Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: NEF Barrels

NEF Barrels

Does any one make after market custom barrels for the NEF handy rifles?

Boolit Master
    Not really. You can have them made or make them yourself, but no company is building them. The problem is the barrels are fitted to the frame and not universal like TC's.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I used to have several NEF SB1s, I swapped the barrels back and forth and never had a problem.

Does NEF custom chamber?

Is there a place you can send the barrels to, and have ones made for your frame?

Jr, here is addy for nef barrel program. You have to send your frame in and have them fit a new barrel to it. I have a few nef/h&r and the barrel do not freely interchange. Some fit well but others will not lock or are very sloppy when locked. Not a hard job to fit on though.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Beekeeper
    Jr.,
    For the SB1 frame they will only fit a shotgun barrel anymore.
    They require the SB2 frame for any rifle barrels.
    Check out the H&R site as they have a chart for different barrels as well as
    new rules on sending the frame in to them.

You might try the GBO forum site as they have a complete section devoted to the H&R/NEF rifles

Jim

Boolit Master
    Talk to David White at D & T . He has rechambered some for me ! He does great work !

Jerry

http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/index.html
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

My dad has a SB2 he wants to sell, and I was thinking about getting it, and using it like a contender rifle.

I might still get it and use the stock barrels.

How well to these things shoot?

Swede Nelson did a thread on making your own Handi Rifle barrels a year or so back.

All that is required is to make a copy of the underlug, and a jig to position it and hold it to the barrel, and to TIG it on. This is not all of the details, but only an overview. Swede says to hold the welded article (immediately after welding) at about 300 degrees and slowly bring it down to room temperature over about 12 hours to stress relieve the weld.

If you get the breech end of the barrel to close tight against the breech face (hint: leave a little extra barrel at the rear, and turn it down to fit), then chambering will take care of headspacing.

The same strategy can be used to get good fit of the locking lug. Leave a little extra metal, and file it to engage. If you don't give it too much engagement, it will last a lot longer as the lug will simply engage more as it wears in.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=

How well to these things shoot?[/QUOTE]

I got a 30-30 old trapper model 157 barrell one that was new pre 80's, on a New plastic stock and frame
    Very rough near the throat.But fired very little rounds.
    NOt Micro groved. 4 groover. ..1:12 inch twist.
    Shot 1 1/2 " MOA 150 grns J word stuff
    But left copper jacket material on it.
    After Lapping some of the rough spots out.
    1 1/2 " Jacketed. 2 Moa cast.
    After PPatcing and twigging and learning how to paper patch.Etc ETc.Bit of playing around. Extra honing and the PP polishing....
    3/4 MOA 150 grn Jacket 4 shots 100 yrds
    3/4 MOA 180 rn Paper Patched 100yrds
    Plain cast 180 rn 1 and a bit MOA. at 100yrds.

300 yrds Plain cast and Jacketed between somewhere of the 4-6 inch group mostly...with a few flyers thrown in. Me not the gun

I aint no expert an all that thou.
    Hope it helps

I intend to play with a 150 grner cast flat point see what that will do next as I stuffed me mold up

Silly bugga
    Barra
    Last edited by barrabruce; 12-09-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    My H&R 158 with full length stock will shoot cast bullets into about 2-2 1/2" at 100 yds. Working with a Hornet, a couple .223s, and a 45-70. All show good potential, I think these guns can be plenty accurate if you spend some time with them. Oh, the 158 is a 30-30. I'd sure like to have a .303 Brit.

I don't think this is what I want, because I want constant sub MOA grouping, because I want to use it for varmint hunting.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a custom barrel to me...

http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.websi...ost?id=3310936

IIRC, David 'stubs' barrels for the H&R; he cuts off a factory barrel, turns down the chamber area, slips an already-prepared aftermarket barrel over it, then chambers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.