RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 624

Boolit Master

S&W model 624

Does anyone have any experience with the S&W model 624? Put together right?, specs within reason? The local shop has one, a 6-1/2" that I am considering. I was mostly interested in owners takes on their quality and accuracy. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Sorry the closest I have is a model 24 thats at least 30 years old.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master

You might want to read the S&W forum: http://smith-wessonforum.com/tags/629.html
    There was a recall on some of the 624's.
    EW

Moderator Emeritus

I had one from the mid 90's. I enjoyed it but my 5 1/2" redhawk out shot it with every load I tried. I no longer own it. AIRC the recall was on the first models produced for poor steel.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Smith Mod 1985 Target

Dubber,
    I have a 6.5" Mod S&W Mod 1985 Target...which is nothing more than a 6.5" 624. These are great guns...with standard 12,000-14,000psi loads this revolver will shoot under 2" at 25 yards....with standard loads, recoil is modest. One of my favorite loads is a 200 gr wadcutter (yes, full wadcutter like the 148gr .38s) that I cast in an old 2 cavity Lee mould. I use 4.0 gr of Bullseye.. Velocity is around 700fps. Accuracy from a rest is around 1" at 25 yards. Another load that is a little snappier is a cast 240gr SWC in front of 5.0 gr Bullseye..velocity is around 800fps.
    These are great guns....However, even though you can load these revolvers much hotter, if you do..you probably should buy a 29 or 629.
    If the local revolver is priced right, you can't go wrong with one of these fine revolvers.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the S&W model 624? Put together right?, specs within reason?... I was mostly interested in owners takes on their quality and accuracy...
    I had 4" version for a few years. I liked it. It started out dismally enough, though. (It was a Lear Siegler era gun.) Undersized throats, didn't carry up, bore/chamber alignment was out by a good .008" or more. But once I got it straightened out, it became one of my favorites.

If you have the opportunity to examine it in person, I would do so quite thoroughly. During that whole Bangor Punta/Lear Siegler era, S&W was not known for its dedication to quality...

Boolit Master
    dubber:

I own a number of the 624 and 24 S&Ws and love them ! None of mine have any of the problems outlined above.

NOTE WELL ! There were indeed a VERY few made with out-of-spec steel in the cylinders ! If the gun you are interested in has the original box look for a red "C" stamped on it. The red "C" indicates all is well. If you do not have the box call KATE at S&W (and only KATE) and give her the serial number. She will confirm if the gun was in the recall series with the poor steel cylinders.

The 6.5 inch 624's I own are very accurate !

Jerry

4" 624
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Nice grips!
    Glen

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up 624 = Great Revolver!

Gents-
    I searched for years for an excellent condition S&W 44Special of any sort, and came to the conclusion that California is/was the land of the 357Mag, unless you shot an autoloader, which I cannot bear. I ultimately found a new 624, 61/2", at the SanFrancisco Gun Exchange in the late 1980's, and parted with a large amount of funds to make it mine. I found it to be superb in every way, and it shot any load I fed it with great accuracy, making me look like a better marksman than I am. Fit, finish, and feel were exactly what you expect of a N-frame Smith- there was nothing better available in my mind. For years, it was my powerhouse revolver, sharing its stable with Model 15, 19, 27, and 25-2 Smiths.
    As time passed, I noticed that I used it less frequently, and decided that I am too much of a traditionalist to own and shoot a stainless revolver. I just didn't want to be seen at the range with a silver gun!!! Traditional revolvers are BLUE, and nothing else, in my eyes, but that is just my opinion, and mine alone. After not shooting it at all for over 5 years, I ended up giving it to a fine young man who accompanied me on my last hunting trip to New Zealand, and who now works for me as an Underwriter. He will care for and treasure this revolver and pass it on to his son someday (I have no sons). The big Smith has never had a jacketed bullet through it, and since I continue to provide all the ammo, never will.
    About a year ago, I decided I still wanted, or needed, a 44Special Smith, and it had to be BLUE. Nothing else would do-- so-- I had too many 357 Smiths, and decided to sacrifice a pristine 4" Model 27-- shipped it off to Mr Hamilton Bowen (THE revolversmith of the century in my book) for conversion to 44Special. The barrel was bored, the cylinder rebored, and the entire revolver was rebuilt into the BLUE 44Special of my dreams. It is perfect in every way, and Bowen's action job has to be the best ever!!! Only the checkering on the barrel rib and top and backstrap give away this revolver's heritage as a Model 27, and make it just that much more Special-
    I find that I use my 4" revolvers more than the longer versions, and now ALL my Smiths are blue, as they should be, in my twisted mind.
    Friends, if you can tolerate the modern look of a stainless revolver, you cannot find a better 44Special anywhere, at any price, than a clean, well-maintained 624, of any barrel length. There is plenty of room in this world for stainless revolvers, just not at my house! I recently traded my 686 for a 19, for the very same reason-
    If you buy the Smith 624 you will be happy with it, and it will give excellent service for the rest of your life. Buy the Smith, be happy you did, and shoot it often.
    If you ever need custom revolver work, look up Hamilton Bowen in Tennesee. You will be glad you did!!!
    Just an old man's opinion, but it's my opinion, and it's good enough for me-

