MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Delema

Delema

Merry Christmas to all!

Well I'm not sure what to do here.

I am working up a couple of loads for my .38 for my 6" 686.

I have BOTH lead boolits and plated bullets in 125grns and the same in 158grns.

I will be using IMR 700x.

The plated bullets are from Extreme bullets. They (Extreme bullets) will only recommend to use Speer's load info using fmj #'s. I have heard others say only use lead load #'s
    for plated.

So I need advice and any safe loads you all may have for these combinations PLEASE.

Next, I am using a RCBS beam scale and not sure of a good way to work up from, say 3.0grns to 3.1grns. It is very hard to tell the difference with such a small increment. Should I work up in larger increments? ex. 3.0grns to 3.3grns?

Any help with loads and scale questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marlinreloader

Boolit Grand Master
    Which boolit?

I'm looking at my Lyman 49th edition and it lists a Lyman 356242 120 gr. at 2.5 starting, and 3.9 max load with that powder.

Nothing for anything heavier than 150 gr WC boolit.

If I was starting with that boolit and powder, it would be 2.5, 3.0, 3.3, 3.5.
    Probably stop at 3.5. What are you looking for in performance and accuracy??

For anything heavier, 158 gr. and up, nothing faster than Unique. That's just me though.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

What velocity range are you aiming for? 3.2 gr 700X under a 148 gr (lead) WC is pretty much my "go to" load for standard velocities in my S&W 586. For something just a little "hotter"...like knocking down steel plates...I use 3.6 gr under a Lyman 358156 (158 grainer w/GC). I can keep either load inside of 2" @ 25 yds shooting off a rest with iron sights.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 2.8 gr of Bullseye for target and plate shooting. Low recoil, fast recovery for the next shot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 2.8 gr of Bullseye for target and plate shooting. Low recoil, fast recovery for the next shot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel