Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1893 v. 1895 Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    anything with a red primer sealant is corrosive.
    I respectfully question that statement. I have gotten many boxes of rifle cartridges from Hanson that had red primer sealant. I had believed that they were non-corrosive Boxer ammo. I have also bought several lots of surplus ammo from places like Cheaper Thank Dirt & Sportsman's Guide that had primer sealant on them & were sold as non-corrosive.

Can anyone else chime in with more information on this subject?
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 08-23-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammar
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I respectfully question that statement. I have gotten many boxes of rifle cartridges from Hanson that had red primer sealant. I had believed were non-corrosive Boxer ammo. I have also bought several lots of surplus ammo from places like Cheaper Thank Dirt & Sportsman's Guide that had primer sealant on them & were sold as non-corrosive.

Can anyone else chime in with more information on this subject?

My list of US small arms ammo is the definitive list from US Govt sources. For foreign military, many countries relied on corrosive primers long after we quit them on the belief that the corrosive primers lasted longer than non-corrosive.

IIRC, the definitive test for the primers is to pull the bullet and powder from a case, then fire the case/primer against a clean steel plate. Leave the plate in a warm humid environment for 4 to 5 days and you'll quickly learn whether the primer is corrosive. Really definitive is to use a known corrosive round, a known non-corrosive and a clean steel plate as "standards" against which the unknown is tested.

Super Moderator

.............You can also pull the slug, dump the powder then invert the case over a common nail driven through a board. Set off the primer and check the nail the next day. One of the 2-fer 1895 Steyrs I got from Century back in the 90's had a well used barrel (later I re-barreled and chambered it 30-40 Krag). I had a sizeable quantity of original Austrian 8x56R ammo (it was very cheap) then. I'd fired them both at the range and cleaned the decent shooter. The other was simply leaned against the bench. The next day when I went out to the shop there was dark orange rust practically GROWING out of the muzzle Long before digital cameras were cheap and common (meaning I didn't have one!) or I'd have taken a picture of it!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    I know i am coming to this topic a little late but I am curious as to where my rifle fits into the ones you were talking about a few years ago. I think it is an 1893 but I'm not sure. It is sporterized so i realize that can make it a little more difficult.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	59857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	59858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	59859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	59860

Thank you for any help
    Justin

Boolit Master

It's a Chilean crest. But without seeing the bolt face, squared bottom versus round, I can't say. I've showed photos of each in this thread so you can make that determination yourself.

The side rail address is the generic and not Chilean. Why this is I can't say.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I've speculated that some families in the U.S. named Love are descended from Loewes. Probably some Lewises are, too. Lots of German names got Anglicized around the WWI period.
    Uh... Myers (my last name) and my mother's maiden name - Foltz - maybe originally Voltz... If you look at a German phone book, Myers and Foltz (and derivatives) are like Smith and Jones here!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    It's a Chilean crest. But without seeing the bolt face, squared bottom versus round, I can't say. I've showed photos of each in this thread so you can make that determination yourself.

The side rail address is the generic and not Chilean. Why this is I can't say.

Dutch
    The bolt face is rounded, but has no markings. I do not think it is original. I thought it was odd that there were only 2 digits to the serial number and no letters... since all others I have seen are not like this.

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Dutchman
    I will be uploading a few photos of a Mauser with markings I have not seen before. It will be interesting to see where this Mauser fits in..here is a question in this regard I asked on other forums.

Good day members.

I need some assistance in identifying a unique Boere Mauser.

Scenario: Correct me if I am wrong, the 7x57 Mauser my fore -fathers , the Boer fighters used in the Anglo Boer war used was the split-bridge Mauser? The Model 1893/1895 Mauser chambered for the 7×57 cartridge.

A very old person , 84 years of age handed a 7x57 Mauser in yesterday at the gunsmith shop. Attached to the 7x57 Mauser is a story. During the Anglo Boer war his grandfather used this Mauser in war. His horse was shot dead under him , the bullet traveled through his leg and through the horse.

He fell and was taken as prisoner by the English( British soldiers) Fortunately the Mauser rifle, the saddle with the hole in was recovered by his fellow Boer fighters. His grand child, the old person unfortunately do not have sons and can not hand the 7 x 57 Mauser to a son of his...so now he gave it to the gunsmith shop.

Coming back to the scenario: Split bridge Mausers, the Model 1893/1895....but what now if the 7x 57 Mauser has a M89 action, build by the Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionfabriken Berlin, the serial number being no 31. Another strange making is the three circles staggered as a triangle on every part of this 7x 57 Mauser.

Left hand side of back sights is a C7mm marking.
    Left side of receiver 3 x crowns, 2,4 gG.B.P under this marking is ST.m.G

Is this a custom made Mauser in the 1889 era for someone to used in the Ango-Boer war, three year war in South Africa?

I really would like to hear from any one who can tell me more about this rifle.

My take on this rifle: It can be a O.V.S Mauser...

