Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any cons to bevel base bullets?

Boolit Master

Are there any cons to bevel base bullets?

In getting a bullet for the 45 LC is there any down side to getting a bevel base design. I like the idea of protecting the base of the bullet as much as possible even though one flairs the case before seating the bullet. However I notice a lot of you guys just use flat base so I thought I better ask.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    In getting a bullet for the 45 LC is there any down side to getting a bevel base design. I like the idea of protecting the base of the bullet as much as possible even though one flairs the case before seating the bullet. However I notice a lot of you guys just use flat base so I thought I better ask.
    Yeah, there's a con...it opens a can of worms on this forum between those who like them and those that don't. The stories that will unfold are harder to lube in the Lyman/RCBS type luber/sizers because lube is left around the bevel, they lead your barrel, and the one I love best they aren't as accurate as flat base. Don't believe all of it. If you like them, use them. Make your own conclusions.

Joe

Like Starmetal said, best to just try both ways yourself because you'll get so many different opinions here.
    Personally I don't care much either way. I don't believe the bit about plain base always being more accurate. Yes, the bevel base can cause troubles in a lubersizer, but this is easily cured by using one of the boolits to hole-punch a piece of shotgun wad down into the sizer die. The edges of the wad material will protect the bevel base from lube, and you can adjust the die so the wad doesn't come out with each boolit.

I use the Lyman 200gr. swc bb boolit in my .45 Colt New Service with very good acuracy, next to no leading, and no adverse problems. Works good in my .45 auto too, (just like it was designed for).
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    Case in point. I have two wadcutters for .357/.38 they are the bevel base 358091 and the flat base 358089 (or is it 358087?). They both go through my Lyman 45 (the old model) lubrisizer, the bevel base doesn't get any lube in the bevel. They both shoot the same, that is I can't shoot well enough to discern any difference.

The bevel base loads just a tad easier, but not enough difference that I care. Neither has a propensity for leaving Pb in a barrel or forcing cone.

As far as I can tell, no difference other than looks, and the bevel isn't seen after its loaded.

I also push my wadcutters hard in .357. I don't ascribe to the theory they go to pot after 50 yards.

I do have several .45 Colt boolits, all happen to be flat base, but not by design, just happen stance.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Bub
    One theory is that the flat base seals the bore better, while a bevel base prevents obturation and allows gas to slip by, causing leading.

Another theory is that FB bullets can be more uniform in the base area after sizing than BB ones.

I use BB in autos with no problems, but prefer FB for revolvers. Seems to me that if the bullet is over bore size, the BB shouldn't matter with regard to gas leakage, but a lot of folks who know more than I do think differently.

Changeling, one of the neat things about the .45 Colt is that there about a bazillion variables to play with. I reloaded for years for the 9mm, .45ACP and .38SPL and thought it was a pretty simple process. I have learned more and done way more experimentation (and had lots more fun) since starting to load for the .45 Colt (it's the reason I started casting, too).

If no one has reccommended the RCBS 270SAA mould to you yet, GET ONE. Drops WW at 280 gr or so, improved Keith-type, shoots great over 18.0 Gr. 2400 in my guns. Should be pushing 1100 fps from your Ruger.

If you don't have them already, Handloader magazine issues # 217 June '02, 246 Apr '07, and 263 Dec "09 all have excellent articles regarding the .45 Colt. #246 also has an article regarding cast bullets for revolvers that should help you in your quest.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both kinds of bullet base designs scattered throughout my eclectic collection of moulds. I can't really say that one is superior in accuracy to the other. Kind of a non-issue for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by crgaston View Post
    One theory is that the flat base seals the bore better, while a bevel base prevents obturation and allows gas to slip by, causing leading.
    What I don't care for along this line of thinking, is that if the boolit fit properly in the first place it wouldn't be causing any leading with either style. If it were the correct diameter it would have a good seal, and wouldn't allow any blow by gasses to get ahead of the boolit. Leading problem solved.

IMHO obtrusion also only happens when the boolit, once again, doesn't fit properly.

Wikipedia:
    Obturate means to block or obstruct[1]. With reference to firearms and airguns, obturation refers to the process of a bullet or pellet, made of soft material and often with a concave base, flaring under the pressure of firing to seal the bore and engage the barrel's rifling. The mechanism by which an undersized soft metal projectile enlarges to fill the barrel is, for hollow-base bullets, due to expansion from gas pressure within the base cavity and, for solid-base bullets, upsetting - the combined shortening and thickening that occurs when a malleable metal object is struck forcibly at one end.

Proper fit, no need, no leading, no problem. Pick a style and shoot it.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Bub
    Nora, I agree with you, hence my use of the word, "theory".
    Seems to me that if the bullet is over bore size, the BB shouldn't matter with regard to gas leakage, but a lot of folks who know more than I do think differently.

Bottom line is try a bunch of different loads and find out what shoots good for you.
    Last edited by crgaston; 12-02-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Bevel base boolits generally fall out of the mould easier, thats why the commercial casters love them. They are ok unless you want to push the envelope from what I can gather. I have never had any trouble with them, but them again, I ain't the type to push the envelope.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Yeah, there's a con...it opens a can of worms on this forum between those who like them and those that don't. The stories that will unfold are harder to lube in the Lyman/RCBS type luber/sizers because lube is left around the bevel, they lead your barrel, and the one I love best they aren't as accurate as flat base. Don't believe all of it. If you like them, use them. Make your own conclusions.

Joe
    That pretty well sums up what everyone else said. I just have to give this some thought.
    If everyone wasn't being totally screwed by the cost of gas checks it would hardly be an issue. However that is no longer the case.

My neighbor is a big time hunter and has connections every where so I asked him today if he had a source for H gas checks. He's checking, but I have my doubts anything will turn up. He is strictly high power rifle!!!!! Not that I'm knocking him, I used to be, and still do have my moments and some awesome rifles. It's just that for some reason, revolvers are more to my liking.

Thanks to everyone, I got a world class lesson from this post.

Boolit Master
    This debate will rage on long after we're all gone. I've never seen any concrete evidence they are any more inaccurate or any propensity to lead more than plain based bullets. If I can get a good deal on them I jump on it.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master

wow youndering great

HI,
    I WISH I HAD THOUGHT OF THAT!!!
    I have had a bit more leading w/ bb in my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM BOOM View Post
    HI,
    I WISH I HAD THOUGHT OF THAT!!!
    I have had a bit more leading w/ bb in my guns.
    Not actually my idea, someone else on this forum suggested it. I'd tell you who, but then I'd have to ... no, actually, I just can't remember who's idea it was. It works well though and is better than using styrofoam take-out box material (although that does work too).

Bevel base bullets are great for lower pressure rounds if they're cast hard. Easier out of the mould, easier into the case... what's not to love?

Until the pressures start to mount, that is. All else being equal, a plain base will have more bearing surface than a bevel base bullet, meaning more material with which to grip rifling and a greater ability to keep a seal against the hot gasses behind it. In other words, as the pressure mounts, plain base has it all over bevel base for accuracy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Bevel base bullets are great for lower pressure rounds if they're cast hard. Easier out of the mould, easier into the case... what's not to love?

Until the pressures start to mount, that is. All else being equal, a plain base will have more bearing surface than a bevel base bullet, meaning more material with which to grip rifling and a greater ability to keep a seal against the hot gasses behind it. In other words, as the pressure mounts, plain base has it all over bevel base for accuracy.
    bwahahahahahaha bwahahahahahahahaha what a joke that is!

Joe

Banned

here's the con I hate.

when sizing and lubing in a lyman 450, I always have to wipe the bevel base off, cause it's full of lube.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post

Joe

Jeeze, this is gettin scarey.....I'm startin to agree with Starmetal Joe!!!!

I think I'll go off in the corner and suck my thumb for a while.

Jerry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Jeeze, this is gettin scarey.....I'm startin to agree with Starmetal Joe!!!!

I think I'll go off in the corner and suck my thumb for a while.

Jerry
    Well fellows, that's it with me. When Jerry starts to agree with me I've had enough.

In Remebrance

All else being equal I prefer FB boolits. I just haven't had the same results as I have had with FB. I had, may still have I forget, a Lyman or RCBS 45 200 gr mould with a BB. The base never comes out perfect it seems. On inspection the BB appears perfectly round, but the boolits do not drop uniformly round despite all my tricks and incantations. I refuse to sacrifice any of my few remaining virgins just to get a good BB. I also went through a few hundred commercially cast BB and they were nothing special, but that could be a fit issue.

For me a FB was always easier to get to shoot. Plus the BB move the CG forward and reduces bearing length. While the BB should shoot just as well as a FB, it just doens't happen for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast