MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are there any cons to bevel base bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    Ya, and I did a lot of that too and most shooters on the line including myself, didn't keep very many within that X-ring. Most of us were happy to just keep all or most rounds within the 9-ring with a few finding the 10-ring and damn few finding the X-ring.
    With all due respect, I'm not most shooters.
    Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master
    One "con" regarding BB design goes back to one of the above sited "pro's"; they are easier to set into the cases at the press while cranking out bulk ammo. Try as I may to detect and cull split cases when picking-up brass, washing brass, drying brass, etc; on occasion I either miss one or the "M" die creats one. That split case will not retain its flare, a plain base boolit will not seat in such case mouth with typical technique, a belveled design often will set into that case. If that loaded split case round is not detected, the poorly retained bullet is at risk for being driven deeply into the case when chambered. A possible KABOOM is nothing to invite. Be ever alert when loading.

prs

In Remembrance
    Bevel base not good for pan lubing. I think I read all the posts and was surprised no one mentioned this.
    Doesn't anybody pan lube anymore?
    What ever happened to my Transylvania twist?

I certainly don't have a fraction of the experience here! My only attempts at serious accuracy with cast bullets was trying to sight in a scope on my Winchester Trapper .44 using handloads and commercial 240gr. BB LSWC cast bullets.

My accuracy was awful, bullets were hitting all over the target and sighting in the scope was impossible. I even tried a different scope with the same results. I then scrubbed the barrel 'til it gleamed, and switched to Winchester Silvertip jacketed hollowpoint bullets. World of difference! At 100 yds. I can put all shots into a playing card.

So, I can't say whether it's a problem with the bullet size vs. bore size, or if it's the bevel base of the bullets, but I'm not going to shoot them in my rifle anymore. I'll use them in my revolver. When I start casting .44 bullets they'll be flat-based. If my Winchester likes those, the remaining bb's will likely get melted down and recast.

Boolit Master
    Commercial cast bullets often shoot terribly because they are too small, too hard and the lube they use is terrible. The absolute most horrendous leading I've ever had was with commercial hard cast 357 pistol bullets in my 35 whelen. Long strips of lead all the way down the barrel. Casting my own bullets properly sized and lubed resulted in 10 shot 1" groups at 50 yds.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234