RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: priming tools what are you using?

Boolit Man

priming tools what are you using?

OK, I have about had it with the cheap lee hand priming tool that I've been using. I am looking for advise on some other setup. I have looked at everything from Sinclair to Hornady, hand held and bench mount. I have no idea what to get. What do you guys think? Thanks
    db2

hwat problems are you having with the lee. it seems pretty much bullet proof

I use a Lee handheld tool and think it's the best one around! The RCBS bench mount unit is OK but doesn't have as much "feel" as Lee's IMO....

How come you don't like it?

Curious,

Dennis

Boolit Master
    i like my lee hand prime tool, fits me hand better then the rcbs tool.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

I have 2 Lee hand held units .
    1 for each large and small .

I did wear out one after many years of use , but a new one was cheap enough .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    I use an RCBS Hand Prime, not the new one with the universal shellholder, but the older one that uses regular shellholders.

My father has broken 3 LEE's and has loaded about 1/4 of the rounds of my RCBS.

Otherwise, I use a Dillon 550B

Boolit Master

I use the Hornady. When I had this same question back in 2000 or 2001 the folks that answered me then said because the Hornady had the handle configuration that it does that it has the best feel when seating primers. Never used any other hand primer so I can't compare them. The Hornady was not trouble free but Hornady was really good about setting things straight. If I were to buy another hand primer I would buy another Hornady. HTH

Boolit Buddy

Rcbs

db2
    My advise is to buy the bench mounted RCBS Automatic priming tool. I have had one for years. I think it does have good feel. Several friends that had been using hand priming tools have tried mine and have switched. I had a spring on one of the primer rods break. When I called RCBS, they didn't want to know which one had broken. They sent me both new rods. Beat that for service!

Smile RCBS Bench Tool

Quote Originally Posted by rmb721
    db2
    My advise is to buy the bench mounted RCBS Automatic priming tool. I have had one for years. I think it does have good feel.
    I've also been using one of these for a LONG time. Mounted it to a board that I "C" clamp to the bench, prime 50 or 500, then put it away.

You can really get into a good rhythm with good feel on every primer. I bought a set of the longer primer tubes so I'm not stopping every 50 cases to "reload" the primer tube.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Man
    I have used the lee hand prime for over 10 years, every two years I have to buy another one. That powder metal just does not hold up, even when I keep it lubed. The last two that I have bought have alinement issues. I have to hold my mouth and hand just right or the primer hangs up on the next primer in line. This morning I finally had it. Time to try something different. Thanks
    db2

lee also.
    db2 next time in the old reloading supply store look at one of the ones you want to buy and see if it is made out of better material if not you may as well pay half the price and wear out a lee.
    Ken
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Buddy
    One more vote for the lee, I had an rcbs, sold it I still have a bench mounted , and a Hornady, and prefer the lee, actually two one for large and one for small primers. I just kep them lubed and get a new one every few years. DM

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I have the old RCBS hand priming tool that uses regular shell holders, and the ram priming system on my RCBS Reloader Special 4 press. both of them seat the primers straight, and the hand priiming tool is unbelievably ergonomic. I bounce back and forth between the two without prejudice. With both of these tools I use the old Army AMU trick of seating the primer to half depth, rotating the case 180 degrees, and then seating the primer the rest of the way. Both of these modern tools beat the old swinging primer arm on my C-H Super C press back in 1959!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    what is the advantage behind the AMU method?

In Remembrance

I have used the Lee for years, own 4 of them, but since buying my Lee classic turret with the priming attachment, thats all I use! If I'm just priming cases, I take the rod out and use it as a single stage.

In Remembrance

Check that. When just priming cases, I pop the turret out, and use it that way.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Redneckdan, the theory is that by pushing the primer in halfway from two sides, it will be seated straight. I seat bullets the same way. Also, the extra step makes me feel like I am being extra-careful!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Buddy
    I use both a Lee Auto-Prime and the Hornady. The only problem I've had with the Lee was a broken handle, (cost me I think around $4.00 and about two days, even to Alaska). I like the Hornady better; it's more comfortable to use. My only problem with the Hornady is that I use Lee shell holders, (it's designed to use Hornady shellholders, but has adapters for RCBS) and if you cock the tool just right you can tip the primer onto it's side just prior to the upstroke, especially with small primers. Some day I will take my shellholders over to my buddy's shop to use his drill press to bore them out enough to accept the included RCBS adapters, (guessing about .01" or so) & I think everything will be hunk-dory then. Alternately, I could buy a set of Hornady shell holders. My only other complaint on the Hornady is that the design necesitates the removal of the primer tray cover prior to changing shell holders; not a real biggie as I generally am only loading one cartridge type at a time. Still with the Lee, I could dump a mess of primers in the tray and leave them and easily swith from .38 SPL to .32 H&R. Anyway, just my $.02...

-SSG Klaus
    Last edited by klausg; 05-08-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon
    Also, the extra step makes me feel like I am being extra-careful!
    guess its worth a few mental horse power.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee and have been for years. I think most broken Lee priming tools are from overstressing the tool by trying to seat the primer too deeply. You should be able to feel the primer bottom out and seat the anvil - go no further. Trying to seat deeper gains you nothing but a broken tool and sore thumbs.

Feel the primer seat and stop.

Jerry Liles