RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts for Lyman #45 lubrisizer

In Remembrance

Parts for Lyman #45 lubrisizer

Where can I get a schematic drawing of the Lyman #45? I think I am missing the o-ring gasket on the pressure piston. It has been years since I used it last, now it won't pump lube except out the top. Any one know where to get parts?

Boolit Master

O rings available at auto parts store or hardware store.

Boolit Grand Master

Not really much of an exploded view, but here you go:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/Lyman_45.pdf

The pressure nut for the 450 and 4500 is the same. The O rings for the current presses will fit your nut.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If you have an old orginal #45 lube/sizer it does not have an "O" ring on the piston, the orginal piston uses a brass ring. The piston for the #450 and #4500 however will fit and are available from Lyman. Go to their site and click on parts. If you end up ordering I would also get the threaded rod.

Boolit Master

I have one, I just need to look on another PC. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Doug

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I have 3 model 45s and they all have the new setup.

As far as the wax coming out of the top but not the bottom and it has sat around for a few years, now you have another job. Clean ALL the old wax out before you do any thing else. I had one that had set for 30 years and the wax was like a rock. Heat it with a hair drier till you see clean metal everywhere, yes even in the sizing reservoir or a chunk will come loose at the worst time.

Don't ask me how I know.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have 3 model 45s and they all have the new setup.
    Did you do the replacement with the newer "O" ring piston? I have 2 that I've upgraded to use the new piston.

Yes you're right Bill, he needs to heat things up and remove all the old lube.

In Remembrance

My thanks to you all! I have cleaned a couple of these over the years, so I have a pot big enough to boil the crud out of it I will order the "upgraded" piston and "O" ring set from Lyman. I actually like the #45 a bit more than the #450 which always leaks out of the bottom. I have thick gaskets under them and permatexed them to the bench and after a year or so they start to leak. My RCBS does not leak but I break a handle off every year. I use LBT "blue" almost exclusevly on bullets with gas checks. The others I tumble in LLA. I suspect the stiffness of the LBT lube is some part of the wear and tear my various lubrisizers experience, but its advantages outweigh the inconvenience.

Boolit Master

Curator,
    Not trying to be a smart a**, but may I suggest you look into a heater for your lubrisizer? It can be as simple as attaching an Aluminum plate to the bottom of the unit with a wooden block under the plate for an insulator and sitting an iron set on low on the plate for a heat source or a drop light propped up against the lube reservoir. While I have not used the particular lube you do, the above setup with the iron makes my life a bunch easier when I use a hard lube.

"It can be as simple as attaching an Aluminum plate to the bottom of the unit with a wooden block under the plate for an insulator and sitting an iron set on low " Good, simple idea, will work for me. Thanks

Heater, heater!
    http://cheese1566gunsandstuff.shutterfly.com/130
    Homemade that incorporates a Lyman cartridge heater. Oak blocks with tee nuts and the alum block traded by a fellow member. C-clamps on the bench for portability and storage.

I have the O-ring size written down somewhere if you need them. But like others said, I took the pieces to the hdwe store and found the ones I liked for a snug fit. No leaks. If you order a new piston, then get the pistons from Lyman.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cephas53 View Post
    "It can be as simple as attaching an Aluminum plate to the bottom of the unit with a wooden block under the plate for an insulator and sitting an iron set on low " Good, simple idea, will work for me. Thanks
    I did the same with a piece of 10 gauge (.135) cold rolled steel I had laying around. No problem conducting the heat.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

leaks

I have two lyman 45,and never had a leak in the bottom.one I have had since they first came out.around 1945/6.also I have never broke one.to many are ham handed.or were the early users smarter.I know enuf not to strain the machine and break handles.I do use a hair dryer when its cool.my lube is an NRA type. I bought 50 lb in bulk yrs ago.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

I did find my 45 manual in pdf form, 2 attachments. Anyone that wants it can email me.

Doug

Boolit Mold
    would like a copy could you put somewere on forum so we could find it thanks,,,,,, bill briggs tx

Moderator Emeritus

It's in a sticky...in this section...see the 5th post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34525

or just click here
    http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/Lyman_45.pdf
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have a Lyman 45 Sizer and have problems. The previous user didn't take very good care of it and the barrel that the lube fits in, the bottom where it threads into the base has the threads on the BARREL almost worn off. Other than that it works fine, but when you turn the threaded rod that forces the lube down, the darn barrel keeps backing out, then the lube is all over the place. I have tried cleaning the threads on the barrel and the base, but it keeps coming loose, FRUSTRATING. I have even used Locktite RED, but the threads on the barrel are too worn to stay put. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement barrel??????? I like the 45 over any of the UPDATES (hah), but have this one problem. Spare parts anyone?

Boolit Grand Master

Spare parts come from broken presses on these. I suggest you braze it.

Boolit Man

A friend just dropped off an old Lyman 45 for me to use BUT, its missing parts like the lube cap the ratchet/wrench .

PLEASE, Can anyone direct me to a parts supplier? I hate to toss this old boy out in the recycling.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Grand Master

The cap is not necessary. A 1/4 inch ratchet wrench will work for the pressure screw or you can get an original style wrench from Chapman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast