Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W model 624

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Well, other than the throats being a bit generous, the 624 looks good. It is unfired in the box. It now has a modest down payment on it. I hope it shoots....
    Have you picked it up yet? How big were the throats?

Boolit Master
    I paid my tab off at the fun shop a few days ago, I have the 624 and 2 others to have tranferred into my state now. I did measure the throats, and they are quite large, .433+". I have several .44 moulds that cast that big, including an H&G 220 gr HP mould that I hope will work in it. I will try and get a pic as soon as I can.

Boolit Master
    I just measured most of my 24-3 and 624 models with a "minus" pin gauge set. These are 3", 4", and 6.5" guns. The cylinder throats vary between 0.430+" and 0.432+". The 0.433-" pin would not go into a single cylinder. Although these are certainly large measurements each cylinder was consistent. I simply size for each particular gun and have no problems with accuracy.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

I have two 624's (a 6½" and a 4") as well as a 6½" Model 24:

These are SUPERB revolvers by any rational standard! Go for it!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...uns/photo4.jpg

After all winter of paying on them, here is Saturdays haul. From top, the 6-1/2" 624, 625 Classic 5" .45 Colt. Freedom Arms model 353 Silhouette .357 mag.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking bunch of revolvers!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I had asked about a 624 on here sometime back. I bought it.
    Even with slightly undersize boolits (.428 at the widest) and slightly oversize throats (I'm trying to measure with calipers, so it's impossible to get an exact read, but they seem to be
    .432-.433) it's a shooter.
    Took it to the range last week, 429421 and 7.0 grn. Universal put 5 in one ragged hole off sandbags. The 6th was out about 2.5". Not sure if it was me or the gun (probably me). I need to shoot a few more groups with it when I get time. I'd love to run up on somebody with a set of pin guages and determine exactly what the throats are.

Boolit Grand Master

Potsy;
    It is a bit harder to do, but you can remove the cylinder and tap soft lead slugs through the cylinder throats. Then you measure them with a micrometer (it will be more accurate than a dial caliper).

When you use a micrometer, be careful to not "squeeze" the soft lead slug (it is easy to get an erroneous reading if you are not careful).

My 624's work extremely well with a 250 gr Keith bullet (Lyman 429421 or H&G #503 sized at .430") behind my "standard" Skeeter load (7.5 grs of Unique behind the Keith). This was shot at 25 yards, standing.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Dang Dale! You obviously get in more practice than I do. I shot mine at 25 yards, but I sure didn't do it "off my hind feet".
    My group was similar, but my flyer was about 2.5" to the right.
    I've got some round balls I can melt down for a slug. I'll give that a whirl.
    Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    dubber:

NICE "haul" indeed !

Jerry

Boolit Master
    Dale :

I have put any of your posts on my "IGNORE" list if they include any target photos !

I could not produce one that looked like that if I had it in my hand and poked it with a pencil !

Jerry
    Last edited by GLL; 04-21-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    I don't think I could either Jerry. None of my 5 will do it. Course maybe it's operator error
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Have both a 3" and 6 1/2" 624, guess I'm just not smart enough, but never checked the throats. Both guns shoot better than I can with H&G 503 and SR4756. Will continue to aquire mote as the opportunities present themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12