Chuck 358wcf

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. I was aware of the run with the out of spec cylinders, they were from a period of time in 1985. The box and paperwork is available with this gun. The shop owner won't have any issues with me looking it over carefully. I haven't bought any handguns off him, due to the struggle, (and $$), of getting them shipped from N.Y.), but I have come to the conclusion that if I ever want some of these less seen guns, I should buy them when I find them. He puts me on the poor boy EZ pay plan also, which helps immensely. Thanks again fellas.

Boolit Master

Dubber, You better race right over and pick that up before I beat ya to it. Just kidding. have you been down Church st. lately? 358wcf, I'd be curious to know what your Ham Bowen job cost - Not that I couldn't call him for myself. I have a 5 inch model 27 that i have considered the same modifications for, for years. Fun to hear about it. I really like the 5 inch Smiths.
    Last edited by square butte; 10-29-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    A photo of a BLUE one for 358wcf !

Chuck: This is a pre-Model 24 (4th Model Target of 1950).

Jerry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    A photo of a BLUE one for 358wcf !

Chuck: This is a pre-Model 24 (4th Model Target of 1950).

Jerry

I have the same one, but the grips are non-checkered and of a lighter color. Using a variety od std type .44 Spl loads I find it is not as accurate as is my Model 29 or Ruger SBH...this puzzled me. The other two pistols are .44 Mags, why did the .44 Spl ammo shoot more accuratley through them...I checked the cylinder throats---and soon found out. The Model 24 are at .432"; the Model 29 & Ruger SBH are @ .430". As I don't have any sizer dies at .432" (I do size/lube to .431") . Next year I'll shoot the 24 with pan lubed unsized bullets to see it that will make the difference.

Boolit Master
    dubber123,

I have two Lew Horton .44 Specials, a 6 1/2" Model 624 and a 3" Model 24, and wouldn't part with either one. Both have large, .432" throats, which, I understand, was the S&W norm, back in 1985. The 624 is not on the recall list, and the 24 is complete with its orignal holster.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Wally, looks like we were typing about cylinder throat sizes, at the same time.

Boolit Master
    Wally:

Does yours happen to have a red insert front sight like this one ? Just curious ?

Jerry

Boolit Master
    No---it doesn't..

Boolit Master
    I think I will grab the calipers and go to the shop tomorrow. I have to put some more money down on the last one anyways, a S&W 625 Classic, 5" .45 Colt. Serial # 146 of approx 1,500. Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how it looks.

Nah....

....I really don't like N-frame .44 Specials....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 inch 24s.jpg  
    Glen

Boolit Master
    Well, other than the throats being a bit generous, the 624 looks good. It is unfired in the box. It now has a modest down payment on it. I hope it shoots....

Boolit Master
    It will shoot very well with the Remington 246 grain factory .44 Spl load as the bullet is on the large size and almost pure lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast