Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: .22 BPCR (wannabe)

Boolit Master

Talking .22 BPCR (wannabe)

I shot the monthly BPCR gong match last Sat. For kicks, I put some Browning BPCR sights on a Winchester 1885 .22 and took it along. I had a box of regular Rem shells (OK so it's not black powder!!!). After things got quiet (match was over) and we could hear hits, we started shooting the 480 yd buffalo gong. That damn .22 did just as well as my regular BPCR but the wind (and it was fairly srong and gusty) did move it a bit. Still, it was not hard to hit. I wanted to try it at the 700 but the range closed and I had to quit. Maybe next month.
    Gus

Boolit Master

Me and moodyholler used to shoot at water filled coffee and soda cans at 2 and 3 hundred yards with his Rossi pump 22 and my marlin bolt action. Hits came fairly frequently after we figured out the hold over. I remember his Mom shooting a Ruger Mk 1 with open sights at the same cans and getting truely pi$$ed off when all she could do was throw dirt on em

That was 20 some years ago and it still sticks in my mind that if you can throw dirt on a coffee can at 300yds with a 22 pistola...well you are pretty good.

NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Interestingly enough, the sight settings for the 22 are much the same as for the blackpowder numbers, at least to about 400 yards that we tested.

Boolit Grand Master

The .22 is an amazing little caliber. If you are shooting where you can see the misses (.22's don't throw up nearly as much dirt as a 45/70 ) you can do amazingly well. I sure wouldn't want a good man (or woman) shooting at me with a .22 at ANY range.

It is a LOT of fun on a silhouette range. You want to be careful, tho', you can REALLY piss some folks off when you beat them with a .22 instead of a "real" rifle. YEAH!!!

Dale53

In Remembrance

I don't know about current manufacture ammo, but as a kid in the mid 50s I spent some time on calm days firing 22s across a dry, plowed field in front of our house at various angles to see how far the bullet would carry. An angle of 30 degrees would fall short of the fence half a mile away by at least 100 yds. Give credit for 40 yds. from the front yard to the beginning of the section line yields 730 yds. max. travel for 22 lng rifle in either win. or rem., seemingly about equal. There was a large discrepency in round to round distance traveled, probably affected by errant breezes, thermals, and variations in velocity. Angles were measured with an adjustable try square with a spirit level built in. Range 1 mile on the flap must have been lawyereese even back then.