RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 1886 modification

Boolit Bub

1886 modification

I have a chance to pick up a used Browning 1886 chambered for .45-70. I 've always wanted a .50-110 1886, but can't really afford an original. If I rebarrel this Browning to .50-110 what other modicifcations will I need to make ? A new carrier / cartridge lifter ? I know the big .50 is longer than the .45-70. But if it's too much trouble, can a .45-90 be done any easier ?

Or am I just :takinWiz: away my money ?

Boolit Master
    I can't answer your questions but Bullshop did just this. If he doesn't see your question soon you should PM or email him.

Boolit Master

There were three different types of modifications on the originals. The carrier will need to be opened up for the larger rim. Guide rail on the right will need about .020 removed. May need to remove some on the left guide which is also the cartridge stop. The lever need to be machined down the allow the loading gate to open more. The frame may need to be opened up and the mag tube may need to have one side cut away for about 3/8". Slight differences in the frames of originals makes for the difference in alterations. I have not done a Browning but have done about a dozen originals. Chamber requires a good polish. I'm in the process of doing a 71 now.