MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti 45-70 Q's

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Chris:
    Do you know what the velocity is of the 67 grain Goex loads?
    I shoot the same Goex ctg load in my hiwall with the 457125 government bullet weighing 522 grains. I would like to know what the estimated velocity is. I ran mine through my Chrony but only got 1069 fps. I was told that the velocity sounded slow. Maybe my battery is low.
    Thanks
    Jack
    I shoot 68 grs with 530's, and the velocity runs at 1150.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Bravo , if the twist on that Uberti is 20", then you may have trouble stabilizing bullets over 500 grs . That in itself won't be a problem unless you're going to try and be competitive at 1000 yd matches. The 405 government bullet will stay pretty competitive at 800 yd gong matches .
    Now here's something to chew on... If you go with the 45-70 chamber, you can shoot black or smokeless just fine. If you go with the longer cases the 45-90 isn't so friendly with smokeless but can be done. The 45-120 cases are just flat expensive , somewhere in the 2$+ each category and its not common for those to be rated as safe for smokeless loads.
    That brings us back to the 45-70, using smokeless powder that cartridge is capable of meeting and beating anything possible with either the longer cases can do with black, and it's (45-70) also capable of velocity that will make your shoulder say edangnuff.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Chris:
    Do you know what the velocity is of the 67 grain Goex loads?
    I shoot the same Goex ctg load in my hiwall with the 457125 government bullet weighing 522 grains. I would like to know what the estimated velocity is. I ran mine through my Chrony but only got 1069 fps. I was told that the velocity sounded slow. Maybe my battery is low.
    Thanks
    Jack

If I remember correctly it's within a few FPS of what you are getting. And my batteries were pretty fresh

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bravo, I shoot the Uberti '85 HiWall in 45-70. Here are the bore spec's for it ...
    http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bor...ist-Uberti.htm
    I only shoot original gunpowder and all bullets are in the 530 gr range. I have vernier settings for all distances 200-500m and 1000yds using my favorite bullets. The rifle shoots accurate groups dependent on one's eyes and the quality of the recipe. In addition, the barrel is match grade broach cut
    Regards
    John

In Remembrance

A. Uberti High wall

sold by Cimarron Is the gun I have. It is in 40 65 and has the checkered pistol grip stocks. Single trigger that I stoned down to about four pounds. Nothing not to like. Except it don't shoot. It has the octagon 30 inch barrel and cased receiver. I have the RCBS three hundred grain PB boolit mould cause I knew the crescent butt would hurt more with heavier boolits. I can shoot all day and no pain. The twist is one in eighteen.
    I have lapped the bore and crowned the muzzel and fit the boolit to the chamber and bore and tried dozens of loads and several alloys, half a bucket of lead and still no joy. Real pretty gun though. Next load will be Buckshots load of 23 grains of SR 4759 with the same old boolit, filler and card wad. Crossing my fingers. Heck my .375 H&H magnum shoots one hole screamers with 21 grains of SR 4759 and 270 grain boolits at 1300 fps. How could I expect the Uberti to do any less? Probably the difference in quality between the Italian repro and a Ruger #1. I'm disgusted. Wish now that it was 45 70. They seem to shoot well.
    Oh by the way my gun was bought several years ago, serial # is 672. I see that the price has more than doubled.

Life is good

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    If I remember correctly it's within a few FPS of what you are getting. And my batteries were pretty fresh

Chris.
    I was mistaken. It turns out that the velocities I was thinking was from a nearly identical load but fired from my 28" barreled Pedersoli. I don't have figures for the 1885 with the 30" barrel.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Bullshop in one respect. If you have a rifle that can take 50,000 psi loads you can load a 45 3.5 inch case to equal some of the old British nitro cartridges in 45 caliber. Say a 500 gr solid at 2300 to 2400 fps. The brits mostly used those rounds in double rifles and I had handeled and shot six of them in various calibers suitable for elephant and other dangerous large game. They all weighed around 14 to 16 pounds (there was a reason that they used gun bearers). In a 10 pound rifle recoil would be more than uncomfortable (in a 15 pound double rifle it is uncomfortable to shoot from a bench). However, most people I know who buy 45 3 1/4" chambered antique style weapons do so for the macho effect of having a large cartridge to show their friends. I bought a Browning that had be re-chambered to that cartridge because I got the rifle for half price as the owner could not find anyone to buy it from him with brass dies and all thrown in for nothing. I had the old barrel changed to a heavy 45-70 badder barrel and used it for several years with excellent results. After I sold the 45-120 brass and dies plus what I had into the rifle and rebarrel job I had less than what a new browning would have cost me in 45-70

Boolit Master

Don and Chris, thanks for the replies. I will put another battery in the Chrony and set it out a little further to clear the smoke, and try it again.
    Jack

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone who has a uberti 45-70 straight stock restocked theirs to a grip stock?

What load are you shooting?

Best accuracy and load?

Mold you use?

I like to see pics of everyones uberti's in 45-70 and when was it made? Let me know barrel length.
    Last edited by bravo2; 12-03-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I found out that used rifle was gone today. So I will be looking for a new one or used one. I still got to save some though. In two weeks I will be half way there on a price of a new one.
    I found these though this on Buffalo arms website:
    One in 45-90 so far for $1118.00. Its a 1885 DST P/G 45-90 Win. 30" Oct. Uberti/Cimarron
    Firearms / 1885 Hi Wall Sporting Rifle and has the 2 set trigger.

1885 High Wall P/G 45-90 Win 30" Bbl Uberti/Cim regular trigger,$1001.00

Also the 1885 High Wall P/G 30" Oct. Bbl. 45/70 Uberti for $969.00

There are no 32" barreled ones in 45 caliber listed. All the ones I saw on the boards were 30" also cimarron offers in thus caliber from uberti.

CDNN has the winchester creedmor 30" for 1200.00 in 45-90. I like it also even though it has a half rd/octogon barrel. I don't know if they would have it time I save up for it though.

I have only used one of those 2 set triggers a couple times and I do not know if I want that but do like the lever. I notice its more brown looking then reddish is it in that model in pics I seen. I like the deep cherry type look I saw on the used one I had seen. Its the only one I ever seen in person. Which one would you guys get?
    Anyone know any good deals? Some place selling them cheaper?

I did find a place that list on ther website a 32" uberti 45-70 pistol gripped checkered highwall for same price almost as a cimarron 30" version. Hopefully they can oder one and price is correct. I emailed them to confirm it.
    Last edited by bravo2; 12-03-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Go one better go to gallery of guns.com and do a search for 1885's. They've got some prices on winchester's that will drive the Italians bonkers.
    Also C Sharps is giving a 10% discount on any rifle ordered or purchased from stock right now.