Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: .502-440 Keith results

.502-440 Keith results

This boolit cast with water quenched ww's,gator gas checks and lubed with lar's carnuba red and sized at .501 weighed in at 149-150grs. Loaded with 34gr of H110 to start I got a velocity of 1428 fps with a 14fps spread. At 25yrds offhand with iron sights I was getting 2inch groups with a few operator error fliers out to 6in. All in all with a little more work and testing I think this will work great as this was a very preliminary result. The mold,after I cleaned with brake cleaner and smoked the cavities worked great with no issues other than I had to slow my casting down when the mold got hot with all that molten lead it was holding. It seemed to work best around 800 degrees and a count to 5 after the sprue was cut and the boolits dropped in water. I also used Bullplate. P.S I shot this out of an 8-3/8bbl. Later I upped the powder charge to 36grs and seem to be getting better results but have not chronyed the load yet as I was having fun blasting hedgeballs into oblivion and sending turf flying 40ft in the air.YEEEHAWW!!!
    Last edited by wilddog45; 01-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Here is how it looks

Boolit Master

Good looking boolit, The last 44gr keith style I shot out of my 4" went 1565fps with 36gr lilgun H110 should be right around there out of your 8 3/8s. I might open mine and do some casting this friday and rewrap it before my wife gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by 69daytona View Post
    Good looking boolit, The last 44gr keith style I shot out of my 4" went 1565fps with 36gr lilgun H110 should be right around there out of your 8 3/8s. I might open mine and do some casting this friday and rewrap it before my wife gets home.
    I knew that pic would get you to itchin'!!

Boolit Master

it did, I opened it up and did a little casting, most were lightly frosted but still good boolits. I only had 10 that came out nice and shiny and completly filled out. Have about 60 that were perfect just lightly frosted. Cant wait to have time to load them and go shooting.

Mine came out .504 on top band and .5036 on middle and lower. Weighed 439.8 to 440.1, very little variation. I am using 2400 powder, havent figured out a load yet. Was using 29gr of 2400 for the 375gr Lyman SWC so I may start there.
    Calehedron
    Roll Tide!
    KCH Reloading
    Custom Cast Bullets and Brass Processing
    Owner/Operator
    A small garage based business

Well, the blast from the ole 500 knocked the screen out of my chrony today. Don't know what hit it. Maybe powder or a gas check. Looks like I got to retool.

Boolit Master

how close do you have it. I keep mine 10 feet from the muzzle and havent had any problems.
    Time to build a shield for mine just in case.

Boolit Master

I can't wait to get shooting with mine. I haven't done anything since the initial cast. I hit a deer and have been putting in a new radiator, etc so no free time lately.

Quote Originally Posted by 69daytona View Post
    how close do you have it. I keep mine 10 feet from the muzzle and havent had any problems.
    Time to build a shield for mine just in case.
    Actually,it was a stupid mistake. I moved my range and built a new shooting bench but I need to move the bench back another 10 yrds to get 100 yrds and that puts me in a mucky garden. My old range I had the chrony mounted on a pole about 6ft in front of the bench. I did not have the pole handy and just set the chrony on the bench and you can probably figure out the rest. Needless to say it won't happen again

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog45 View Post
    .....weighed in at 149-150grs.
    Mine weighed in a lot heavier (420 grains with the hollow point, sized and lubed.) Are we talking about the same mold?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    Mine weighed in a lot heavier (420 grains with the hollow point, sized and lubed.) Are we talking about the same mold?
    Yea the begining of this had me scratching my head too.

Loaded up a few of these with 35 grains of IMR 4227, CCI large rifle magnum primers, and Winchester brass. A fellow 500 shooter that I know described this as a "mid-range" load, which I guess it is compared to a 700 grain log sitting on Lil'Gun.

Recoil was stout as one would expect, but manageable. Accuracy was good. No signs of unburnt powder or pressure issues or anything like that. Overall a nice load and I'll definitely make more.

(These were cast with the hollow point pin and weighed in at about 420 grains sized and lubed.)

Dug out the chrono and tested a few loads. Cast with the hollow point pin, actual weight about 420 grains (lubed and sized.) Fired from the 8 5/8" S&W 500. 10 shot groups:

IMR 4227, 35 grains - High: 1427 Low: 1364 Av: 1390 ES: 63 SD: 20.4 (Fun load. Stout but manageable.)

Trailboss, 7 grains - High 647.5 Low: 614.6 Av: 633.7 ES: 32.9 SD: 8.6 (Felt like a PPC load. Good for small children.)
    Trailboss, 8 grains - High 708.8 Low: 676.2 Av: 693.9 ES: 32.1 SD: 7.8
    Trailboss, 9 grains - High 753.4 Low: 733.3 Av: 744.1 ES: 20.0 SD: 6.2 (Nice light load, great spread and SD, potential for great accuracy.)
    Last edited by jasons; 10-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Those are nice looking bullets, I missed out on this group buy does he ever do re runs?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.7 MAN View Post
    Those are nice looking bullets, I missed out on this group buy does he ever do re runs?
    You might be lucky, I would suggest you to contact Miha (posted 04-11-2011);

Last edited by Onty; 03-21-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    I guess I had a brain fart and had .357 weight on the mind. It is the same mold if you couldn't figure it out by the load and the pics. The post is so old I forgot how much they actually weighed. I am into the ross designs now. Still have the mold and it is a fun boolit.
    "Old casters never die. They just MOLD!"