Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: prospective newbie

Boolit Buddy

prospective newbie

Hello all. I am a realitive noob to casting and reloading and now I think that the M/L bug may have bit me. I have a few questions that I need answers to. So without further ado:

1. Where do I go to do research on muzzleloading?

2. What kind of rifle do youse guys reccomend for a rookie? (simple and realitivly cheap please. I perfer 209 ignition as I already have a ton of primers but I am totally open)

3. Where is the best place to get rifles and associated gear?

4. Any good reading material that I should check out?

5. Any good advice/tips/tricks/comments/sarcastic remarks/etc for a rookie?

Well there you have it for now. I'm sure that there are more questions but my brain is slowly shutting down for the night.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Quickshot

A good all-around book to give you a lot of good information is DBI's Black Powder Gun Digest. Older editions are fine, too, and can often be found for very cheap at shows. There are others, too, and you will get suggestions from other members.

You can't go wrong with a T/C. They have traditionals and inlines, are well made and a good value.
    Locks on their traditionals are excellent, and they can be upgraded to match accuracy with Green Mountain drop-ins in a wide range of calibers. If you like to shoot them, this is the way to go. Many of us hunt with traditionals, too.

In-lines you are pretty much limited to .50 cal unless you want to go up a few notches in price. Generally you get what you pay for, though. If you are getting it primarily to take advantage of special deer seasons, in-lines do tend to be more weather-proof. Some are fitted with a removable breech plug that makes cleaning an awful lot easier. They will more than pass the pie plate test, but don't expect an in-line to be a tack driver. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise, but usually you have to go with much more expensive ones for really fine accuracy.

Buy a short starter, a ball puller, a cleaning jag of the proper caliber, and a worm (patch puller). Those little dischargers that use CO2 cartridges are worth their weight in gold, too. Loading tubes that hold pre-measured charges and boolits or sabots are a must for hunting and easier at the range, too.
    Pop a cap or primer before loading to blow any oil or foreign matter out of the nipple/flash hole.

Remember to put the powder in before you load the boolit/ball (That's why I told you to get a ball puller and/or a CO2 discharger, sooner or later you will space out and forget to charge it. We all do, even if we don't like to admit it and it's better to be prepared with the right tool to fix it.)

Always clean thoroughly as soon after shooting as possible, don't let it wait overnight. BP is corrosive, and Pyrodex even more so.

As to where to buy stuff, you can get most of what you need directly from T/C www.tcarms.com where you can also download their catalog and get a better idea of what's available. Midway also stocks all kinds of BP tools, supplies, and accessories. A Google search might find you better prices.
    Last edited by versifier; 05-17-2006 at 03:33 AM.
    Born OK the first time.

NEF Huntsman or Sidekick are pretty good choices for someone wanting to start out with a simple inline. You can get one through some Wal-Marts. I would recommend going the extra expense of getting one with the stainless barrel.

They are simple, American made, and consistently accurate.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4003416

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4003411

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4003410

Boolit Master

What Versifier said.

T/C's are hard to beat for a first rifle.

First the powder, then the ball

Get a catalog from Dixie Gun Works of Union City, Tenn. Plenty of good info in there and lots of good stuff (and some not so good) to buy.

Before spending big $$ on a firearm, ask around your area about shooters already into muzzleloading. Most are kind of friendly and willing to help out newcomers.

Try web sites for muzzleloadermag and americanlongrifles.

Have fun & good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Check for your local BP shooting club. That way you can see it in action and someone will probubly let you shoot a few so you know what you are getting into. Bass Pros sells allot of BP stuff and with some of the best prices. If you buy a gun you can get a starter kit to go with it for cheap and you will have most everything you need. The nice thing about the BP sport is most of the things you need you can make yourself!

Boolit Master

Try this guy, he is listed on the muzzleloadermag site. The info might not be current, but I'll bet there are a bunch of charcoal burners in your area.

Long Rifles Of The Canadian - OK City, Bobby Jump, 900 NW 102, Oklahoma City, OK 73114

Quickshot,

You may want to wander over to 'Outdoor America', 1925 N Macarthur Blvd. Not sure if you've been over there before or not. It's one of the places I always hit when I make my way to OKC.

You may want to head on down to Brick Town and take a look in the Bass Pro Shop as well.

Pretty good folks, good selection of needed items for the blackpowder shooter.

Welcome aboard by the way...great to see another *OKIE* join the site. I believe you'll find it a truly great place.

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.