RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whycome so dadgum spendy?

Boolit Master

Whycome so dadgum spendy?

Why are simple lubrisizer dies from Lyman and RCBS going for $30 these days? A whole die set used to cost that much not long ago.
    The Lee system is cheaper, as usual, but for BP boolits I like the ease of lubing with SPG in a lubrisizer.

Boolit Grand Master

I buy them off Amazon. Some are $27. But I think I paid a little over $20 for most of them. Just have to buy at the right time. I consider the cost marginal since I can't make them myself.

Moderator Emeritus

recently optics planet had a sale, I bought one for $22
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I ask that same question about everything.
    have you looked at the price of shot recently, why is it 46.00 a bag when lead it 72 cents a pound?

Boolit Master
    Optics Planet sells sizing dies? Gad, where have I been sleeping?

Boolit Master

Union Machinists paid by the hour to make these, and the cost of living keeps going up
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    have you looked at the price of shot recently, why is it 46.00 a bag when lead it 72 cents a pound?
    It might seem a little high but with the raw material cost of just the lead at $18, add labor, capital, consumables, overhead and profit the wholesale price could be near $36, that would just leave $10 for retail mark up. It does not seem even enough but then I was never in the mood to run a marginal business.

When the price of lead dropped from a $1 down to $0.72 that reduced the raw material cost from $25 down to $18 so a price drop of $5 or $7 could have been expected. Prices are always slow to drop so maybe the drop will still come.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS has very dear prices. On everything. But if you drop your die under your steamroller and break it, they'll replace it. That has some value at least...
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master
    A Lyman/RCBS lubrisizer die probably costs about $4.00 to make. I don't think there is a good reason for them to cost nearly $30.

I once worked for an orthopedic company that manufactured bone screws.
    Bone screws cost $3.00 each to make out of titanium. There was nothing special about the design since they used the standard ASTM design.
    Joy of joys - they sold about 70,000 a year at $75.00 each.
    EDG

I'm glad that we don't have to involve insurance when we buy equipment or supplies for our boolits. With Obama care it would be cheeper to by all ready manufactured ammo.

$3.00 per screw to $75.00. Thank goodness for insurance. ha,ha!
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    It might seem a little high but with the raw material cost of just the lead at $18, add labor, capital, consumables, overhead and profit the wholesale price could be near $36, that would just leave $10 for retail mark up. It does not seem even enough but then I was never in the mood to run a marginal business.

When the price of lead dropped from a $1 down to $0.72 that reduced the raw material cost from $25 down to $18 so a price drop of $5 or $7 could have been expected. Prices are always slow to drop so maybe the drop will still come.

Tim
    Businesses have to sell off their expensive stock before they can replace it with their cheap stock.

My trap club sells shot, and we're still trying to sell out of the expensive stuff bought 2 or 3 years ago; we're getting there but it takes a while.
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

Boolit Master
    I do not mind paying RCBS higher prices for their stuff. It is a one time cost and their warranty is second to none that I know of.
    If I buy a RCBS dieset, I only pay it once in my lifetime. If it costs ten bucks more, that is okay. Ten bucks over 30 years is negligible.
    Paying for the consumables is what grinds my gears. I plan on buying a lot of powder, primers and lead, and that adds up.

I don't know, Midsouth has a Lyman 285 for under a dollar cheaper than RCBS.

RCBS treats me right and excellent customer service in a quick manner. I don't have the sme experience with Lyman....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Why are simple lubrisizer dies from Lyman and RCBS going for $30 these days? A whole die set used to cost that much not long ago.
    The Lee system is cheaper, as usual, but for BP boolits I like the ease of lubing with SPG in a lubrisizer.
    Uh Check beef prices, property taxes, inflation and dollar devaluation. I remember paying $145.00 for my first brand new Colt Ar-15 sporter at my local gun shop.

Boolit Master
    I bought a HF mini lathe a few years back and now make my own sizer dies for my Lyman, RCBS, Star and Swag-O-Matic as well as M dies, gas check makers, punches and other stuff. My $300 lathe (it's been a while) has paid for itself many times and it's fun to play with. I thought $15 was higher than they should be with $.50 worth of steel and a CNC lathe cranking out one every 30 seconds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    A Lyman/RCBS lubrisizer die probably costs about $4.00 to make. I don't think there is a good reason for them to cost nearly $30.

I once worked for an orthopedic company that manufactured bone screws.
    Bone screws cost $3.00 each to make out of titanium. There was nothing special about the design since they used the standard ASTM design.
    Joy of joys - they sold about 70,000 a year at $75.00 each.

$4 is simply an incorrect number you just made up. If it were indeed that easy to make money I'd come out of retirement as a machinist and run them. It's not that the dies are expensive. We have just become poor from a devalued dollar. Real wages have stagnated and become near poverty level. But we still have a guy from Texas who wants to buy in and blame "union machinist".
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    i can agree with EDG a size die would take about $4 to make .. for materials and machine time .

but then that you have to add on all the other costs ,.. the cnc machine that pumps them out surely wasnt free was it neither was the tooling or the labor or the packaging or the shipping and lets not forget all the taxes we have have to pay . along with the electric bills and other utilities .
    oo wait lets not forget the facilities it takes to house the machines and workers along with the property taxes and maintenance the facilities require .

so how is that $4 looking now ... as a small business owner i hear that same carp every week . it gets tiresome .

think about this ... i have a small machine shop , and yet i still buy most of my reloading equipment . why you ask .
    its simple economics ,.. i can still buy cheaper then i can make . even at what some call over inflated prices .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fg-machine View Post
    i can agree with EDG a size die would take about $4 to make .. for materials and machine time .

but then that you have to add on all the other costs ,.. the cnc machine that pumps them out surely wasnt free was it neither was the tooling or the labor or the packaging or the shipping and lets not forget all the taxes we have have to pay . along with the electric bills and other utilities .
    oo wait lets not forget the facilities it takes to house the machines and workers along with the property taxes and maintenance the facilities require .

so how is that $4 looking now ... as a small business owner i hear that same carp every week . it gets tiresome .

think about this ... i have a small machine shop , and yet i still buy most of my reloading equipment . why you ask .
    its simple economics ,.. i can still buy cheaper then i can make . even at what some call over inflated prices .
    Add tooling, changeovers, heat treatment, scrap, receiving and shipping, perishables like coolant, indirect costs of support personnel, fixed costs such as utilities, building heat, upkeep, taxes. Then you add the costs to maintain employees such as vacation, sick time, retirement funds, taxes, insurance, holiday pay,PPE, company picnics, again the taxes. Then you add in variable overhead costs such as advertising and marketing, legal, and personnel depts. If you still think it it is overpriced you might want to develop a business plan and start making them. By the way the cost of the medical screws are only a part of it. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Union Machinists paid by the hour to make these, and the cost of living keeps going up
    The cost of living is going up only because the value of the dollar is shrinking!

Don't feel bad! Up here in Canada a typical 25 pound bag (11 kg) of lead shot is now selling between $75 and $85 depending on the retailer! Trap and Skeet shooters have given up on reloading shotgun shells since we can buy 250 round / 10 box flats of target 12 gauge shells for far less than it would cost us to reload them ...

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast