MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: 7 mauser load

Boolit Bub

7 mauser load

I have cast up a bunch of 130 grain LEE GC boolits and have been looking for data to load them to around 2300-2400 fps. I have found slower and faster loads but don't know which powders I could safely reduce to get approximate velocities without getting detonation and blowing up. My lead recipe was 3/4 recovered range lead with 1/4 linotype. Put together a scout - truck gun on a Mauser 93 action.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have a recipe for you, but I think your alloy is too soft for the velocity your looking for
    Unless you H2O dropped them or HT them.

Banned
    I believe your alloy is okay if your lube is up to snuff. Water dropped would have made them harder.

Joe

Do a 'search" for 7 X 57, and 7-08 as the case Cap. is just a little less that the 7X57, also check the Speer manuals, as they list reduced loads.
    Depebding on how much you plan to shoot cast bullets you might look at the 150 gn. 7MM bore rider/Hunter group buy going on right now, there is even a HP offered
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Bub
    they were hard enough that I couldn't drive them through the bore to check bore diameter. And that was without the gas check on the bullet. I always thought that proper bullet to bore match was more important than bullet hardness. Plus they have a gas check on them now. I want some expansion as I hope to shoot at coyotes out to 200 yards. The rifle shot good groups with 140 gr jacketed .284 bullets and I am hoping the gas checked bullets sized at .285 will work. Looks like I will have to take the reloading setup to the woods with me so I don't waste time loading a bunch at home and have them not work out.

Hodgdon has some reduced recoil loads with 4895 that might work for you. I also loaded IMR 4320 in some 7x57's I've had with good results, and the velocity range you are looking for. Don't be afraid to use jacketed bullet info using the same weight bullets.

In 7x57, 6.5x55 and similar capacity cases, I've found that 19.0 ~ 21.5 grains of AA-1680 works quite well with good accuracy.

Boolit Bub
    So far I have tried 28 gr. IMR 4198 and had an average 2100 FPS and no leading. With the muzzlebrake almost no felt recoil at all. Accuracy seemed to be fine. didn't shoot at paper but at real world targets. Random objects from 60 to 200 yards up in the woods. A rock here, a clay pigeon on a dirt bank there type of thing. I will try this load again and take some targets that will give me an idea of bullet expansion. Probably lots of soaked magazines and newspaper .

Boolit Grand Master
    xtratoy,

Welcome aboard, and that is an awful nice looking rifle to have beat up as a truck gun.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Small ring 7x57 Mauser 93 $100
    Leupold FXII 2.5x scope $269
    Miculek Compensator $35
    Krylon Green paint $4.00
    Making the scope mount, Threading the barrel, Painting it green and having the project turn out as planned, PRICELESS.

I don't reload for 7x57 but I do for 7-08 and 7x64. The LEE boolit you plan to use is NOT a bore rider and certainly will not handle the velocity you want to push them. Like Wayne S said, take a loock on the group buy for a 150grs bore rider boolit.

HONCHO EMERITUS

BRP Custom Molds (check the Vendor Sposor Section) is going to be developing a design for the military 7x57 rifles. These old warhorses have larger throat/bore dimensions than the modern 7mm-08's, 7mm Rem Mag's, .280 Rem's, etc.

Target weight on this new design is going to be 160 grains, give or take. Once we get a few throat slugs together 45 2.1 will design a boolit and BRP will cut the molds. Bruce should be producing molds by springtime.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

In Remebrance

Fit is King, but there are limits. If I were you I;d start in the 17-1800 fps second range with something like 2400 powder (start around 14.0 gr and work up) or a powder slightly slower than that. See what the boolit/alloy likes at that speed. Work up from there going to a slower powder if the groups start blowing open.

Judging by my coyote shooting they won't know the difference between 22 and 2400 fps. I've had then DRT with a 115 gr 30 cal at 16-1700 fps, but that was a FN boolit

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

29 gr of 4198 with 130 gr jac so you can us that load as it does 2300fts and with lead might get 2400 fts.you can use jac loads. the lead will go faster.so you can load lower.thats from lees book.
    dont you have loading manuals.if you dont have at least three you need to get them Lees book,lymans cast bullit and lymans reloading book. they will give you a start.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Bub
    Yes I have the Lee Manual. That is where I got the load for the IMR 4198

I have the 160gn Lyman 287641 bore riding Silh GC mould and with a straight lino ( and a soft nose on the same mould) I get 2415 with 39gn H4350 in my 25in MAB barrelled 1908 DWM. 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 in at 100 yds and good for 250yds if I do my part right.

Von Gruff.

Super Moderator

The above 2 targets were shot from my M98/08 Brazilian contract Mauser at 50 yards with the issue sights and trigger. The barrel is 29". The boolit was the RCBS 7mm-168, which for this weighed 172grs with lube and GC. The velocities and ES's are listed. Both the powders are surplus military. The WC860 is 50 BMG powder and the WC872 is a 20mm cannon powder. Both are very similar to each other, and are very slow.

For both powders the charge was exactly the same, a FULL case. It burned as clean as any recommended canister powder. A std LRP (Win) was used to ignite the charge.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    I was given an old Lyman single cavity mold #287405, the handles, top punch, and 3 shoe boxes of bullets cast from the mold. Was told they were cast with straight WW. Seated over 20.0 gr SR4759, they shoot right at an inch for 5 shots from my round top M77 7X57. Best part is they are on at 100yds without changing my sights from my jackets hunting loads.