Regards

Gert

Boolit Master
    German made Spanish 1893 Mauser. I have never seen one of these in really nice condition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wm_8109668.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	157799

Orange Free State Marked

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61fb92f0de9fa003f2182ce5a00c0160.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	157800

Check this one out. I cannot get it to link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/joseyclosey/rifles/7mm%20OVS/brora2012152.jpg

Last edited by EDG; 01-10-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Another Photo of the DWM dated 1897 and marked OVS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ora2012152.jpg
    EDG

ive heard theories that spain scrubbed the German markings off their german made mausers when they refurbished them, while this could be possible, i think the Span-Am war had more to do with the lack of German made spanish 93s in good condition.

on a side note Bannerman bought up all the captured spanish arms he could and resold them, which probably explains all the battered Spanish rolling blocks found in the U.S.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Dutchman
    I will be uploading a few photos of a Mauser with markings I have not seen before. It will be interesting to see where this Mauser fits in..here is a question in this regard I asked on other forums.

Good day members.

I need some assistance in identifying a unique Boere Mauser.

Scenario: Correct me if I am wrong, the 7x57 Mauser my fore -fathers , the Boer fighters used in the Anglo Boer war used was the split-bridge Mauser? The Model 1893/1895 Mauser chambered for the 7×57 cartridge.

A very old person , 84 years of age handed a 7x57 Mauser in yesterday at the gunsmith shop. Attached to the 7x57 Mauser is a story. During the Anglo Boer war his grandfather used this Mauser in war. His horse was shot dead under him , the bullet traveled through his leg and through the horse.

He fell and was taken as prisoner by the English( British soldiers) Fortunately the Mauser rifle, the saddle with the hole in was recovered by his fellow Boer fighters. His grand child, the old person unfortunately do not have sons and can not hand the 7 x 57 Mauser to a son of his...so now he gave it to the gunsmith shop.

Coming back to the scenario: Split bridge Mausers, the Model 1893/1895....but what now if the 7x 57 Mauser has a M89 action, build by the Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionfabriken Berlin, the serial number being no 31. Another strange making is the three circles staggered as a triangle on every part of this 7x 57 Mauser.

Left hand side of back sights is a C7mm marking.
    Left side of receiver 3 x crowns, 2,4 gG.B.P under this marking is ST.m.G

Is this a custom made Mauser in the 1889 era for someone to used in the Ango-Boer war, three year war in South Africa?

I really would like to hear from any one who can tell me more about this rifle.

My take on this rifle: It can be a O.V.S Mauser...

Regards

Gert
    hello Gert

The 1893 and 1895 Mausers are not "split bridge". The 1871 and 71/84 are split bridge. I'm also a little confused as to what you're referring to as a "M89 action".

Photos would go along ways.

Dutch

Gewehr 1888s Commission rifles are "split bridge", but NOT Mausers....
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    There is an excellent book, "The Boer War" by Thomas Packenham that goes into depth about how the Dutch used their 7x57's to deadly effect against the British. It is an amazing story. The Brits entered the war expecting it to last two weeks. It lasted almost three. It is a great read.

Boolit Master

here is another 7x57 model 95....all matching serial numbers including the cleaning rod.
    cartouche on the stock reads 1902....there is no cartouche stamped on narrow edge of the right side of the stock
    Attachment 158140Attachment 158141Attachment 158142Attachment 158143Attachment 158144
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Dutchman;735700](As an aside- I believe the Ludwig Loewe Mausers are the finest built, best finished Mausers ever made in the world. The quality was never surpassed).

Interesting that this thread has been revived. After reading the first post, I have come to the conclusion this excerpt to be true. Although there have been so many iterations of a "Mauser", the Chilean M1895 by Loewe has to be one of the finest if not the finest.

I am no Mauser expert, but did come up with a very nice Chilean M1895 a few years ago. All matching and possibly never fired. The stock still has "whiskers". It is as described by the real experts for an original and complete 1895 Loewe gun but instead of a "double anchor" mark on the stock at the right port opening, it has what appears to be an "arrow" mark?

Boolit Master
    Ah Hansen Cartridge Company, there is a name I haven't seen in print in some years. Back when they were importing ammo before the Yugoslavian wars of genocide if the primer sealant was red and had a domed or round top of the primer it is corrosive primed. I have a bunch of yugo 7.62x54r heavy ball with the red sealant and domed or round top primer and it is corrosive despite what some people say (usually at gun shows). If it has a green sealant and a flat topped primer it is non corrosive boxer primed. I have a bunch of Hansen Cartridge Company 303 British and 7.62x54r that fit the above description. They also imported 6.5x55 Swedish mauser,7mm mauser, and 7.62x39 as boxer primed. While the first two a are of yugo manufacture the 7.62x39 was actually made by IMI or Israel Military Industries. The first two had the NNY or PPU headstamp and the third was stamped IMI along with the caliber. There was a bunch of corrosive primed yugo ammo imported years ago and I believe it was stated to have come from Yugoslavia during one of the periods when sanctions were imposed there and the red sealant was a dead give away as to where it came from. Frank

Boolit Master
    Hansen also sold 8X57 ammo with the IK headstamp for Igman. It does not seem to be the same quality as the PPU ammo.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by txpete View Post
    The Ludwig Loewe company merged with Mauser in 1896 to become Deutsche Waffen und Muntionsfabriken or DWM. (German weapons and munitions factory).

the way I understand it he was phased out the hard way because he was a jew.also if you look at his rifles they have the star of david on them.I sold a mint one(1895) to a buddy last year in 7x57.it was a very accurare rifle.
    pete

I suggest you read the Mauser story and history in Jon Speeds book "Original Mauser Sporting rifles" Loewe made plenty of money out of Mauser as they were supposed to manufacture Rifles for Turkey but never did many so Mauser had to pick up the slack yet Loewe got the payment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123