Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M 1 Grand what to look for

Boolit Master

M 1 Grand what to look for

guys i'm thinking real hard about getting a M1Grand but i don't know anything about them I see that a few company made them is one better then the other I would like to find one that my Dad may have used in WW2 he went in the army spring of 1944 if you can point me in the right direction i would appreciate
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

They are all good. Some are considered more collectible than others, but if you are looking for a shooter then it doesn't matter. Lots of info here, you could read for weeks http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

Boolit Master

not looking for a safe queen just a shooter thank you for the links

The late H&R's are "finished" the nice. Buy one from the cmp forum. The guys who sell them can tell you exactly what they have and they are priced well. Good luck, they are fun. I just bought one a few months ago.

Boolit Master
    Another source (when they have them) is Antique and Modern Firearms of Lexington Kentucky (They have a web site). I bought my Garand from Charles at A&M. He and his partner sell used rifles and pistols-- they are not a big company. They are super honest and will tell you exactly what is good and bad about what they have. I bought my Garand sight-unseen just on his word that I would love it, and he was right.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I know it was mentioned above, but if you are looking for a M1 to be a shooter the Service Grade Garands from the CMP are really hard to beat. I have gotten two over the last few years and have paperwork in on a third. First was a seemingly all correct HRA from '54 with that aged green park on everything and a damn near new barrel. Second was a Dec '42 receiver with '43 barrel and the rest a solid mix master. It is currently the one I shoot tons of cast out of. The plans for the 3rd is to use it as a FMJ gun with the intent of getting into rifle matches. It can be a heavy wait times and you have to jump through some paperwork hoops but they have done right by me in the past and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Plus, $730 (current pricing) isn't too bad of a deal for what you get.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
    Side note, once you are in the system you can order surplus M2 ball from the estore. Again, there can be some waiting involved but still is a pretty good deal.
    -Tim in Rip City

To more directly answer your original question there can be several things to look for either for collector purposes or from a shooters perspective. For shooters probably the big key things would be the fit of the stock, both in solid lock up at the rear and not being too tight up front against the gas system. Then making sure it headspaces, people will swap around bolts to "correct" them to the receiver date and at times this can give some headspace problems. Its a good idea to get a new spring set since aging clip latch, clip ejector and op rod springs can do some wacky things to these rifles. I have always been happy with the spring sets from Orion but have heard good things about the Fulton Armory sets as well. There are probably a million other things more experienced Garand shooters can add to all of this, those are just a few off the top of my head that seem to come up with folks often.
    -Tim in Rip City

Boolit Buddy
    When you get one you will join the addiction and be wanting one in .308 too.

Moderator Emeritus

I will offer that there's one thing you definitely NEED look for: Many, many M1 Garands were "de-milled", mostly with their receivers cut in half. Entrepreneurs have purchased this scrap and welded the halves back together. My friend, Hughie, unknowingly purchased one which has a Springfield half and an International Harvester half, welded, as its receiver! I took it to a very reputable M1 expert, who strongly advised it NEVER even be attempted to be shot.
    All I'm writing is they ARE "out there", as proven by Hughie's acquisition. Sadly, too, a good many current, honest gun dealers are totally ignorant of this practice, purveying them not knowledgeable at all of this practice. You may wish to Google welded M1s... I have a Springfield Armory from Clint McKee at Fulton Armory; Fulton put a new Krieger barrel and furniture on it, tuned it, and it is a dream to shoot. One "bottom line" is that if you get a decent, NOT-welded receiver, there are enough parts still available to make a super-shooter out of it.
    BEST wishes!
    george

I see Garands at gun shows and gun stores routinely. The best source to try first is the CMP. Other than checking the action, looking at muzzle wear, and checking the wood fit, there are few other visual checks. I got one from the CMP in 1998. It was made by Springfield Armory in 1943. Upgrades were done during the Korean war and the rifle was then sent to Denmark in 1955. The muzzle had a chip out of it and shot with marginal accuracy. I bought a used barrel from CMP and had it installed by a local Garand experienced gunsmith. It shoots with great accuracy and has been very reliable. You will really enjoy this part of American history!
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master

