Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 45 is in, what else ?

Boolit Master

45 is in, what else ?

Hi to all. My SS 45 Colt 5.5 is ready for pickup on 5 DEC 2009!
    This guy has some really great prices but his "in house store " is only open on Saturdays.

I would appreciate advise on what I should look for (relative to the 45) as this is a long drive for me, an estimate of decent prices to pay would be appreciated.

I know I will be looking for 296, 2400 and Unique powder. What are good prices to pay per pound, if prices or good, I intend to buy a lot but I want it in 1 lb cans for storage?

Boolit Bub
    Congrats, sir, and we look forward to pics. Sounds like you've got your powder figured out; only thing I would add would be maybe some WW231, Titegroup, or Bullseye for powder puff loads. And all the primers you can lay hands on!

Boolit Master
    Locally I find alliant powders at around $19 a pound. Primers are still very difficult to come by. You will find primers at around $30 to even $40 per 1000 which is absoultely rediculous.

Indeed... availability is going to be your guide more than price. If you have to consider powders other than your first choices, Red Dot, Herco, and SR4756 also work well in the .45LC. And if you're looking to experiment with max loadings for the Ruger, I'd favor 2400 or IMR4227 over 296 any day-- 296 is a magnum pressure powder, and really not suitable at all for a .45LC gun. Both 2400 and 4227 have the ability of being loaded to lower pressures like those found in the LC; 296 does not.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    I know I will be looking for 296, 2400 and Unique powder.
    With respect, 296 shouldn't even catch your eye as you walk by.

Banned

there's a reason they call them colt loads and ruger loads.
    please keep them in the 15k or under range.

Boolit Grand Master

Changeling;
    I wouldn't suggest WHAT you should pay (it varies to much region to region for me to attempt to give meaningful advice).

However, I CAN agree with the fellows above regarding powder choice. My new SS Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible will be shot mostly with target loads in the winter (we have power limits on our indoor range) and .45 Colt "standard" loads, so fast burning to midrange powders work well for me.

Hodgdon Powder offers loads with H110 and Win 296 in "Ruger Only" loads but check out the pressures on these. They are at the 30,000 psi mark. It takes this to get these slow burning ball powders (in revolvers) burning correctly. Hodgdon does NOT offer ANY H110 or 296 in regular .45 Colt loads.

In Handloader, issue #263 (the current one) Brian Pearce has a nice article on three of his favorite cartridges including the .45 Colt. I recommend it to you.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    My fault, I forgot to say that it is a "Ruger BlackHawk SS 5.5" in 45". I just listed it as a SS 45Colt 5.5". Everyone saw the "45 Colt" and assumed it was a Colt revolver, it's not.

Sorry for not labeling it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Indeed... availability is going to be your guide more than price. If you have to consider powders other than your first choices, Red Dot, Herco, and SR4756 also work well in the .45LC. And if you're looking to experiment with max loadings for the Ruger, I'd favor 2400 or IMR4227 over 296 any day-- 296 is a magnum pressure powder, and really not suitable at all for a .45LC gun. Both 2400 and 4227 have the ability of being loaded to lower pressures like those found in the LC; 296 does not.
    Yeah well, I'll stick with John Linebaugh's recommendations. And BTW, 30K leaves a 100% safety margin as to what a .45 Blackhawk can handle............................................ ................

I've used the following slugs because they handle 98% of my shooting requirements. Heavier slugs can be used but are not needed and will make the powders listed with burning rates faster than H-110 and WW 296 act even more radically. Too heavy a slug, seated too deeply in the case can cause #2400 to act like Unique and Unique to act like Bullseye. Small increases in powder charges can result in dramatic pressure jumps. For any serious heavy handloads I use only H-110 and WW 296 powders. These are the 2 most stable powders we have for this reloading application. Our pressure testing has proven both powders to be absolutely stable up to 60,000 CUP. Steady, smooth and no pressure spikes. Other powders can be used but great caution is advised.. John Linebaugh speaking of bullet weights from 225 to 350 grs.....Heed HIS advice!.....JMO, Dennis
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 12-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Red dot imr 4227 2400 and unique for starters, make sure you slug the cylinder right away, good luck you will love the gun once you get it dialed in.

Boolit Master
    I have gone away from 2400 and run to Lil'Gun in my 22 hornet and 45LC. Same or better speed and less pressure.

Boolit Master
    Well now they are calling for snow in Maryland so it might effect my decision to take the trip to pick up my revolver (long drive). Now before anyone says a little snow never hurt anyone you haven seen drivers in Maryland. Some know how to drive in it and lots DONT, thats why they call this area and DC the "mixing bowl", there are drivers from all over the country that move here because they work for the government.
    Now into all this you can add the cell phones stuck in body parts and it becomes a Dam nightmare, even without the snow I might add.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    I have gone away from 2400 and run to Lil'Gun in my 22 hornet and 45LC. Same or better speed and less pressure.
    Same here. Much lower pressure and accuracy has been great.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    Same here. Much lower pressure and accuracy has been great.
    Everyone has an opinion, to some I guess it will keep your hands warm also,

Boolit Grand Master

Unique is great for a wide range of low to fairly warm loads.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.