32H&R Mag at a Gun Show for $40. Still using it, with the SAECO #325. A 100gr SWC FB. For .32 Long I use the Lee 93gr RN.

So go light to start with.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12