And of course you know they multiply, fair warning!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7100231.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I would recommend the CMP all the way. I don't know how far away you are from Camp Perry/Port Clinton, OH. and right now the reports on inventory in the north store are kind of bleak but if I was able to make a trip to the store then I would watch the north store forum and as soon as they had a good selection I would make the trip.
    Being able to pick out your rifle is usually better than taking luck-of-the-draw by ordering. I bought mine in 2010 at the south store and it was a trip that I'll never forget. The racks were full of M-1s... I don't know how many maybe 500... all grades even the Service Grade Specials.
    At the store you can borrow a muzzle wear gauge and pick through what ever rifles that are out and if one interests you, take it to the armorer's counter and one of them will strip it if you ask him nice and explain what you have.
    Be sure and have all the required documents with you and if you're not a member of an affiliated club I think that you can join the Garand Collectors at the store.
    Also if they still have the sealed spam cans of HXP buy all that you can even if you only plan on shooting cast... they are only going to go up in value.
    You never know what else they may have available... bayonets, other ammo, slings, target 22s, '03s... don't forget to buy plenty of enblock clips too.

Boolit Master
    Just do the paperwork and order a Service Grade from the CMP, its worth the wait. You will get a gun that is in good enough shape to be issued to a soldier to fight in battle, thats why they are called service grades.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy
    CMP rifles are thoroughly inspected, including muzzle and throat erosion, then graded as "service grade" (meets all standards for issue to the troops), "rack grade" (operable and safe condition but excessive throat or muzzle erosion), etc. Any rifle that is in all original condition (unaltered) is a collector grade and likely set aside for auction to highest bidder. Nearly all M1 rifles have been through at least one arsenal overhaul, and very few remain in all original condition.

Many M1 rifles went out on lend-lease type programs after WW2 and were maintained by the nation using them (Denmark, Italy, Germany, and other NATO countries). These will be encountered with parts and barrels manufactured abroad. South Korea continues to hold many thousands of US M1 rifles, but political opposition has prevented their return to the US.

About 6.5 million produced by Winchester and Springfield Armory (WW2), H&R and International Harvester (Korean vintage). Probably at least 4 million remain in existence. As others have pointed out, be wary of reassembled cut receivers. I recommend CMP as the best source because of authenticity and inspection regimens.

Of more than a dozen CMP rifles I have received the best shooter, beyond comparison, is a Danish rifle. WW2 SA rifle overhauled in the 1960's with new Danish barrel and stock, went into storage, then returned to the US by Denmark. With GI ball ammo that rifle will consistently hold 1.5" groups at 100 yards from the bench. One of about 20,000 such rifles, so a little bit of history there.

One of my Winchesters is the "Win-13" series, during which Winchester and Springfield Armory duplicated several thousand serial numbers.

Everything I have received from CMP has been trouble free as far as operation and correct functioning. Some are more accurate than others, but none have been bad.

Boolit Grand Master

There are several things to check but with out the proper gauges its hard. Ther is a gace that is pushed in to the reviecer tat checks or determines the actions timing and when the bolt releases. Throat gages measure the errosion in a given barrel. Muzzle gages measure cleaning rod wear. There is a gage to measure wear in the gas cylinder bore also. ( Some rifles with alot of use and or poorly fitted op rods are egg shaped ) Fitt of action into stock and forends fit makes a big diffrence in accuracy. One quik easy check is to pull the op rod spring and follower reassemble with op rod in place. Tipping rifle muzzle down 30*-45*the bolt should close and lock tipping muzzle up up same and it should open. This shows everything is free and not in a bind. Look at the lug on the bolt for excessive wear where it contacts the op rod. This should be lubed with a heavy grease ( mil specs were for plasti lube). As stated CMP has good rifles and can tell you errosion reading muzzle readng and they make sure they are tmed and good to go ussually.

Boolit Master

I came across a Winchester S/N 1283011 can some one tell me when it was made also wood and barrel look Great asking price is $1400

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast