WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Spring Back

Spring Back

Just wondering how much spring back there might be on WW alloy on bullets sized down .002 and .004 ?
    Would it depend on the origional size ,ie .435 to .431 vs .278 to .274 ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    IME , the 3% SB of WWs don't give much if any springback. Still pretty dead at that low Sb.
    This was for air dropped cast. I can't answer water cooled or treated.
    Last edited by lwknight; 12-04-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: additional thought
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Springback depends on shape of boolit as well. Smaller grooves gives more springback. A boolit has to be tough to be "springback-able", not just hard. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 12-04-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Just wondering how much spring back there might be on WW alloy on bullets sized down .002 and .004 ?
    Would it depend on the origional size ,ie .435 to .431 vs .278 to .274 ??

It depends on hardness/toughness of the lead (water quenched), and the difference between the original size and the size of the die. I get about .0023 springback on my .45 boolits. I water quench and I think they are around 18 BHN. I measured them, but can't remember exactly what the hardness was.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Banned

my 454424 square lube grooved will pop back a thou when sized from 454 to 452 they come back to 453.
    thats with an 2/4 mix though, and sized within 48 hrs.

In Remebrance

Wow, interesting question. I'll bet there's a metallurgical site some where that provides that info, but I'd also bet the exact alloy has a lot to do with it.

Boolit Master
    I believe there are too many variables to come to any axiom on this one! The variables as I see them are.....alloy composition, casting temperature, heat treatment, boolit design, sizing die size relationship to the boolit being sized, and well, prolly the phase of the moon!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Spring Back after Bullet Sizing

I feel its less than .001" The bullets as they drop from the mould are out of round by about .0015" or more. Had to get a correct measurement. IMO
    Last edited by 243winxb; 12-05-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add title

I think the springback ain't. Not the lead springing back anyway. The die stretches and makes the boolit size larger than the sizer's actual unstressed size. Harder lead, more stretch, sizes bigger.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    I think the springback ain't. Not the lead springing back anyway. The die stretches and makes the boolit size larger than the sizer's actual unstressed size. Harder lead, more stretch, sizes bigger.
    A few days ago while casting some 8 oz. ingots of the 30% Sb aka "superhard" I spilled and splattered some on the floor as is common for anything liquid that I touch. The thin splats of the 30% were springy when I bent them. Bend it too far and it breaks but it did spring back, so I know that there is a point of aloy mix that does spring back.

I make no guess as to what ratio or amount of anything. I just know that lead is dead and high antimony leas is springy, at least to a degree.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I believe there are too many variables to come to any axiom on this one! The variables as I see them are.....alloy composition, casting temperature, heat treatment, boolit design, sizing die size relationship to the boolit being sized, and well, prolly the phase of the moon!
    I'm going to agree with everything Shuz said ... except the last sentence!
    EW

Boolit Man
    To come up with an answer as to springback, you might want to measure the sizing die opening first.

Sailman

I have a sample boolit that has a flaw line on it at which point it expanded somewhat.

That reflection line is the flaw. It's like a crack that covers about half the circumference, starting and ending at the base. This boolit has been swaged and sized.

(It's lead alloy, not brass!)
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''